Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OMG I screwed up...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
I was considering making a new username for this (because it soo embarrassing). But we are almost like family on this site, and it would come out sooner or later.

After getting the car back from painting, I’m putting it back together. When reinstalling the rear trunk lock and latch-pin, I closed the trunk. Now it’s stuck closed.

I’m able to push the lock in (like unlocking it), but it doesn’t release the latch-pin.
The rear lights are installed, so I can’t reach in. Popping out the targa-latch cups, doesn’t help much (my head is too big to see inside). Now I’m thinking about unbolting the hinges from the car, which might allow me some wiggle room. But before doing so I like to see if any of you have better suggestions.
Feel free to make fun of me (I deserve it), but helpful suggestions are most welcome.

Ps: I’m using the hood shocks instead of springs.
rhodyguy
Have you tried putting pressure on the lid while pressing the release?
HansJan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 18 2018, 12:36 PM) *

Have you tried putting pressure on the lid while pressing the release?

Yes. No luck with that.
SirAndy
The old ratchet + lots of extensions should do the trick. Best done with a helper.

- Pop the top latch cups and push them inside the trunk
- Have a helper shine a flashlight trough one of the cup holes onto the rear latch assembly
- Get a ratchet and add enough extensions to get you through the other cup hole all the way back to the rear latch. You may want to use a swivel extension at the end.
- Undo the two bolts that hold the latch to the rear panel
- Done

smash.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 18 2018, 01:53 PM) *

The old ratchet + lots of extensions should do the trick. Best done with a helper.

- Have a helper shine a flashlight trough one of the cup holes onto the rear latch assembly
- Get a ratchet and add enough extensions to get you through the other cup hole all the way back to the rear latch. You may want to use a swivel extension at the end.
- Done

smash.gif

Yep that's the way. agree.gif
Use 1/4" extensions and a 'wobble' extension at the socket end.
mepstein
BTDT. Works.
Dion
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 18 2018, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 18 2018, 01:53 PM) *

- Done

smash.gif

Yep that's the way. agree.gif
Use 1/4" extensions and a 'wobble' extension at the socket end.

This is why this site is so great!
76-914
agree.gif Then attach a small wire to the latch mechanism and route it behind the bumper. Next time it's just a tug on the wire. One time was enough for me. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
OH OH...Hey Bruce, @bdstone914 we may need to do this with Diane's car. I went to open rear trunk and same, button didn't release latch. Bring some 1/4" extensions Sunday...I have some but not enough. headbang.gif

Oscar
Olympic 914

QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 18 2018, 01:29 PM) *

After getting the car back from painting, I’m putting it back together. When reinstalling the rear trunk lock and latch-pin, I closed the trunk. Now it’s stuck closed.

If you put the trunk latch in 180 out it will not unlock. the pin won't hit the release.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Oct 18 2018, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 18 2018, 01:29 PM) *

If you put the trunk latch in 180 out it will not unlock. the pin won't hit the release.

Nailed it!
worn
Use the extensions. When I did this I was more than a thousand miles from home with the manual locked in the trunk. Cost $300 a night to stay in Yellowstone. Wife slept while I ratchet. You know what? I had taken the precaution of looking at this site.
So the extensions will work. I suspect you will have to use a lot of padding to protect your paint.
HansJan
Thanks every one.
I was able to remove the bulkhead seal and wiggle the extensions through the gap there. From here the reach is better (straight shot) and I could actually see, since I was never able to get a good look through the latch-cup holes.

It’s open.... Afterwards I broke the pin from the lock (need to buy a new one).

Pretty happy.
HansJan

Pretty happy.

Any one selling the little piece with the pin (that pushes the latch open)?
It screws on to the back of the lock. 914Rubber nor Pelican have it.
JFG
glad you got it open in the end.
i was dreading this so sorted mine before the lights went in.

my pin was bent and only a small part of it was contacting the mechanism. i stuck a small piece of aluminium tube over the pin to widen the surface area to minimise the risk of this in the future.
mepstein
QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 18 2018, 11:53 PM) *

Pretty happy.

Any one selling the little piece with the pin (that pushes the latch open)?
It screws on to the back of the lock. 914Rubber nor Pelican have it.

Tweet / Dan has them.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 18 2018, 11:05 PM) *

I broke the pin from the lock (need to buy a new one).

I bought one from Auto Atlanta. its plastic but does work, the pin was a little long and required some filing to fit and work right. check it first.

I was concerned about it being plastic instead of pot metal like the original, but it has been working fine.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.