Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-keying Rear Trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
So I reviewed the great link below and still have a few more questions:

http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

By swapping wafers around I was able to get the combination to match my key except for 1 wafer. It's not an end wafer, so assume not the valet wafer.

Is there a source for assorted wafers so I can find the right one?

I know it would work without that one wafer, but could I just go without it? It seems like it would provide as much security as the strength of the latch (not that I can see anyone wanting to get into my car).

I broke a couple of wafer springs and lost one. Is there a source or just look for a similar spring from hardware store or McMaster?

The finish on the lock is poor. I know nothing about the chroming process, but if I had someone re-chrome the parts would any critical dimensions get altered.
ConeDodger
There’s a guy in the member vendor section and maybe the classifieds that sells all the wafers to do all the locks. Pretty cheap. Might even be the guy that wrote that article.
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 18 2018, 03:54 PM) *

There’s a guy in the member vendor section and maybe the classifieds that sells all the wafers to do all the locks. Pretty cheap. Might even be the guy that wrote that article.

"Tweet" aka Dan. He also has all the little washers, o rings, spare parts, ect. A pleasure to deal with.
914 RZ-1
I just went to a local locksmith. He had everything. I asked him about it and he told me: "This is what we do, sir." in a "I-can't-believe-you're-even-asking-me-that" tone.
I got all the locks on my car keyed the same. Can't hurt to at least call a decent local locksmith and see what they can do for you.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Oct 20 2018, 12:22 AM) *

I just went to a local locksmith. He had everything. I asked him about it and he told me: "This is what we do, sir." in a "I-can't-believe-you're-even-asking-me-that" tone.
I got all the locks on my car keyed the same. Can't hurt to at least call a decent local locksmith and see what they can do for you.

Just trying to support one of our own. Tweet does a great job too!
Porschef
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Oct 19 2018, 11:22 PM) *

Haha, years ago when I had my E-type I went to the local locksmith to get a spare key made. Pretty big shop, with hundreds of keys hanging on the wall behind the counter. As the smith is searching through his book looking for the #, I'm scanning behind him at the wall. Granted, that key had a little nub on it that made it a little distinct, but when I said to him "I think it's that one there" he looks at me over his glasses and says, "Oh, what are you, a locksmith now?"

Enjoyed his crow eating session as he pulled it down and quietly began to grind it... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.