Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I dropped a wrench down a hole -- anyone know how to get it out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Charles Danek
I was trying to remove what I believe to be the speaker brackets from my 914. But the bolts just kept spinning with nothing to secure the studs on the other side. So I snuck a 10mm wrench through the hole pictured -- which I promptly dropped.

Now the wrench is stuck down there. I tried fishing it out with a magnet for a while, but without success.

Does anyone know if there is a way to access this area? Or have any other advice as to how to retrieve it?

Thanks in advance --

sad.gif

The wrench went down that hole.
v
v
v
IPB Image
JeffBowlsby
Telescoping rod with a magnet. Any flaps or even home center has them.
worn
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 18 2018, 03:49 PM) *

Magnet ought to work. What is the strapping steel in the photo?
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 18 2018, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 18 2018, 03:49 PM) *

Magnet ought to work. What is the strapping steel in the photo?

A mirror on a stick would help you find out why the magnet isn’t working. Good luck, we are all pulling for you.
JSA
Borescope can be a lifesaver.Used mine for lots of lost nuts and bolts.

https://www.amazon.com/Wallfire-Semi-rigid-...words=borescope
914forme

To get it out, you need to find it. A borescope with a magnet will help your search and rescue the wrench.

Learn from this and tie a string to the wrench the next time. If you ever worked on water, high in the air or other places you don't wish to have to go to retrieve a dropped tool, string or rope is your friend.
Valy
Just turn it upside down and shake a bit. The wrench will come out.
steuspeed
Strip some romex home electrical wire 14/2 wrap one end of the bare wire around a high power magnet. Wrap that with some electrical tape so the magnet cannot get away and stick down in the unibody. Fish the flexible copper wire down in the hole. Good luck!
Chris914n6
Mine is older and doesn't have the magnets, but I use one of these often.

24 in. 2-in-1 Magnetic Pickup Tool

Also a small mirror to see it.

Telescoping Mirror
Spoke
If I did that on my rust bucket 914 the wrench would be lying on the floor. beerchug.gif
JFG
that's a tiny hole to try to recover your spanner from. chances are if you can find it and you can hook it, you'll drop it at the hole again. i hope i'm wrong and you do find it and get it out.

but, is that effort really worth a 10mm spanner? i'd leave it in there and spray a whole load of cavity wax inside to stop it rattling (and rust proof that joint)

or, i would cut a hole in the long and get it out that way (last resort)

mlindner
With a mirror, first get it unstuck with a coat hanger.....when loose then try magnet. Best, Mark
mbseto
Your wrench cannot have gone far, it should be sitting just under that hole in the wedge-shaped door pillar base. You should be able to see it easily with a mirror.

But here's the most efficient solution: Get a kid in the neighborhood and dangle a 10-spot in front of him/her. Say there's a wrench down there and if you get it out for me, the 10 is yours. You might want to stipulate, no cutting.
Jamie
The shop monkey is never around when we need him most!
maf914
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 18 2018, 05:06 PM) *

Learn from this and tie a string to the wrench the next time. If you ever worked on water, high in the air or other places you don't wish to have to go to retrieve a dropped tool, string or rope is your friend.

I once found a big 15" adjustable crescent wrench while scuba diving off a former US Navy pier in Key West, FL. I assume the mechanic did not tether the wrench. It was scummy and a bit corroded, but it cleaned up nicely and now resides in my tool box. And it has come in handy a few times.
Charles Danek
"Just turn it upside down and shake a bit. The wrench will come out."

laugh.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions -- lots of things to try -- I will let you know how it goes!
Chip
Rent-A-Ferret.
BeemerSteve
Skil saw! aktion035.gif
wndsrfr
Leave it there already....move along, nothing to see here folks...
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Oct 21 2018, 07:41 PM) *

Leave it there already....move along, nothing to see here folks...

Didja get it?
whitetwinturbo
C5 will open the hole a bit laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.