Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jennys' Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bleyseng
So what's up with Jenny's car?? Has she found out how much it is going to take to fix it?
(I am not flying down with my welder that's for sure....)
Geoff boldblue.gif
Brad Roberts
Its toast. I'm pulling out her last damsel in distress card and asking all the BBS users for a inexpensive roller for her. Something within the state of California. I'll probably organize an event to flip the parts from her car into another roller. I dont have time to do it for free. Even a late model 75-76 tub that is decent would be fine (run plates from crash tub until it doesnt have to be smogged)

Help her.

B
Mueller
Hey B,

I just happen to know of a decent '75 chassis in Fremont....ex-race car that he is parting out.
fuch toy
Describe "toast".....lunched motor, crunched body, rust???? hanged.gif
Brad Roberts
3200$ "estimate" that didnt include fixing the floorpan that is completely screwed up. The front of the trunk floorpan took the brunt of the hit (did you see the bridge ??) The center tunnel is bent so bad the shift linkage in the tunnel is bent. The passenger seat is sitting 3-4 inches higher on one side than it is on the other.

Time for another tub.

B
Jeroen
Man, this is bad news!
Sorry Jenny!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
Is her car a real 6? Sounds like a lot of work to fix even though I am now pretty good at front trunks. Fixing a tunnel would take tons of time to do right. Even replacing floorpans is time consuming to do.
You are right Brad to just look for a rust free roller as she will end up with a car that is" right" and not half-assed.
Good idea to organize a event to swap out the parts for her! Post the dates and maybe I will come down.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
I'm not sure how I'm going to pull this off (flipping parts into another chassis for her) Once we start our next SSI run, I wont have much time to deal with her car for 3-4 months. About the only thing I can do is give up the space and some tools to help make it happen. Right now we need to get her car from the body shop. They have no space to store it and I have NO place to store it until we can get to it.

B
Brad Roberts
Jenny's car is a 4cyl 2.0. I added a sway bar and helped her really make it a clean car.

B
GWN7
I could store it. Have a bit of spare room in my front yard
Brad Roberts
I wish you where closer.. I would take you up on it. I'll chat with you later about the tub your offered. I have been running around all day and need some sleep.

B
Bleyseng
Is that the barrel you shoot at when you're bored? Nothing like the wide open spaces....kinda looks like Eastern Washington too.
Geoff
GWN7
Actually it is a target. 100yds from the house.

The tree line you see is almost 1/2 a mile away. It's where the beach starts. There is 110 acres of cleared land and a 25 acre lake just before the tree line, then sand beach, then the big lake.
JeffBowlsby
Hey I just spoke to a guy today in San Bernardino who has a 74 LE car TUB for sale. No engine, trans, center console or fog lights, but otherwise complete. He indicated he thought it would be a good driver and has owned a couple dozen 914s over the years, he is regular friends with Glenn Sager.

Would Jenny be interested in a White/Red LE car?
Brad Roberts
Thanks for the lead Jeff. We are standing a 99% chance that I'll be Jenny's eyes and ears when it comes to deciding on what chassis we use. One of my main goals was to try and stay with a bright colored car (the LE fits this) Please shoot me some contact info for this guy or I can call Glenn tomorrow and get more info from him.

2 chassis so far and its been a few hours.

B
L8Apex
damn, posts like these keeps reminding me I need to find someone to weld the front fender on my car.
Bleyseng
Wow that is incredible, two nice rollers already. The LE sounds like a good ride, course I have always liked the Creamsicle cars. That would be a nice car to swap all the good parts to and have something nice at the end of all this.
L8apex, bring it on over!
Geoff
Brad Roberts
Yeah pretty good so far (I forgot that Bontempi offered a chassis today before I even posted here) so.. make that 3 chassis'.

If I pull this off.. there will be some serious ASS kissing going on (from her..LOL)

B
Bleyseng
3 chassis to pick from is great ! I am still voting for the LE....
Let's hear from Jenny or is she now on groupie status with DD?

Geoff
ChrisReale
Nice pic Geoff. Thats got my vote. I have a few lenses and fog light grills I could possibly offer, if the need arises. Wish I could do more unsure.gif
Jenny
Is this what the LE from San Bernadino would look like, or is it the actual car? it is the creamsicle car, or a different color? I know Porsche's idea of orange and red are a bit skewed. I'd love to have an LE car. But I think I'll let brad be my eyes and ears on it. Big plus is it won't have to be smogged. Very cool. boldblue.gif
L8Apex
Geoff... yeah, let me just drive 1000 miles over and have you weld. you think I'll make it back by tomorow? hehehe. I'll find someone to help me or guide me through it.
Mueller
Have you cut the old fender off yet? The welding is not that big of a deal....the hardest part is removing the old fender and preparing the new (or used) fender for replacement.
JeffBowlsby
I like this one as well, but keep in mind that the San Berdu car will need work to look this good...:
fuch toy
I have a guy that can make the side stripes....I hear they are NLA.
Bleyseng
Well, just a $300 paint job and switch over the parts and away she goes.
Yeah, I know the paint will be peeling off first time she goes over 60 mph....
To me the biggest paint of these projects is the bodywork and paint, but doesn't Brad know a good shop that is doing Andy's car?
Geoff
Mike D.
So Jenny, or anyone else that was there,
I seem to have missed exactly what happened that day on the back roads of NoCal.
I've seen the pictures and heard the fall out. Was it those two High Fiving Squirrels from the insurance commercial?
I've got a shotgun and recipe for squirrel stew... biggrin.gif

-Mike D.
Jenny
I just took the turn a bit too fast, and the roads were slicker than anticipated. We drifted out into the guard rail and almost went off a bridge. But my passenger and I are both alright.

Brad does know a good body shop. In fact, that's where I got the estimate. Yeaman does very good work, I just can't afford to spend more on fixing the body than what the whole car's worth. Trust me, if I had the means, I'd definitely go to that shop to have work done on my car. I was even considering getting the body damage repaired by Scott, and then getting a Maaco paint job. But I'd only be saving a couple hundred. And if the only difference between a top of the line paint job and a maaco paint job is a couple hundred clams, I'll eat peanut butter sandwiches for a year to have the top of the line paint job. tongue.gif

BTW, the squirrels would already be stew if you used a shotgun. No need for a recipe!! biggrin.gif
L8Apex
Mike, that's what I need to do first. I'm affraid of cutting it wrong or something and won't be able to align the new/old fender on. Brad gave me just a small front piece of the fender, which is all I needed. Something like from the front of the fender to almost the middle of the wheel well.

When welding, how much should i do? Obviously, I'll be tacking it on first, but what about the seam left over from the to pieces mating together? I don't want to miss align the thing
ChrisReale
In both the LE pics, the car seems to be lowered quite a bit. Any ideas on how to get a car as low as those? Coil overs? cool_shades.gif
Brad Roberts
Chris,

I can sell you a sagging set of factory springs for 400$

EVERY time you see a 914 with its nose in the air and the ass dragging.. It needs new springs. Period. I cant count how many times people have told me they replaced the shocks "but the car still sags in the rear" Springs hold up a car...shocks do not.

B
Chris H.
You mean like this? I know, I need new springs. Soon....
This was before I stripped all the crap off my Fuchs.
ChrisReale
I realize sagging ass is caused by old springs. In the pic that Bleyseng posted, is this a case of saggy ass springs with the front end lowered to balance it out, or is there a different suspention combo that lets you set the car close to the ground? I know its hard to tell by just a pic, but any ideas? BTW I am just curious. I am not looking for a 914 that floats across the road. Its already low enough ph34r.gif
vortrex
wouldn't rear adjustable perches and raised spindle up front give this look?
Bleyseng
You can adjust the front ride height to match the sagging rear if you want. Low rider 914!
Its fine or a track or autocross car but not a street car, man you would be hitting the engine bar on everything!
If Jenny likes the LE looks and is going to have to paint it, why not paint it the Grasshopper scheme? Now that would be a one of a kind car!
Geoff smash.gif
Jenny
What colors are grasshopper scheme? The signal orange really grew on me. I loved the yellow that would come out when the car was wet and it was sunny out.
JeffBowlsby
Ah the Grasshappa...the rarest of the rare...so rare, no one has a photo. This is my photoshop rendition of the above car, but the actual green color has not been confirmed...

I calculate that the made <100 of them, and they did not make any for the european market...
richardL
Brad, Jenny,

Just a reminder - I have indoor storage and a tub if you want either (both free to you guys)

Richard wavey.gif
jonwatts
If they're both getting in a tub it better be indoors wink.gif

Jon
si2t3m
Jenny... Might consider this for the next offroad excursion? biggrin.gif

Marc-André
Bleyseng
Man, if she likes that she can stay in groupie status! Hmmm, maybe if it was 4 wheel drive it could be a good autocrosser.....
Geoff
Jenny
Richard, thanks for the generous offer. I might take you up on that, depending on what Brad thinks. This car thing is pretty much at his mercy. pray.gif I'm pretty much just going to throw money at him when he asks for it. blink.gif

and Marc-André... I wouldn't be caught dead in that abomination. I'm sure it serves *some* purpose, but it doesn't fit into my whole "cruising-down-the-road-with-the-top-off-looking-cool" purpose. cool.gif
richardL
Even if the tub is of no interest, I (unfortunately) have a 914 sized space in my workshop.

I haven't spoken to Brad, but if you need storage just let me know when you will turn up. I have no immediate plans to fill that space!
fuch toy
Ummmmm, TOP OFF.....CRUSING DOWN ROAD......better than doughnuts... rolleyes.gif
JeffBowlsby
In a quirky chain of events, I found myself on a business trip to El Ay yesterday...with an hour to kill before my return flight...near San Berdu...So I called 'Bob' to see if he was available to show me the LE on short notice. We met 20 minutes later and I took 50+ pics. Here are a few so you can see the 'white car with the 'orange accents'. Some of that orange is not from the factory...hehe...Its not terminal and looks to be a true LE car, but it is definitely a project car...He says it is complete, but the missing parts were at another location. He has everything except for the front LE spoiler, fog lights, engine, trans, center console. It would need all new rubber, interior, paint, rust repair, a rear trunk lid, door handles, its a rusty tub, but an LE tub if that is important to you. He says he has the heat exchangers, FI and engine tin. Don't know about the linkage.
JeffBowlsby
Two
JeffBowlsby
Three
JeffBowlsby
Four
JeffBowlsby
Five
JeffBowlsby
Six
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.