Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory A/C install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
In about a month I will be taking delivery of my next project, a rust free 74 2.0. this car was ordered with the A/C, these I understand were all dealer installed.
After looking at the install I just have one thing to say (for those of you who havent seen one)what a hack job they basically cut the front trunk floor pan out for the condenser and cut the engine seal area in the engine bay for the hoses.
I have been looking for patch peices for this area and I dont think anyone is reproducing that piece but maybe Im wrong.
I am not planning to use A/C and I am planning to remove and repair the places that were dealer hacked does anyone know where I can get a front trunk floor pan? I am guessing itll come from a donor car, any sawzall parties in the near future?
The short term plan for this is to bring it back to daily driver status with a projected driver status completion in Oct.
after that I will try and give a break to have it painted.
On a better note other than that the car is really clean and shouldnt take too much work to complete.

Oh BTW its signal orange
tryan
my ac must have been installed by the same hack. total butchery.
Brad Roberts
All of them where installed at the dealerships (what does that tell you ??LOL)

The six I'm building will have AC. I'll use mostly street rod oriented parts (Vintage Air)

B
Andyrew
Im putting factory air in my car, but im not having the big fat thing under the dash.. I am going to hide the parts I need from that hunk which comes out very nicely with a screwdriver. I will try and run the ac through the heater vents.. and just have those 2 knobs in the dash.. no 105 weather for me!! tongue.gif
andys
I think "dealer installled" meant they subbed it out to a local A/C shop. I bought a new blk/blk '73 2.0 with air, and recall going in for A/C service.....they sent me to a shop one block away that had the parts, pieces, and knowlege. I saw them converting other cars. Yup, the install was not pretty. Wish I had that car now, as the girl friend that hated it is (real) old history!

Andy
Ferg
Yep, my a/c car that is now a six conversion is not pretty in the front floor pan area, but the air blows nice and cool cool_shades.gif
MarkV
They hack the hole in w/ a jigsaw in the front trunk. My plan is to remove the condenser & build a frame/grid out of 1/2" X 1/2" angle iron, welded to the body, to clean the installation up & add some strength.

I bought a VDP condenser to replace my DPD condenser. The DPD condenser won't work very well if you convert to a rotary Sanden compressor; it's not big enough & doesn't move enough air to keep the high side pressure where it needs to be. The DPD condenser also doesn’t require that you cut a huge hole in the front trunk, the center of the trunk is left intact & you cut two slots 8”-10” wide slots for air to enter & exit.

I have heard that if you use a rotary Sanden compressor you can get away w/out having to notch the engine shelf & seal. I have a Sanden that I plan on replacing my York pump w/, I haven't installed it yet but it looks like the seal will still have to be notched. You may be able to just cut the seal & not have to hack the engine shelf.

It was 106 here yesterday so A/C is a must.
redshift
Pack all your A/C parts, and email them to me, I need DPDs, all I can get.

M
rhodyguy
kelly, the pss side shelve piece is hard to get without puchasing the whole unit, plus you waste a bunch of $ if all you need is the corner piece . but there is hope. if you can find a used corner piece from from the pass side you can make it fit nicely. basicly the the drivers side is a mirrior image. make a template of the curves and slide it along. when you like the fit flip the pattern over and it should fit nicely. poor discription, i'll go through some discs and see if i can find the images.

kevin

edit: the green piece is cut from the drivers side, pretty slick huh? dave ellison this for me. lucky the pass shelve wasn't rotted from the bat and i only needed the notch piece that was cut out for the compr. i'll bet the poor installer that had to retro fit ac into these cars groaned when he picked up his work order. lots of holes in hard to get to places.
rhodyguy
you can hardly notice when you paint it up.

kevin
echocanyons
Fortunately the PO bought the whole piece and included it in the deal.

Your repair looks real nice!

thanks for the input all!

(gettin soaked by claudette today in Corpus Christi)
cgnj
I have a factory air setup sitting on the shelf. I thought that I really needed air. I had never seen a car 914 with ac. Went to a wrecking yard to pull a 2.0 motor this weekend. Car had ac. After looking at all of the cutting, I don't think I want it that much any longer. I need a better solution.

Carlos
Mike's2nd914
Yeah, mine has the dealer installed air, looks like the holes were cut with buckshot. Really cheesy the way they did it. I do plan to get it working however. It gets damn hot here in Alabama. beer3.gif
BenNC
My car had the AC removed when I got it. I count 17 holes not including the screws for securing the tubing.

BTW. I'm heading out the door to pick up the plates. Time to finally bring my baby home tonight. dance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.