Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking to add a 911 to the family
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Spoke
The silver '89 Cab looks nice. Can't go wrong with the 3.2L with G50 trans.

The 911 was always my "IT" car from when I was a teenager. Was able to afford my '71 914 first then bought the '86 930.

The 930 is a completely different car than the 914. The 914 is much more stable in corners but the power/size/weight of the 930 is more of a beast than the 914.
rgolia
yep - we are 2k apart. Service records are all in hand...single owner. Should I wait them out?
dcheek
QUOTE(rgolia @ Nov 7 2018, 08:53 AM) *

yep - we are 2k apart. Service records are all in hand...single owner. Should I wait them out?

89 was the transition year where the 964 C4 was introduced. As a result, the 89 911 Carrera G Series impact bumper cars are the last production run 911's that have no air bags, no power steering, and still have torsion bar suspension and the G50 trans. Also, it is the only year of that series for the non- turbo cars to have 8" - 16's rear wheels. Thats how you can immediately tell an 89. It's much easier (and less expensive) to find a cab or targa rather than a coupe. The 89 turbos are really rare and have a 5 speed trans. All previous Turbos had a 4 speed. Of course there is the 89 Speedster which commands a substantial premium due to it's limited production.

I would say if you are only 2K apart, you should get the car. Single owner with service history is a plus and justifies a premium. It also is a special edition with a unique color. If you maintain the car and keep it for a couple of years you won't lose a dime IMHO.

As an added bonus, you can still do most of the maintenance on these cars yourself. I've adjusted the valves, changed the oil etc. myself on my '89 coupe. The G50 trans is a joy to shift. It "snick, snicks" into gear like a Hurst.

If there is a negative, it would be the A/C system. They original unit sucks. However, there are a couple of companies that make complete replacement systems that work beautifully. That's one thing I plan to do to mine as it's unbearable to drive in hot and humid weather without A/C. The only other known issues with the 3.2 engines is premature valve guide wear. Other than that they are pretty bullet proof.

Good luck.
Ferg
I didn't see any mention of miles, but if it were me, I'd want leakdown numbers. I'd hate to see it need a top end if paying a premium
rgolia
64,000 miles...owned by a little old lady....you know the one.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Oct 26 2018, 06:12 PM) *

Love a wide body. I have a 76 wide body Targa wide body with 3.0

agree.gif I like most of my P cars WIDE

Oscar

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
I had a '74 911 with an SC engine in it for bit.

For some reason it didn't do much for me...it was basically like a modern-fast 356 driving experience.
But, I like the look and feel of the 356 more. I could definitely tell the 356 and 911 were related.

I have/had more fun in the 914 and 356, even though the 911 as it was was a better overall car.

Give the cars you're interested in a test drive and buy whatever car feels right to you.
Mike Fitton
Too bad you just missed my old 964 Targa, engine was just rebuilt by a Factory trained Porsche Tech, current owner was asking $42k sold in 1 hour.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 7 2018, 01:38 PM) *

Too bad you just missed my old 964 Targa, engine was just rebuilt by a Factory trained Porsche Tech, current owner was asking $42k sold in 1 hour.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Yes Mike...I know, someone got a very good deal indeed.!!!

Oscar
rgolia
Any thoughts on the 1974 911 Targa? Trouble spots, things to look for etc?
Ferg
QUOTE(rgolia @ Nov 27 2018, 01:35 PM) *

Any thoughts on the 1974 911 Targa? Trouble spots, things to look for etc?

Outside the normal 2.7 issues to look at, mid year 74-77 cars are more rust prone than the later Gbody cars. It would require a very careful look on a hoist ect, even if a non salt state car, the rain intrusion on targa's takes its toll

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.