Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking to add a 911 to the family
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rgolia
I know very little about the 911, but it seems the SC model years (1978-1985?) are the least expensive at this time. I know the the faithful here has plenty of experience with these cars so looking for some expert advice. Budget is in the 35k range.

A big plus will be the wife can drive it and stay out of my 914. You got it, fight broke out while doing a nice Sunday drive through the country, I was going to fast. I was doing around 50 in a 45 and a honda accord was on my bumper - still I was going to fast.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(rgolia @ Oct 22 2018, 11:16 AM) *

I know very little about the 911, but it seems the SC model years (1978-1985?) are the least expensive at this time. I know the the faithful here has plenty of experience with these cars so looking for some expert advice. Budget is in the 35k range.

A big plus will be the wife can drive it and stay out of my 914. You got it, fight broke out while doing a nice Sunday drive through the country, I was going to fast. I was doing around 50 in a 45 and a honda accord was on my bumper - still I was going to fast.

I have a great lead on a 87 Targa, triple black.

Awesome condition.

PM me

Oscar
My 914
I don't know much about the SC but I do know about going too fast with the wife in the car. Once you get tagged for that offence, you're always under suspicion. Its funny how well wives can see the speedometer even from the extreme right side of the car.
914-300Hemi
I would suggest that you test drive a couple of 911’s from different years before buying one.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rgolia @ Oct 22 2018, 02:16 PM) *

Blame it on Foley for giving you that sweet rebuilt engine. smile.gif

I'm actually (kind of) in the market for the same thing, Ralph. Once I have the space I need to store it, which will hopefully be soon.
Shadowfax
SCs are great cars. Heck, I think all 911s are great cars. You may want to check out the Panorama magazine classifieds or at pca.org. The “mid-year” models from 74-77 aren’t too bad as far as price and seem to be getting appreciated again.

Also, with your budget you could find a nice Carrera. I love my ‘84 coupe.

If you do get an SC there are some upgrades you can do such as the Carrera chain tensioners that will help prolong the life of the motor. Also need to look out for broken head studs. Lots more info on the Pelican forum too.

Good luck with your search!
IronHillRestorations
For $35 you should be able to get a 964 cab. The 964 is a much better car than an SC in many ways. Just my .02
Mueller
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 22 2018, 12:04 PM) *

For $35 you should be able to get a 964 cab. The 964 is a much better car than an SC in many ways. Just my .02

Loved my 964..however if I get another 911 it might be a 996 since those are so much more affordable (and I like them)
Ferg
Lots of opinions, no surprise.

First make sure you drive a coupe and a targa. More different in road feel than one would expect.

For me given a 35k budget, I'd be looking at a 84-86 3.2 Carrera. I prefer the 3.2 to the 3.0 and I think the whole hype of g50 gearbox of the 87-89's has made the 84-86's a bit of a bargin.
ThreeV8s
Yep, I agree. The SC was built from ‘78-83. They switched to the Carrera (3.2) in ‘84 and built them thru ‘89. They switched from the 915 to the G50 for ‘87. My father has an ‘86 sunroof coupe. In my opinion, the ‘78-‘86 model years are the current sweet spot in the air-cooled realm and you can probably get the most bang for the buck in a targa. The G50 drives up the price of admission. Some people love it and others prefer the 915. I happened to drive both the 914 and the 911 back to back last night for long rides. I love my 914, but there is no price we’d sell the 911 for. Like the 914, they’re not for everyone, but that’s part of what makes them special.

There are plenty of people who know more about these cars than I do, but I’d be happy to give feedback from the perspective of a 914 owner with occasional seat time in a 911 for the past 25 years. Shoot me a pm and we can connect if you’d like.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 22 2018, 11:42 AM) *

Loved my 964..however if I get another 911 it might be a 996 since those are so much more affordable (and I like them)

996 is a good choice if you don't care about depreciation. Air cooled cars will continue to appreciate.

The 964 has a better engine, better HVAC, and better suspension compared to an SC or the next version, but the 996 probably even better creature comforts. You just want to get a later '91 or one that's had the cyl mod.

The problem with the 996's is the plastic pieces in the interior get gummy and don't hold up as well as the older cars.
TravisNeff
Just do it..

Watch for speedo changes in the 80-*83 models. The us spec cars came with an 85mph speedo. I see a ton of these now with 160mph speedo and the sellers state the mileage is accurate. Other than that I would buy the best car that your money takes you instead of honing in on a specific year (middies to carerra)

I personally like the earlier 78-79 cars with the tombstone sport seats and polished trim instead of black. I have an 82
mepstein
A SWB car. 65-68. It’s a real Porsche. shades.gif
Racer
SC cab is a one year only model (1983).. Otherwise you are looking for a 3.2 Carrera Cab.
Definitely need to get out and test drive samples of each.. Given their age, there can be a huge variation in how one drives compared to the next.

Depending on how you plan to use it, often times, the newest version is the nicest version. If you need the spouse to be comfy, a 964 or 996 would be a better choice.

not sure when seat heaters came into play for the cab.. certainly on a 996.. not sure about 993.. don't think te 964 had them. Living in a cooler northern climate, no point having the top down if you can't stay warm!
flyer86d
Here is my take. I have and have had a 1973 911, a 68 911 (which I am restoring presently), a1983 911SC Targa, and a 1980 911SC hotrod. The 73 has always been my favorite as it falls right into my hands and feels the most like a natural extension of myself. The 83 was the one that I drove the most. Hell it is the Porsche I drove the most as it was my year round commuter for five years. I could never love it though even though it was one of the most reliable and dependable cars I have owned. The 80 was primarily a track car but it showed my what could be done by swapping in parts from other models. It had Turbo brakes and torsion bars and 325 horsepower. A fairly light 911 with that kind of horsepower is a hoot. I’ll report later on the 68 when I finish it.

As a daily driver in good weather, I prefer my Boxster. It drives and rides very well, has excellent heat and A/C, and is fun both on a long trip or around town. Go figure.

Charlie
ChrisFoley
My dad is helping a woman in upstate NY sell her deceased husband's Carrera Cabrio.
I think the asking price is more like $40K. Currently advertised on PCA online classifieds.
bdstone914

I have $35 and want to buy all the 964 's that I can for that price. Sign me up. poke.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 23 2018, 09:32 AM) *

I have $35 and want to buy all the 964 's that I can for that price. Sign me up. poke.gif

Yea, that was a couple years ago price. We just got one for $10K but it's pretty rough.
thelogo
drunk.gif

Im seeing lots of 993 s for sale in that price range

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...6691592117.html wub.gif
Dave_Darling
My wife's 82 SC coupe is amazing. Very solid, feels all of one piece. Like it was carved out of a billet. Writes you long detailed love letters about what is going on at the contact patches. Makes gorgeous noises.

It will bite you if you get careless; trailing-throttle oversteer is no myth! It also doesn't like to change directions like the 914 does. Has good torque, decent power. Gets 20 MPG. HVAC is primitive, but I upgraded the AC using a Kuehl Air kit (modern compressor, extra condensors, new lines and evaporator) and it works pretty decently.

The 74-77 911s use the 2.7 liter engine which is fairly unloved. The 78-83 SC uses the 3.0 motor which is widely reputed to be bulletproof. It's not quite, but the bottom end can certainly last a half-million miles if cared for. The 84-89 Carrera used a 3.2 motor with Motronic engine management and taller gearing. Fuel economy is noticeably better than the SC; acceleration isn't much better.

In 89 they introduced the 964 platform with the 3.6 twin-plug motor, coil-spring suspension, and more. The 89 cars were either the last of the 3.2s, or 964-platform Carrera 4 cars with AWD. The Carrera 2 RWD 964 cars came with the 1990 model year.

They're all good cars. The 996 is probably the best buy in the 911 range right now, but as mentioned they are probably still depreciating. And they're water-cooled, losing some of the older cars' character.

I have also heard several assertions that the 996 Turbo is the best bang-for-the-buck in the 911 series. The arguments are a bit compelling...

--DD
rgolia
Thank you all this is great info. I definitely want to stay air cooled. I am on the hunt and I will likely reach out for a PPI when I find one. I am seeing lots of guards red ones, I guess that will look good next to my saturn yellow 914. I am thinking in the 78 to 89 range. I like what Dave had to say about the 82 SC, except the over-steer, gonna have to drive like a grandpa for a while. driving.gif
PeeGreen 914
78'S are fun. Good luck with the search. They are a lot of fun, although, I'd trade mine for my old 914-6 any day.
RickS
The ‘74 - ‘78 911s were lighter and more nimble than the later cars, but you would want a car with the thermal reactors removed and with a multi blade fan and Carrera chain tensioners. I have had a 72 911 targa and a 73 coupe and now own a hot roded 82 SC. The early 911s were quick and raw where the SC is a bit slower and a much more comfortable to drive over long distances. But if you like really raw, drive your 914. You will enjoy your new 911.
dax1969
Bought this one fm a fellow member.... just love it...
Also bought his 76 914 but could only keep one so the 914 was sold headbang.gif
Budget is there again so on the lookout for a nice 914 again biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Greetings fm Belgium
Dax

here is the 914 which is also in Belgium and owned by a friend now... asked him to sell it back to me.... got a big NO

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 26 2018, 09:46 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Greetings fm Belgium
Dax

here is the 914 which is also in Belgium and owned by a friend now... asked him to sell it back to me.... got a big NO

Click to view attachment

some friend! poke.gif you know how you can tell who your friends are? its the guy that would sell you your 914 back to you , that's a real friend. rolleyes.gif

very nice tho and I would like to have a early 911 as well. Last year I blew the chance to have a '80SC that had a 3.0eurospec motor , but had not run for 8 years, only rust was in front trunk and would have needed a lot of work, but for $8,000 I probably let one get away I should have grabbed. It needed whole new interior but that would be easy. - to the OP, good luck with your search!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the best to buy at the most reasonable price these days for an air cooled 911 is an 87-89. I would not buy any other unless I was a millionaire, then I would purchase a 69-73

QUOTE(rgolia @ Oct 22 2018, 11:16 AM) *

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Wow that sunflower yellow 914 is nice. My favorite 914 color by far

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2018, 07:12 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Greetings fm Belgium
Dax

Click to view attachment

some friend! poke.gif you know how you can tell who your friends are? its the guy that would sell you your 914 back to you , that's a real friend. rolleyes.gif

very nice tho and I would like to have a early 911 as well. Last year I blew the chance to have a '80SC that had a 3.0eurospec motor , but had not run for 8 years, only rust was in front trunk and would have needed a lot of work, but for $8,000 I probably let one get away I should have grabbed. It needed whole new interior but that would be easy. - to the OP, good luck with your search!

DRPHIL914
George, there was one for sale in Savannah recently, did you see it?(a sunflower yellow 914)
GeorgeRud
I’ve had both 914-6s and 911s, and they’re different animals. The longhood 911s (pre 74) are lighter and drive more like a 914 in my opinion. The later 911s are heavier and feel more solid, but don’t feel the same. If I was looking, I’d look for a ‘84-‘89 Carrera as the DME injection. The only issue is all the extra electronics, but at least they’re still ‘analog’ and still serviceable by a home mechanic.
rgolia
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 26 2018, 10:42 AM) *

I’ve had both 914-6s and 911s, and they’re different animals. The longhood 911s (pre 74) are lighter and drive more like a 914 in my opinion. The later 911s are heavier and feel more solid, but don’t feel the same. If I was looking, I’d look for a ‘84-‘89 Carrera as the DME injection. The only issue is all the extra electronics, but at least they’re still ‘analog’ and still serviceable by a home mechanic.

agree.gif Yeo the 84-89 911s is pretty much where I seem to be zeroing in at. Does anyone know the secret to contacting sellers on the PCA site?
jim912928
My 1980sc targa slightly upgraded with factory wide body parts...it’s a blast to drive. The 3.0 liter engine fires up first time every time. As others have said on the 3.0 engine adds. Also, Many folks also add a pop off valve on the air box for cis based engines for added insurance.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rgolia @ Oct 26 2018, 11:33 AM) *

agree.gif Yeo the 84-89 911s is pretty much where I seem to be zeroing in at. Does anyone know the secret to contacting sellers on the PCA site?

Are they not responding? I have usually had quick response from sellers when shopping there if the number or email is published in their ad. , otherwise be persistant they may be getting a lot of interested and takes time to get back to people.
rgolia
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2018, 11:52 AM) *

Are they not responding? I have usually had quick response from sellers when shopping there if the number or email is published in their ad. , otherwise be persistant they may be getting a lot of interested and takes time to get back to people.

I cannot figure out how to inquire to the ones that do not have contact info listed. headbang.gif
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(rgolia @ Oct 26 2018, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2018, 11:52 AM) *

I cannot figure out how to inquire to the ones that do not have contact info listed. headbang.gif

You have to log in with your PCA username or email address, and password. You can then click on “respond to ad”.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no did not where was it advertised?

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2018, 07:36 AM) *

George, there was one for sale in Savannah recently, did you see it?(a sunflower yellow 914)

burton73
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 26 2018, 07:28 AM) *

Wow that sunflower yellow 914 is nice. My favorite 914 color by far

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2018, 07:12 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Greetings fm Belgium
Dax

Click to view attachment

George,

I bought that 76 based on your option. My 86 Iris Blue Carrera was as both of those cars where great cars. A super high level of finish. The Yellow was original paint.

I have owned lots of 911 scene I was 25 40 years ago and the most fun cars that I have had have been 914s and 911 Targa’s. I had a 79 in the same color as my Carrera that I sold to Dax.

I have a very warm spot in my heart for Porsche of air cooled vintage.

Bob Burton / Bob B in Los Angeles Targas are the most fun to me 911 and 914
billh1963
911's are great. Here's one of mine....1985 Paint to sample (I believe it to be Marathon Blue) Targa

Click to view attachment
BK911
I've had a few 911s over the past few years.
The older they are the lighter they are, which gives a whole different driving experience.
SCs and Carreras are pretty much a tie mechanically, some prefer one over the other for various reasons.
If it were me, I would buy a 79 or earlier with the bright trim.
Condition and price being the deciding factor.
My 914
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 26 2018, 11:44 AM) *

My 1980sc targa slightly upgraded with factory wide body parts...it’s a blast to drive. The 3.0 liter engine fires up first time every time. As others have said on the 3.0 engine adds. Also, Many folks also add a pop off valve on the air box for cis based engines for added insurance.

Click to view attachment

I love the wide body look on an early 911.
914-300Hemi
Love a wide body. I have a 76 wide body Targa wide body with 3.0
Click to view attachment
SKL1
914's will always be my sentimental favourites, but have enjoyed several 911's over the years.
Never had a longhood though and just found a really nice '72 targa that needed to be put back together after a repaint/restoration. Always wanted a '72 because of the unique oil tank etc and first year for the 915 transaxle. Even matches my "original owner" '71 914...
Can't wait to hear the unmistakable sound of the early AC cars!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
somd914
As others have said, they are completely different. I greatly enjoy the 914 for redline to redline fun without getting illegal - the Carrera gets illegal quickly with its tall gearing, nearing 45 in first and 80-ish in second.

Agree there is not much difference between an SC and Carrera beyond engine, but I'd go the Carrera route for hydraulic chain tensioners (though 3.0 can be upgraded) and for Motronic electronic injection/engine management over CIS mechanical - added bonus for Motronic is a Steve Wong performance chip to bring the engine up to approximately Euro performance numbers.

For me, the useless A/C has been removed, RS door panels installed, boat anchor battery replaced with an Odyssey, and a few other trimmings have removed close to 100 pounds of fat.

Another excellent upgrade is a Rennshift or Wevo shifter, likely the best $500 you can spend. As for the G50, not convinced its worth the money, but it's not uncommon to be looking at 915 work within 100k miles which can get expensive.

As for a wife's car, mine started down the path looking for 911 SC or Carrera and wound up with a Lotus Elise SC... stirthepot.gif

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
I have a running project SC on ebay right now, no reserve, so high bidder wins it and owns it. Good car for someone who wants to spend the winter sorting it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Porsche-911-9...ve/283226683020

---Adam
rgolia
getting close on an 89 silver edition cabriolet...any thoughts?
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Can't go wrong with a '78 -'83 sc coupe...these are hot right now. Cab's >>expect to pay more. If you subscribe to instagram, check out Ryan's SC at the @eibach_world site. Maybe the most photographed Porsche at SEMA 2018 driving.gif
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 5 2018, 01:17 PM) *

Can't go wrong with a '78 -'83 sc coupe...these are hot right now. Cab's >>expect to pay more. If you subscribe to instagram, check out Ryan's SC at the @eibach_world site. Maybe the most photographed Porsche at SEMA 2018 driving.gif

It might vary slightly by region, but generally, coupes are the most valuable while targas and cabs can be had for less $. It was the opposite when these cars were < 10 years old. If you look at the highest selling 911s on BaT, etc., especially including the backdated cars that are fetching serious $, coupes are the highest.
Ferg
QUOTE(rgolia @ Nov 5 2018, 09:35 AM) *

getting close on an 89 silver edition cabriolet...any thoughts?
Click to view attachment

Great looking Cab.
jim912928
That’s pretty!
My 914
That silver and black is a nice combo.
ThreeV8s
Does the dealer have any (service) history on the car? The ad only has pics of the topside and the google reviews are scary. Definitely get a PPI and have them pull a carfax. I don’t mean to be doom and gloom...just looking out for a fellow world member.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.