Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Butyl cord
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
Hello Y'all,

Already purchased the Butyl tape, from 914 rubber.
Now I am reading in "Tech Tips 700" (tip 468) to use 1/4" (approx. 6mm) only.
Reason being is that a thicker kit will make the windshield sit too high and the chrome impossible to fit.

Does any one here have this experience with the 9.5mm butyl-cord sold by 914Rubber?
Would hate to go through all this hassle to find a problem like this.

In case it makes a difference, I have ordered the Sekurit branded Windshield from Prosource.

Thanks in advance (because I know one of you will advise).
JFG
I used 8mm (5/16) on the windscreen and the trim sits nice against the glass. 6mm is to thin.
Mikey914
You can stretch the chord to reduce the diameter. Did it on mine.
HansJan
Great. Thanks guys.
raynekat
Just going through this exercise right now.
I began with the 3/8" (9.5mm) butyl cord from advice on this website.
Unfortunately I experienced what you surmised....the windshield sat too high to get all the trim properly snapped in.

Out it needed to come, which was kind of a PITA.
I used a guitar string to cut the butyl and the windshield pushed out very easily.
I used the butyl primer before installing the windshield previously and I can attest that the windshield was really firmly stuck, it wasn't going to push out easily...hence the guitar string.
It took a couple of hours to clean up the old butyl primer and cord from the windshield and pinch weld area of the car.
I must have gone through 2 rolls of the blue paper towels and 1/2 can of 3M adhesive
remover to get it all off.

My windshield is a Sekurit from ProSource as well.
It really fits very nicely and is very well made.

I agree that the 1/4" (6.3mm) butyl will be too small.
I have reapplied the butyl primer and have the 5/16" (8mm) butyl ready to go.
Will have the windshield re-installed in the morning.
I'll post back here at that time to give you the result of using the smaller 5/16" butyl.
HansJan
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 30 2018, 11:45 PM) *

Just going through this exercise right now.
I began with the 3/8" (9.5mm) butyl cord from advice on this website.
Unfortunately I experienced what you surmised....the windshield sat too high to get all the trim properly snapped in.

Out it needed to come, which was kind of a PITA.
I used a guitar string to cut the butyl and the windshield pushed out very easily.
I used the butyl primer before installing the windshield previously and I can attest that the windshield was really firmly stuck, it wasn't going to push out easily...hence the guitar string.
It took a couple of hours to clean up the old butyl primer and cord from the windshield and pinch weld area of the car.
I must have gone through 2 rolls of the blue paper towels and 1/2 can of 3M adhesive
remover to get it all off.

I agree that the 1/4" (6.3mm) butyl will be too small.
I have reapplied the butyl primer and have the 5/16" (8mm) butyl ready to go.
Will have the windshield re-installed in the morning.
I'll post back here at that time to give you the result of using the smaller 5/16" butyl.

OMG.
Are you doing the work by yourself?
Would stretching the 9.5mm corn be viable in your opinion?
HansJan

I’m having the windshield send to a warehouse, and need to pick it up there.
Wondering if it fits in the back of my SUV (GL450).
Would you have a picture of the shipping crate?
raynekat
Doing it mostly by myself.
The wife will help me actually put the windshield in though.

I guess you could try to stretch the 9.5mm, but you'd have to try and be pretty consistent with the stretching or you'll get thick spots and thin spots.
I think just getting the correct size butyl cord is easiest.

I laid in my 5/16" last night and it looks good.
This morning I went around with a small piece of the backing paper that the butyl was rolled on and used a putty knife to flatten the butyl...if that's understandable or not?

I've now got a pretty consistent flat piece of butyl that’s not overly big around the entire perimeter of the windshield opening/pinch weld.

My windshield came with another windshield in a pretty big crate.
Not sure you'll fit that in an SUV.
I just removed my windshield from the crate and put a bunch of packing blankets in the back of my SUV for the trip back home.
These Sekurit windshields are well built and pretty robust, so they're not like a cheap Chinese windshield that you hear about cracking so easily.
raynekat
Heating & cooling co here now, so will likely do the actual windshield install tomorrow. Home repair and care of the twins takes precedence over car projects.... wink.gif
Shadowfax
Thanks for posting this, @HansJan . Am about to install my new windshield and trim this week. Just gotta get up the nerve unsure.gif Somewhat disappointed to hear that the 914rubber cord is too thick.

Not trying to hijack OP's thread, but did @raynekat get the 5/16" cord at NAPA?
raynekat
Got the 5/16 on EBay....but you should be able to get at your Flaps, although they might need to order it.

This is the exact stuff I'm using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Glass-Sealant...353.m2749.l2649

At $18.95 with free shipping, I think it easily beat the nearly $30 that my local store wanted.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
3m 1/4 inch with the two rubber spacers at the bottom and window weld primer around the perimeter with the 19 factory windshield clips insures a correct and well sealed installation. Also mirror patch 4 inches down from the bottom of the windshield chrome to the top of the patch, that way it will clear the visors and give you the correct rear view

QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 30 2018, 06:50 PM) *

Hello Y'all,

Already purchased the Butyl tape, from 914 rubber.
Now I am reading in "Tech Tips 700" (tip 468) to use 1/4" (approx. 6mm) only.
Reason being is that a thicker kit will make the windshield sit too high and the chrome impossible to fit.

Does any one here have this experience with the 9.5mm butyl-cord sold by 914Rubber?
Would hate to go through all this hassle to find a problem like this.

In case it makes a difference, I have ordered the Sekurit branded Windshield from Prosource.

Thanks in advance (because I know one of you will advise).
HansJan
Thank you reminding me of the primer and mirror patch.
Do you have these two items in stock?
raynekat
This is the butyl primer I used.
It's one of the best, so not inexpensive (+$20 for a can).
But I didn't want any issues with the butyl tape adhering to either the pinch weld area or the windshield itself.
This primer insures maximum stickum on both.

Click to view attachment

I got my mirror patch on Ebay, but many folks sell them.
The one I have has a red side (that peals off).
This is the side that goes to the glass.
I got a good result in putting the patch on the windshield first, then putting the mirror base on next.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 31 2018, 11:24 PM) *

But I didn't want any issues with the butyl tape adhering to either the pinch weld area or the windshield itself.
This primer ensures maximum stickum on both.

Click to view attachment

This is what I have too. @HansJan - if you can wait a few days, you can have the rest of my primer, just pay shipping.
DRPHIL914
whatever cord I got from 914rubber was perfect for the front but for rear it was too thick and I will end up pulling that window and re doing it with smaller 1/4" cord this winter sometime. but on front my brand new window from Porsche sits perfectly flat and trim is flush.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
1/4 inch for the front windshield and the rear glass, 3m butyl tape is the one to use. Don't forget the two rubber factory spacers at the bottom of both glasses

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 1 2018, 06:38 AM) *

whatever cord I got from 914rubber was perfect for the front but for rear it was too thick and I will end up pulling that window and re doing it with smaller 1/4" cord this winter sometime. but on front my brand new window from Porsche sits perfectly flat and trim is flush.

HansJan
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 1 2018, 08:38 AM) *

Do we know if there is a difference in glass thickness between the Porsche and Sekurit windshields?
HansJan
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Nov 1 2018, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 31 2018, 11:24 PM) *

This primer ensures maximum stickum on both.

Click to view attachment

This is what I have too. @HansJan - if you can wait a few days, you can have the rest of my primer, just pay shipping.

That is a very nice offer.
I’ll take it, but like to pay you at least halve your cost (nothing is free in this world).
raynekat
QUOTE(HansJan @ Nov 1 2018, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 1 2018, 08:38 AM) *

Do we know if there is a difference in glass thickness between the Porsche and Sekurit windshields?

My Sekurit (from Finland) is right at 6mm or 0.236" (a shade under a 1/4 in).
There's one data point for you.

It's very important when you're installing the windshield to understand how the windshield thickness and butyl final thickness together will end up.
As the two of those combined will let you know if you can get the trim snapped into place....or not as in my 1st attempt.
I've found that you're going to get a little compression of the butyl but not all that much.
When the weather gets cooler, the butyl is even harder to compress very much.

This is why picking the correct size butyl (6.5 vs 8 vs 9mm) is so critical.
And different cars with different shaped/thickness windshields will all need their correct size.

Right now my install is on hold waiting for some Porsche factory trim clips to show up.
The aftermarket ones I had previously used were of inferior quality and quite a few of them broke when trying to snap the trim in.
See thread on that problem if you're interested.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=334211
Shadowfax
QUOTE(HansJan @ Nov 1 2018, 07:44 PM) *

That is a very nice offer.
I’ll take it, but like to pay you at least halve your cost (nothing is free in this world).

OK you got a deal beerchug.gif

Just measured the windshield I got at the local dealer and it is 0.5 mm. Says it's made in Germany. Also ordered some Porsche trim clips to replace the ones I already installed so will be a few more days before I can get to the windshield. Also found the 5/16ths butyl cord at NAPA (part no. 4195). Once I'm finished I'll send you the primer.
raynekat
Can't be 0.5mm, but likely 5mm.
Your decimal is in the wrong place.
0.5 is very thin.
Shadowfax
Sorry meant 0.5 cm
Mikey914
You may want to use a thicker chord for smaller windshield, but we have the 8mm also -
https://www.shop.914rubber.com/Butyl-Cord-8...m?categoryId=-1

I used the 9.5 on mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.