Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First clutch job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
Just put a new clutch on to try to remedy the rattling I've been hearing when I press on the pedal. Already repaced the throwout bearing last year with no luck, so now I'm doing the whole she-bang:

The Noise

My old clutch says "Sachs" on it, but the disk says "Made in Germany" and has four springs vs. six. Original? (Surely not)
Do you guys see anything glaringly obvious that I may be missing? All of the springs seem tight.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
Looks a bit greasy, check the seals, engine and tranny.
Don’t forget to put a bit of grease in the pilot bearing, very light smear on the fingers that contact the throughout bearing also. You might swap out the plastic bushing in the throughout bearing arm, or just some grease there.
The rivet depth is important, closer they get to the surface more of a chance they will contact the pressure plate or flywheel, that means resurfacing and another washer behind the ball pivot.
Your doing fine.
mgphoto
6 spring is 911S clutch disk, 4 spring is standard type IV, both fit.
mgphoto
Rattle can be caused by lose rivets on the pressure plate, can only be checked when pressure is applied to the fingers.
Mark Henry
4 spring has't been made for a long while, IIRC you can only get the 6 spring.
The 4 spring isn't as strong as the 6 and has spring to FW bolt clearance issues when you grind the flywheel.
ericoneal
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 1 2018, 09:00 PM) *

Rattle can be caused by lose rivets on the pressure plate, can only be checked when pressure is applied to the fingers.

Thanks guys. Will check rivets. Rattle is driving me crazy.
porschetub
Old plate? I suspect regardless of friction material left appears the springs may be loose in the disk,hence the rattling,how tight are the springs ???.
6 spring is standard for 911 ,nothing to do with 911S,4 spring is fine for a 914 but the six spring is apparently better.
Don't muck around do everything as required (and mentioned) and you will be good for a long time.
beer.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.