Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT or 916 or ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Let's just say you were gonna build a car built to a very high standard. Which would you rather have and why?

1. 914-6 GT, lets use Eric's car as a reference point
2. 916 - steel roof, steel flares, hi end leather interior
3. 914-6 conversion, high level of detail including steering column/key...stock but high quality interior
4. 914-4 2.3 or so, detailed highly and overall appearance stock, possibility of 5 lug, 911 suspension

I'll start - for me, I've been leaning towards a car very similar to Eric's, but lately, a steel roofed 916 clone with a 2.7, and custom leather interior in the style of a real 916 sounds appealing.

In all honesty, I'd love one of each of the choices!
+ a race car! biggrin.gif
davep
Astounding, first vote cast; for the GT. While the 916 is the most rare, the performance of the GT is where it is at for me.
Steve
I say aim higher... Andy’s 3.6 or prs914 Excellence car. Nothing personal but lots of 3.2’s out there including mine.
phillstek
916 for me. I never take the roof off anyway but the rattles and squeaks drive me nuts.
KELTY360
As far as I'm concerned, it's not a 914 without the removable top. I'll take a narrow body 6 for the sound and look.
mepstein
Silver factory 914-8. The ultimate 914.
VegasRacer
What I drive should answer your question. smilie_flagge24.gif
sixnotfour
factory six...#1
914 Ranch
Hey Seanery, performance is always nice but comfort is better. What if you wanted to do The Route 66, Red Rock Classic or Taco Tuesday? Which is what I would like to do. Don't get me wrong, light and fast is fun but I would rather drive than tow. I have light and fast and it is fine around town but 3 10 hour days on the freeways would put me out of action for days.
A 3.6 or bigger with A/C.
If I was a big Lottery winner I would build 2 cars. An RSK and a 914. BOTH WITH FLAT 8'S... An autocross car and an Interstate cruiser.
sithot
The hypothetical build in latest 000 magazine is pretty nice. They opted for a four cylinder engine (for weight) and also proposed a 718 conversion engine.

Armando Serrano is know for his expertise regarding the 914/6GT.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/root
EdwardBlume
The ultimate 914 has been a wide ranging dream for many folks. The ones people seem to like the most retain a good amount of the novelty of the original car while adding performance. The GT does it for me.
Mark Henry
Very hard one as I like them all. biggrin.gif

Real nice 914 leave it narrow body.
Fenders need work may as well flare it.
A big /4 is nice and cheaper, but it will never be a /6. But a 2.7/6 and a 2.7/4 top hp build comes out about the same HP #'s.
Steel roof is interesting, but even with its faults I like the removable top.

I voted /6 narrow body because it's what I have. first.gif
Dion
I like Epstein’s thinking. I’ll take a clone of F. Piech’s,914-8 but I voted for
GT clone since that’s what I’m working on.
bbrock
Well, I'm the lone vote for the lowly 914/4. I'll admit that a Porsche flat six is dead sexy to look at and has a beautiful song, whereas the Type 4 looks and sounds like a box of buffalo farts, but I think a 4 is an awesome power plant for these cars. It is light and nimble and can be driven all day without draining your wallet. For street use, a 2.0 liter or a little larger gives me everything I want in a sports car. I have yet to drive a car that I enjoy more.
gereed75
GT. Never liked the 916 front valence treatment. Looks Speed Racer to me. GT is all about business. Assuming your talking conversion, it would be a versatile ride without angst - great for shows, just driving, C&C and track days.
IronHillRestorations
My choice is a 6 M471, but I put GT 6 , because that's the closest one. Street hot rod 6.
sithot
Alois Ruf on weight as he drives his SWB early 911:

<snip>

"It’s 1000 kilos. Today we’re driving 1,600 and the 500 horsepower that we use today feel different to the 130 we drove at that time because the extra weight, the 60% more weight is not really compensated by the extra horsepower because there is no compensation for extra weight. There is nothing better than saving weight in an automobile."
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 10 2018, 05:01 AM) *

factory six...#1

Ditto....
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(sithot @ Nov 10 2018, 10:17 AM) *

Alois Ruf on weight as he drives his SWB early 911:

<snip>

"It’s 1000 kilos. Today we’re driving 1,600 and the 500 horsepower that we use today feel different to the 130 we drove at that time because the extra weight, the 60% more weight is not really compensated by the extra horsepower because there is no compensation for extra weight. There is nothing better than saving weight in an automobile."

^ One of the smartest things ever said about the car I've seen, on any media platform.
sixnotfour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHzgsqYTA8
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there is just something about that GT that looks the best.

I missed my opportunity to buy a real one several years ago before they went out of sight, and regret it to this day.
rgalla9146
My ideal is a GT with a fixed roof and AC.
Essentially a 'practical' high performance 914 coupe.
With a 3.0 six or bigger.
iamchappy
GT with a 930 turbo engine in it, and a nice interior, like mine…...
sixnotfour
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 10 2018, 07:37 AM) *

Well, I'm the lone vote for the lowly 914/4. I'll admit that a Porsche flat six is dead sexy to look at and has a beautiful song, whereas the Type 4 looks and sounds like a box of buffalo farts, but I think a 4 is an awesome power plant for these cars. It is light and nimble and can be driven all day without draining your wallet. For street use, a 2.0 liter or a little larger gives me everything I want in a sports car. I have yet to drive a car that I enjoy more.

Well said....my first 914 is a -6 so im stuck....have had many a -4 also..but type4sale always hits
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.