Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your dead pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TravisNeff
Haven't seen many pics installed in a 914, but remember seeing them in catalogs way back when they had printed catalogs, lol. Show me smile.gif
TravisNeff
For a 911. I am thinking about trying a different oil line cover that would incorporate something like this. smash.gif
TravisNeff
hmm
orthobiz
There was one sold way back when, was it Imparts??? No pic, though.

Paul
TravisNeff
Thanks Paul, I did some google searching. Guess what? We seem to have this same post every couple of years. I must have forgot how to use the search tool.

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=269450
Mblizzard
Would highly recommend the Madddogs Motor Sports version.

Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
I like the simplicity of this. But instead of the nubbins it needs some ridiculous added to it.
pvollma
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 12 2018, 12:18 PM) *

Haven't seen many pics installed in a 914, but remember seeing them in catalogs way back when they had printed catalogs, lol. Show me smile.gif

Here's mine, from Rennline. Fits so well I didn't need to attach it to the footwell. I had just installed all new carpet and didn't want to wear a hole in it.
Click to view attachment
StratPlayer
My setup
914 Ranch
Probably not something that you want to use as I believe you will have a much nicer interior than I was looking for when I built her but this works fine in the lightest 914-6 in the World.

Click to view attachment

Now I get to see if the pic is right side up.
Nope...
VegasRacer
Fixed it fur ya Joe.

Click to view attachment

Actually, this pedal works brilliantly, because it is in exactly the right location.
sixnotfour
That Is ,,one dead pedal... lol-2.gif
TravisNeff
I see that all of these move the pedal a lot more to the left than what I depicted. What I was thinking is too close to the clutch pedal.
screenguy914
I made a pattern from a 911 factory dead pedal, then modified the angle to conform to the inner wheel well.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sherwood
Larmo63
I'm not sure if this is Weltmeister......?

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
From the 914/6GT parts book.

914.551.140.71 Foot supporting left.

Click to view attachment

Picked it up about 25 years ago label adhesive dried up and fell off.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(pvollma @ Nov 12 2018, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 12 2018, 12:18 PM) *

Here's mine, from Rennline. Fits so well I didn't need to attach it to the footwell. I had just installed all new carpet and didn't want to wear a hole in it.
Click to view attachment

Interesting. I ordered one from Rennline and it doesn’t even come close to fitting. I wonder what the sent me? huh.gif
TravisNeff
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 13 2018, 07:59 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Now we are getting somewhere, simpler the better.
Click to view attachment

Don't remember who here cut/sold these at one time?
TravisNeff
@mgphoto Can you share rough dimensions of this piece? Depth, height and width?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 13 2018, 11:59 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@mikey914 should reproduce that puppy for those of us with an original GT fetish...
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 14 2018, 10:37 AM) *

Click to view attachment

@mikey914 should reproduce that puppy for those of us with an original GT fetish...

Ben could probably do it as well to go with his GT style kit. He usually just needs a sample to get it started.
@MB911
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 14 2018, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 14 2018, 10:37 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Ben could probably do it as well to go with his GT style kit. He usually just needs a sample to get it started.
@MB911

agree.gif
VegasRacer
Another Engman Special.
Click to view attachment
dan10101
Good Thread, I need this.

However, I would have named it "Bring out your Dead... pedal"
TravisNeff
Still interested in this thread. I made a new oil line cover and have a starter bent piece for a dead pedal. I think I will shorten it up - or maybe try to get a little closer to that factory GT part with the bends. Perfect excuse to get a cheap-o bead roller
TravisNeff
Thanks Larmo, dimensions!
Larmo63
I'd just buy that.....

Done deal. I think they sell the rubber insert separately.
TravisNeff
But I am this close!
Larmo63
I think that a welded in dead pedal would be the shit.
TravisNeff
Poking around on Armando's website for some inspiration
TravisNeff
uno mas
Marv's3.6six
One more here is mine.
ChrisFoley
Minimalist, in my race car. The goal was to be close to and parallel to the clutch pedal, so I can quickly move my foot into action. Notice it has a side on the left to prevent moving my foot too far away.

Click to view attachment

maf914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 13 2018, 05:55 PM) *

I'm not sure if this is Weltmeister......?

Click to view attachment

Yep, Weltmeister.

I bought one years ago. It resides in a box of "Looked like a good idea when I bought it" parts. laugh.gif
jfort
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 14 2018, 07:37 AM) *

Click to view attachment

AGREE
Steve
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 14 2018, 08:26 PM) *

Thanks Larmo, dimensions!

I like this one, but it would hit the oil lines, so you would have to butcher it, to make it fit.
anderssj
[/quote]

It resides in a box of "Looked like a good idea when I bought it" parts. laugh.gif

[/quote]

I've got a couple of boxes just like that dry.gif
gms
mine
Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Jeff is egging me on to get moving forward with this. I got my seat mounted in the car and can start to get a feel for where this needs to be. Chris Foley's & the GT car dead pedal looks to be in the right spot for oh shit moments. But looking at Lawrence's pedal (the carpet) you can see where the foot normally rests for regular use. Which is lower and more to the left.

I could do a small pedal and weld it in. I am thinking to make this cantilevered out past the radius of the wheel tub just a touch. This would put the dead pedal a little closer to the clutch. My only worry that if i get it too close it is going to be a pain in the ass when driving around. i have wide feet/shoes so I better think about it.

Then What to do with the area between the line cover pedal described above. I could just run without carpet and put some skateboard grip tape on the area. Or I could try to do some sort of transition piece between the cover and the dead pedal. I am thinking less is more here.
GeorgeRud
I have cars with both types of dead pedals, but prefer the factory style over the aluminum one as it seems to feel more comfortable. I also have large, wide feet and need every inch of room. Actually, removing my shoes for driving seems to work best and I can then get my left foot between the dead pedal and behind the clutch pedal to rest my leg on long interstate drives.
Larmo63
I'll probably be changing out this low cast aluminum dead pedal for the Sierra Madre/original style DP soon.

This style works, but only does half the job.

Also, I find that a dead pedal is helpful for getting in and out of the car.
TravisNeff
Looking at your Lawrence, I think I see some of why they designed it the way that they did. I think that it was meant to be a little higher (where you have the most wear on your carpet) And that flange at the bottom is so that your feet can rest on the floor and not interfere with the pedal unless you are ready to stomp on it.
TravisNeff
So I got my seat in the car and farted around with the oil line covers. The first one I made (they grey one) is much more comfortable than the shorter second one I made.

I think I will try some trimming of the second one to get it a little closer to the wheel tub. I am afraid to cut it up, but it wasn't all too hard to make - just takes time
TravisNeff
I trimmed the 2nd oil line cover so that it is closer to the wheel well. Feels better. I also cut and bent some reliefs against where it will mate on the floor. I better make sure the lines still fit behind it. Then onto the dead pedal
worn
Maybe you racers can chime in. They pulled the long toggle switches from Jaguar E types due to safety concerns. So much for the feeling of being a jet pilot. I have a few homemade modifications in the cabin and wonder how much we should be avoiding sharp edges or padding things. What areas of the car are of concern? Curious because I have often wanted a dead pedal. Normally in auto cross I have my left foot planted on the wheel well as tight as I can.
TravisNeff
Grabbed a piece of scrap and started bending. Hard to see from the pic but it has a pronounced dead pedal at the top and a slope below it for resting you foot. This would be wider and more inboard, just getting an idea to think about.
914Toy
Keep it simple. A piece of flat aluminum bent as shown, secured with 4 self threading screws. and a piece of step-anti-slip material that comes with adhesive (Home Depot).

Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
I have some skateboard grip tape left over from another project.

I cut up some more metal. not liking it so much, but I do like the pronounced dead pedal piece.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.