Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1,200 Mile 914 coming to auction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TravisNeff
Holy smokes!
MCShack
Looks like this '75 914 2.0L has been cleaned up a little with some minor repairs and is back on the auction block this week at RM SOTHEBY'S as a 1,141 mile New Mexico barn find, now in Rhode Island and showing only 1,310 miles. It sold for around $78k in Dec 2018 and they are expecting $60,000 - $80,000 USD this time being sold with same story as all original and stored in NM garage since 1975. The same questions still exist as brought up in this thread before about the paint overspray on the driver door handle, gas tank questions, radio hole in dash with no antennae, front spoiler, and a couple of other things.

New Auction Link with pics and documents:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/1021/ope...-914-20/1149754

1975 Porsche 914 2.0
$60,000 - $80,000 USD
United States | Middletown, Rhode Island
6 - 13 October 2021
Chassis No. 4752907927

New Mexico “barn find” preserved in storage for decades
Single ownership until 2018, when acquired by the consignor
Driven sparingly, with just over 1,300 miles showing on the odometer at cataloging time
Finished in Nepal Orange over black
Powered by a 2.0-liter flat four-cylinder paired with a four-speed manual transmission
Fuel pump replaced in 2020 along with other service

This Nepal Orange Porsche 914 2.0 “barn find” was driven less than 1,200 miles before being stored in a garage mere months after it was purchased by the original owner as a gift for a girlfriend at the time who hardly drove it. The car’s first registration was issued in Albuquerque, New Mexico on 4 August 1975. An accompanying receipt documents an oil change on 27 August 1975 at Don Zimmer Porsche at 999 miles. By the end of 1975, with only 1,141 miles on its odometer, the Porsche was parked in the owner’s garage, where it would remain for decades, until finally being offered for sale in 2018.

According to the accompanying window sticker, the car was optioned from the factory with tinted glass, an intermittent windshield wiper, and the “appearance group,” which consisted of a leatherette steering wheel, fog lights, dual-tone horn, center storage box with an armrest, leatherette boot for the gearshift, and center console with clock, oil temperature gauge, and a voltage meter. The MSRP was listed as $7,623.65.

Prior to being sold to the consignor in December 2018, the 914 was detailed and serviced, including flushing the fuel tank and replacing the fuel lines. The original tires were also replaced for safe driving.

Accompanying invoices from Elite Auto Repair in Warwick, Rhode Island, indicate that the current owner had the car’s fuel pump replaced in September 2020, along with having the tachometer repaired, the brake fluid flushed, the windshield washer system serviced, the oil changed, and the tires rotated.

With just over 1,300 miles showing on the odometer at cataloguing time, the car has been driving sparingly during its time in the consignor’s private collection. Preserved in exceptional condition thanks to its storage in a dry climate for so many years, this Porsche 914 2.0 retains its original manuals with vinyl folio, copies of the original title and registration, and a custom car cover.

IPB Image
Jett
smile.gif at these prices, a really nice one can go for $100K?
windforfun
Highly suspect!
Arno914
Those old odometers read only 5 digits. Figure the missing "1". idea.gif
"He did buy it for his girlfriend..." Yeah, right. lol-2.gif
Jett
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Oct 7 2021, 02:20 PM) *

Those old odometers read only 5 digits. Figure the missing "1". idea.gif
"He did buy it for his girlfriend..." Yeah, right. lol-2.gif

Lol
930cabman
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 16 2018, 02:25 PM) *

I don't get the high dollar appeal of these "time capsule" cars.

It's a nice thing, but can you drive it? Afraid to put more miles on it? Will it go up in value? Is it an expensive paperweight?

With self driving cars now on the horizon, there may come a day that autonomous cars will be the norm and present day automobiles as we know them will be legislated (especially in Smog Nazi California) off of the roads. What then? What will these things be worth?

I'm enjoying my driving freedom while I can.

Not ranting, I'm just being realistic.

Exactly, riding the wave of appreciating values, how long will it be until the bubble breaks, gas will no longer be available, all new cars are self driving e machines?
mepstein
Paintings just hang on the wall. If someone wants it and they have the money, why not?
davep
Why is it green underneath but Nepal Orange on top?
Jett
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 7 2021, 04:22 PM) *

The green 75 is mine smile.gif just comparing a highly restored car to the orange one.
MCShack
QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 7 2021, 03:45 PM) *

It sold for $78k in Dec 2018 before it was cleaned up a little better. $100k might have been easier to get a couple of months ago but I'm not so sure today. I do believe the car is legit even with the couple of questions, there is just too much proof IMO.

The green car is very nice and I personally would rather buy it over the orange one.
Jett
QUOTE(MCShack @ Oct 8 2021, 09:31 AM) *

It sold for $78k in Dec 2018 before it was cleaned up a little better. $100k might have been easier to get a couple of months ago but I'm not so sure today. I do believe the car is legit even with the couple of questions, there is just too much proof IMO.

The green car is very nice and I personally would rather buy it over the orange one.

Agreed and thanks. …at 80K we would break even
930cabman
QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 7 2021, 06:27 PM) *

The green 75 is mine smile.gif just comparing a highly restored car to the orange one.

Great looking ride, is it Palma?
Jett
QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 9 2021, 04:36 AM) *

Yes, Palma Green 75 2.0. We bought her in great shape but went through a two year restoration to rebuild engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, minor rust in the trunk and lower passenger side firewall, and interior with all NOS carpet (thanks George).

Our 73 Delphi 2.0 car is in an over restored state, so we like driving the Palma car smile.gif

The 77 911 is Coppa Florio Blue
930cabman
QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 9 2021, 09:38 AM) *

Yes, Palma Green 75 2.0. We bought her in great shape but went through a two year restoration to rebuild engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, minor rust in the trunk and lower passenger side firewall, and interior with all NOS carpet (thanks George).

Our 73 Delphi 2.0 car is in an over restored state, so we like driving the Palma car smile.gif

Great looking collection. I recently scored a '75 1.8 Palma from Cali, with EGR and CAT lights. Not much rust and from my short time in the 914 World she is a good basis. L95K was low production as far as I know.
Jett
QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 9 2021, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 9 2021, 09:38 AM) *

Great looking collection. I recently scored a '75 1.8 Palma from Cali, with EGR and CAT lights. Not much rust and from my short time in the 914 World she is a good basis. L95K was low production as far as I know.

Thanks!

Very cool. We also have a 75 1.8 from Thousand Oaks that we bought five years ago for $4K + shipping. We are making a six clone interpretation smile.gif. Let me know if you need any of the 1.8 specific parts.

Cheers
MCShack
QUOTE(MCShack @ Oct 8 2021, 12:31 PM) *

This car just sold for $60,000.00 at Sotheby's today.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/1021/ope...-914-20/1149754
pete000
Seen nicer examples with 50 times more mileage...lol
Jett
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 13 2021, 03:37 PM) *

Seen nicer examples with 50 times more mileage...lol

Agreed. For me this car had too many unknowns.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.