Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Body / panel seam sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
Hi everyone.

I just spent the last hour and 1/2 or so searching for a post from a few weeks / months ago where someone asked about recreating the original look of the seam sealer in the trunk but, I can't find it.

We had to replace the rear panel in the trunk and we're about to put the seam sealer on and would like to replicate the original look as much as possible.

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks they could share with me? Or perhaps point me in the direction of any previous posts.

Thanks!

Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Easy, buy Wurth SKS and get the gun. Our man Kirk matches it exactly.

If you want to talk to him about it, 770 877 5743

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 21 2018, 04:12 PM) *

Hi everyone.

I just spent the last hour and 1/2 or so searching for a post from a few weeks / months ago where someone asked about recreating the original look of the seam sealer in the trunk but, I can't find it.

We had to replace the rear panel in the trunk and we're about to put the seam sealer on and would like to replicate the original look as much as possible.

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks they could share with me? Or perhaps point me in the direction of any previous posts.

Thanks!

Mike

mmichalik
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 21 2018, 03:15 PM) *

If you want to talk to him about it, 770 877 5743

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 21 2018, 04:12 PM) *

Hi everyone.

Thanks!

Mike

Awesome! Thanks George, as always. Happy Thanksgiving!
Mike
Tdskip
Very gracious George
bbrock
The problem is that special gun is @#$% expensive! I used Kent's trick of using bed liner in a shutz gun he shared on CAIRO's Six thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2568527 Simple and worked pretty well. I don't think the bed liner piled up as high as the original sealer but you have to scrutinize pretty close to notice. I think you could get a pretty close to exact match using 2 or more coats to build thickness. You can read my experience starting here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2659255 But here's a shot of the result.

IPB Image

and the trunk after paint:

IPB Image
mmichalik
Thanks for the great option there, Brent!

cary
Brent, well done.
Debug
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 21 2018, 04:08 PM) *

The problem is that special gun is @#$% expensive! I used Kent's trick of using bed liner in a shutz gun he shared on CAIRO's Six thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2568527 Simple and worked pretty well. I don't think the bed liner piled up as high as the original sealer but you have to scrutinize pretty close to notice. I think you could get a pretty close to exact match using 2 or more coats to build thickness. You can read my experience starting here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2659255 But here's a shot of the result.

and the trunk after paint:

I applied seam sealer built it up to the depth of the original sealer and then blew compressed air over it to get a texture. It's not exactly the same but very close. I haven't painted it yet but the primer should help blend it in.
TravisNeff
I read somewhere that if you brushed it on, then used a really stiff bristled brush and dab it on the top you could replicate the stippled effect (I think you would have to coat the bristles with something like acetone so the seam seall will not stick). Have not seen it done, so I am not sure how good of a job it does.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 21 2018, 09:13 PM) *

I read somewhere that if you brushed it on, then used a really stiff bristled brush and dab it on the top you could replicate the stippled effect (I think you would have to coat the bristles with something like acetone so the seam seall will not stick). Have not seen it done, so I am not sure how good of a job it does.

Nope, its not self leveling. Too tacky. It will stand up on you. I've tried the brush dab method and blotting it back down with wax paper to get a "look". It will end up looking like Dr. Suess's worst nightmare. The sprayer is the way to go because it spits the product a bit at a time and the amount of build up is controlled to obtain the desired texture.
mgphoto
Lord Fusor gun with sprayable urathane seam sealer, I switched to the Wurth product because of a bit firmer feel.

Click to view attachment

dr914@autoatlanta.com
you only do it once so why not do it right? Cars are now to valuable to fudge it
burton73

Acetone is too hot and will evaporate too fast. Try Paint thiner. Old School stuff. It takes a long time to try and will give you some working time

Bob B
mgphoto
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 23 2018, 01:22 PM) *

Acetone is too hot and will evaporate too fast. Try Paint thiner. Old School stuff. It takes a long time to try and will give you some working time

Bob B

Use the same thinner you use for the primer and paint, introduce as few different chemicals as possible.
I used urethane thinner with Deltron epoxy, than used it to sculpt and reduce the amount of seam sealer over certain joints. Stick dipped in the thinner, latex glove dipped in thinner can really smooth it out.
Literati914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 21 2018, 05:15 PM) *

Is that gun the same that's used for general spraying of undercoating (wheel wells, etc), and just dialed down for a much tighter spray pattern? If that's the case, it makes the price easier to accept.

bbrock
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 23 2018, 02:38 PM) *

Is that gun the same that's used for general spraying of undercoating (wheel wells, etc), and just dialed down for a much tighter spray pattern? If that's the case, it makes the price easier to accept.

Unless Kirk has a secret, the Wurth gun is a $300 item. The Lord Fusor version is a little more reasonable at $165 but still a hefty price for a one-time use tool.
Literati914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 23 2018, 03:49 PM) *

Unless Kirk has a secret, the Wurth gun is a $300 item. The Lord Fusor version is a little more reasonable at $165 but still a hefty price for a one-time use tool.

Well Wurth SKS is described as undercoating (stoneguard anyway), then there's this gun: http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-sks...sealer-gun.html

I'm thinking epoxy primer, brush on "seam sealer", followed by SKS, epoxy primer, color.
bbrock
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 23 2018, 03:03 PM) *

Well Wurth SKS is described as undercoating, then there's this gun: http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-sks...sealer-gun.html

I'm thinking epoxy primer, brush on "seam sealer", followed by SKS, epoxy primer, color.

Interesting. Would be great if that works. popcorn[1].gif
mgphoto
Seam sealer and undercoat guns are different.
Seam sealer will apply a bead of sealer at a continuous rate, tip is changed to spray the material.
Undercoat gun shoots undercoat and cavity wax, $350 from Wurth.
mmichalik
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 23 2018, 02:03 PM) *

Well Wurth SKS is described as undercoating (stoneguard anyway), then there's this gun: http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-sks...sealer-gun.html

I found that gun as well. If it's the right one, I'll get it right now. Can anyone verify if it is?
mgphoto
No not the correct gun.

This is

Click to view attachment

$154 on eBay
mmichalik
Cool, thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.