Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump wires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
Believe it or not, I cant seem to find them in my harness. Not that they aren't there, I just don't know what they look like. So my understanding is that on a 73 the pump is located under the engine shelf, but all the wires go into the engine bay via the snorkel, so do the pump wires pass back down through the engine shelf?..
jcd914
They run along the top of the engine shelf with the battery wires.
They go down through the engine shelf over by the hell hole.

Jim
JeffBowlsby
Where are you looking for them within the harness?
trojanhorsepower
OK, so maybe these two?

Click to view attachment

Two largish red wires in this bundle might be batter cables?
yellowporky
looks like them
clapeza
I couldn't find mine either. A previous owner of my '70 had some hell hole work done AND did a carb conversion, so my stock FI pump was long gone. It was replaced with a Facet rattle-box pump, wired directly off the distributor!

I could never find the original wire, so I ended up connecting into the factory multi-connector plug at the relay board.
The relay board diagram that's on this site will show you which pin to use.
trojanhorsepower
Thanks all!
Now I just need to figure out how to get my new wire through the snorkel to relocate the pump in the front.....
trojanhorsepower
Any idea what the little green wire with the black stripe is for?
yellowporky
I just did mine on my 73 last week. Here is what i came up with. You can see the 2 spade connectors that i used to connect to the original harness and then extended with 14 gauge wire to the front trunk. Yes i will be securing the wires in the engine compartment.
Hope this gives you some ideas
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
The late cars required a 12ga wire and ground to the front for the FP.
trojanhorsepower
Looks good. Did you notch out the base of the snorkel to make room for the new wires? Dang it. Now I have to pull the 14 awg wire I already ran and replace it with a 12 ga....
yellowporky
i guess i will re run 12 gauge wire now.
No i did not notch the snorkel
trojanhorsepower
Ah, i see now, you ran it in through another hole beside the snorkel and added another grommet. It looked so good i thought it was factory.
barefoot
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 23 2018, 10:00 PM) *

The late cars required a 12ga wire and ground to the front for the FP.

The late cars with the front mounted pumps had wires in the harness in the front
(Black with red bands for power and brown ground)
trojanhorsepower
So what about the little green wire with the black stripe poking out with the pump wires?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 25 2018, 01:59 PM) *

So what about the little green wire with the black stripe poking out with the pump wires?

That single green/black stripe wire is for the oil temp sender on the later cars. It goes to the center console connection.
SirAndy
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 25 2018, 01:59 PM) *

Oil temp sender going from the bottom of the engine (taco plate) to the front of the center tunnel where you can connect a gauge if you have the center console.

There's another thread about it on the front page right now:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=334716

Also, all the wires and their colors are described in detail in the wiring diagrams ...
shades.gif
trojanhorsepower
Got it. Now how long should it be. The wire is about 2" right now....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.