Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 at Canepa
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racer
So my son sees an ad in the back of Autoweek. "look dad, a 914/6 just like yours".. so I ask if it has tan interior too? well, no, its black, but from the pic it looks nice so I go online to check it out.

https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/1970-porsche-91465840/

A beautiful car. But what annoys me? When I read the ad it says things like

"Extremely period-correct restoration"
"Extensive list of rare and NOS parts used"

and twice mentions "a correct NOS heel pad with new perlon carpet"

But then as I scroll through the pics I see
1) questionable lenses (unless a euro car, no sidemarkers or red tailights)
2) wrong rear valance (looks like a -4 valance)
3) Really? 400 miles on the odo? is there a reason why folks reset the odo after a restoration?
4) Didn't see a jack handle
5) Ride height seems a little low (certainly not OEM), but that is subjective
6) I thought the underside of the front trunk and floorpans are body colored.. not black.. (at least on mine its body colored.. and on my 70-4 it was body colored)

On the other hand, I sure wish mine was that clean. wow.

Maybe I am just griping, but wondered what others thought of this example.
sithot
If Marco Gerace had anything to do with it I'm quite sure it's combed out nicely!

As for "zeroing", it's not unusual when a car or bike is taken to the bones and essentially "put new". IMHO, mileage doesn't really matter if this is the case. A 5 digit odometer is useless for stating true mileage unless it's backed up with records.

GeorgeRud
If Canepa’s folks have been through it, it’s probably very nice.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 27 2018, 10:27 AM) *

So my son sees an ad in the back of Autoweek. "look dad, a 914/6 just like yours".. so I ask if it has tan interior too? well, no, its black, but from the pic it looks nice so I go online to check it out.

3) Really? 400 miles on the odo? is there a reason why folks reset the odo after a restoration?
6) I thought the underside of the front trunk and floorpans are body colored.. not black.. (at least on mine its body colored.. and on my 70-4 it was body colored)

Well, he does have a automotive historian on staff to research, so maybe it is Euro?
Larmo63
I'd take it.
sixnotfour
The disclaimer statement at the end covers it all..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is a very nice car, and yes is too low in the front, (I hate the "rake" look) just needs someone who knows to correct a few things.

QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 27 2018, 06:27 AM) *

DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 27 2018, 08:41 AM) *

It is a very nice car, and yes is too low in the front, (I hate the "rake" look) just needs someone who knows to correct a few things.

X2...but maybe only on a 914. Most cars, including virtually all new cars, look best to me with a slight downhill rake. For whatever reason a rake looks a little goofy on a 914 to me.

A few twists on the torsion bar adjusting bolts "fixes" this car, however. smile.gif
Cairo94507
Beautiful car. drooley.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Racer
hmm.. I see a radio in the dash.. but no antenna ? Where is it!

I wonder what is so rare about the console (under the dash or between the seats?) Wonder if its the divided or sloped console between the seats too, since its covered with the cushion.

If the ad was right, the car only had 56,000 miles before restore.. I would think you would leave the odometer.

If a euro car, it should have a speedo in KM.. or should indicate on the posted COA. Maybe the option group listed is Euro? Doesn't say "US" delivery/ specs etc that many do (and yes, I know COAs are only getting worse)

Anyone call to ask about pricing?
sixnotfour
Bernie wanted $125k when he had it for sale..
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/sales_history_...9146_9140430300
Retroracer
It is a nice looking vehicle up close. The lenses & ride height issues are somewhat easy to deal with - but agree that the expectation from these guys is nothing less than perfect. Thats what you are paying for...

BUT If I was signing the check, I'd like to know what the story is behind the fairly obvious repair on the front right strut mount area?

- Tony
SirAndy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Nov 27 2018, 11:04 AM) *
I'd like to know what the story is behind the fairly obvious repair on the front right strut mount area?

agree.gif

Ugly welds too, looks like she had some work done in the past ...
smash.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes but we do not want to pick it apart, Andy, too much cad plating in the wrong areas and look at the driving light emblem, and the seat inserts are certainly not original. Very nice car though and we should be happy that hopefully it will sell for 125. Brings the value of all of our cars up

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2018, 03:32 PM) *

I'd like to know what the story is behind the fairly obvious repair on the front right strut mount area?

agree.gif

smash.gif
davep
The C13 option group on the COA should be interpreted as US Equipment.
I noticed the lack of drain tubes under the spare tire; but I am picky.
sithot
Marco’s car, not this one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6DbKiKst4Kc&a...eature=youtu.be
Tdskip
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2018, 05:32 PM) *

agree.gif

smash.gif

Here?

Looks like the same stress cracking as on a blue car I looked at in SoCal.

I'm going to start a new thread on this to talk about / learn how to repair that correctly,

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
As George said the seat inserts are not original, also they are the GM Camaro houndstooth pattern, why not at least use the correct German wool. Center caps don't match the anodized pedals on the wheels. These are just 2 cosmetic issues that were very simple to get right from the start, so what else is there? Automotive Historian on Staff, Lol!
gms
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 29 2018, 07:41 AM) *

agree.gif

smash.gif

Here?

I'm going to start a new thread on this to talk about / learn how to repair that correctly,

Click to view attachment

There are no cracks here, there was originally (factory 914/6s) tar around the top mounting area of the strut. This restoration started with a very clean chassis although I would agree that the black underside was a mistake.
defianty
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 29 2018, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 29 2018, 07:41 AM) *

agree.gif

smash.gif

Here?

Click to view attachment

There are no cracks here, there was originally (factory 914/6s) tar around the top mounting area of the strut. This restoration started with a very clean chassis although I would agree that the black underside was a mistake.

Yep that's exactly my thinking as I mentioned in the other thread.
sixnotfour
blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(defianty @ Nov 29 2018, 07:03 AM) *
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 29 2018, 03:01 PM) *

Yep that's exactly my thinking as I mentioned in the other thread.

Except, the tar was all scraped off and the area was simply painted black.

So, no tar, just black paint, then what the heck is that if no a ugly weld bead?
popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
Not cracks or welds ..the factory seal has been broken, and hardware replated ,,and new alignment,,leaving the old imprint of the factory alignment.....SIX

edit and some blk touch up....he should have put a pile of black goo on it like the factory did,,,
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 29 2018, 10:19 AM) *

Not cracks or welds ..the factory seal has been broken, and hardware replated ,,and new alignment,,leaving the old imprint of the factory alignment.....SIX

Except, the shape of the "whatever" does not match the mounting hardware.

If it was leftover goop from the factory, you'd think it would show the shape and outline of the mounting hardware.
idea.gif
sixnotfour
true view , It depends how much was piled on and may affect the pop off shape....some had a ton , some a little bit..
gcrotvik
It has a front license plate bracket on the rear bumper. The original OE rear trunk carpet did not have the hole and brass grommet for the spare tire hold down. Late outside mirror. The black undercoating on the pan is odd. Might be trying to replicate what the dealers did when they arrived off the boat.
Matty900
We stopped by Canepa for their open house before Rennsport and got to talk with Bruce about this car. Very nice car. Probably as close to a new car as you are going to get at this point. Sure there is always one more thing you can do, but there is not much left on this one. The one thing that surprised me was that there was just a little bit of oil dripping from the engine, but hey, they got that part right lol-2.gif This is a car that is all about location, when you go here and see all of the other beautiful and rare cars everywhere, (I think we counted 8 959's alone) $125k is bargain by comparison. really t the feeling of a kid in a toy store. If you ever get the chance, Stop in and see the place.
Mike Fitton
Sure looks like a dash cover to me.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 29 2018, 10:55 AM) *

As George said the seat inserts are not original, also they are the GM Camaro houndstooth pattern, why not at least use the correct German wool. Center caps don't match the anodized pedals on the wheels. These are just 2 cosmetic issues that were very simple to get right from the start, so what else is there? Automotive Historian on Staff, Lol!

Why is that funny? They DO have an automotive historian on staff. He gives tours. He talks about how restorations get picked apart. There was a Datsun racecar there when I was there. Some guy was criticizing it because it had a smaller gas tank than what it ran for an endurance race. You can bet if Canepa has something to do with it, it’s a damned nice car.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 2 2018, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 29 2018, 10:55 AM) *

Why is that funny? They DO have an automotive historian on staff. He gives tours. He talks about how restorations get picked apart. There was a Datsun racecar there when I was there. Some guy was criticizing it because it had a smaller gas tank than what it ran for an endurance race. You can bet if Canepa has something to do with it, it’s a damned nice car.

I didn't say it wasn't a nice car, just not correct in a lot of ways. I am an automotive historian also, not full time yet still working my day job.
Racer
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 2 2018, 06:04 PM) *

Agreed.

It is a beautiful car. But at what I would guess its 6 figure price ($120k ish asking price?) it shouldn't just be "close" in need of a "few simple things".. It should be perfect.

To me the issues mentioned in this thread are "glaring" and if "simple to fix" then, they should have been fixed. An in-house historian may not have even looked at this car.. maybe he was busy with 917 or Ferrari restoration work. Maybe its just a consignment sale for the guy who couldn't get it sold on Ebay. I don't know the background.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 3 2018, 05:19 AM) *

Agreed.

It is a beautiful car. But at what I would guess its 6 figure price ($120k ish asking price?) it shouldn't just be "close" in need of a "few simple things".. It should be perfect.

To me the issues mentioned in this thread are "glaring" and if "simple to fix" then, they should have been fixed. An in-house historian may not have even looked at this car.. maybe he was busy with 917 or Ferrari restoration work. Maybe its just a consignment sale for the guy who couldn't get it sold on Ebay. I don't know the background.

+1, I guess I am comparing it to my 6 that went for $82k recently. There are a lot more knowledgeable people on this site than any automotive historian. I think you are right about the car being on consignment, looks like the owners name is on a piece of paper on the passenger floormat.
gcrotvik
Double post. Sorry.
thelogo

Should be selling for 99 k $

Im sure it would be the only car there for less then 100k

I should have bought that bumblebee for10k when i had the chance
Matty900
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 3 2018, 05:19 AM) *

Agreed.

It is a consignment. I believe he said the car was built for Nick Woodman (GoPro founder) He got the car and then, wanted something else that Bruce had so now Bruce is selling it for him. I thought he said $125,000. I am sure that Bruce could solve any issues you may have with the car in the purchase.
larryM
confused24.gif

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." personalized Porches were celebrated - no more: museum restorations are the current rage
Gustl
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 29 2018, 05:08 AM) *

I'm picky, too ... so I noticed that the Tach is wrong (the installed Tach is from a 911T) rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
billsimmeth
QUOTE(larryM @ Dec 7 2018, 12:21 AM) *

confused24.gif

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." personalized Porches were celebrated - no more: museum restorations are the current rage

I think the replies to this thread are a reaction to the marketer's claims such as "Extremely period-correct restoration". To your point, I think the popularity of the backdated 911s and the recent hot-rodded 912 on BaT might argue otherwise.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Gustl @ Dec 7 2018, 04:19 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Nov 29 2018, 05:08 AM) *

I'm picky, too ... so I noticed that the Tach is wrong (the installed Tach is from a 911T) rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

Nice catch on the tach, most people would not catch that, since it is only the thickness of the redline.
porschetub
Bunch of stuff not right on this car found by folks that know more than me,from a company that should know better ,the price is too high based on the obvious incorrect items shown up from a few pics.
Not worth 125K IMO ...100k because it isn't original no matter who is selling it.
sixnotfour
. I believe he said the car was built for Nick Woodman (GoPro founder)

it was not built for sale to anyone specific.....ebay..
914bub
I don't have a lot of respect for Canepa cars. I use to live in Santa Cruz and worked around the corner in Scotts Valley. I had a friend who worked for Canepa and he is CONSTANTLY hiring. I guess you could argue he's looking for the best of the best but a high turn around rate isn't great in my opinion.

I'm not saying he hasn't made great strides and he does a lot better work than I ever could but having been in the industry for a LOOOONNNG time I can't respect the ethic.

That having been said, it takes balls I tell ya,.....BALLS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tBHHVZEQU0

Case in point:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/scz/jjj?query=canepa

EDIT..... Sure is looking hard for a Porsche tech,........ Wonder why?! You'd think a person of his caliber would try to recruit somewhere more legit than craigslist! Please,.......
KELTY360
QUOTE(914bub @ Dec 8 2018, 09:14 PM) *

I don't have a lot of respect for Canepa cars. I use to live in Santa Cruz and worked around the corner in Scotts Valley. I had a friend who worked for Canepa and he is CONSTANTLY hiring. I guess you could argue he's looking for the best of the best but a high turn around rate isn't great in my opinion.

I'm not saying he hasn't made great strides and he does a lot better work than I ever could but having been in the industry for a LOOOONNNG time I can't respect the ethic.

That having been said, it takes balls I tell ya,.....BALLS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tBHHVZEQU0

Case in point:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/scz/jjj?query=canepa

EDIT..... Sure is looking hard for a Porsche tech,........ Wonder why?! You'd think a person of his caliber would try to recruit somewhere more legit than craigslist! Please,.......

How do you know he's not also recruiting somewhere else?
914bub
I don't know where else he might be recruiting but if he is looking at a higher level you'd think he wouldn't be hitting craigslist for a Porsche tech. I just know the stories I was told by the guy who worked there who, ironically enough, was a loser in the end. He got that job on Santa Cruz Craigslist.

Let me clarify, I don't respect Canepa as a Company. I have nothing but respect for Bruce as a person. He's brilliant and very talented. It's the way the company seems to be run. Some guys have mad skills in certain ways but not in every way. I work for a great person who can't manage a business to save his ass and he has several businesses and business interests. Most are bumbling along but he's not hitting craigslist for talent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.