Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my rebuilt rear calipers back from PMB yesterday.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
My rebuilt calipers came back from PMB yesterday and they look GREAT!. When I sent them in originally, they had every day of 43 years of dirt, grime and wear on them.

Now, they are just like new and in many ways, probably better.

This completes my brake adventure on the car. We replaced the front calipers and rotors with a larger set that I purchased from @Chi-town . A new 19mm master cylinder was put in from 914rubber.com. The hard and soft lines were replaced with new PMB items and now the rear calipers are finished and will be installed this weekend.

I'm sure we'll have minor bits here and there, emergency brake cable and bellows come to mind but, anything remaining should be incidental.

When I bought my first car in 1982, I paid $350.00 for it. It was a 1962 Karmann Ghia that was an insurance total through my dad's body shop. This entire brake replacement was, needless to say, considerably more than that but I get the same exhilarating feeling today as I did when I was 14..

We also pulled the interior out and sent it over to Auto's International in Escondido to be redone. Seats, door cards and back pad. Can't WAIT to get those back and installed in the car.

We have some rust repair in the battery tray area to attend to still but, fortunately the hell hole seems very solid still. We'll be digging into that and, making sure the floor pans in the drivers area are solid, next.

After 3+ years of very consistent work, It's all starting to come together!
Wyvern
well happy holidays ... LOL
Keep going on your project.

PMB does great work.
A bit of advice ... Take your time when adjusting the rears . the cover cap, adjusting screw & system in general needs to be "understood", it can be a bit awkward and adjusting correctly is essential.
ctc911ctc
PMB is the best, I however agree with Wyvern, check to see that the gears are in the 'inner' adjustment access port. Nice shiny silver hex access bolt (cap? Cover?) on the inside of the caliper.

Much easier to do this prior to mounting the caliper.

CTC911CTC

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 27 2018, 10:45 AM) *

My rebuilt calipers came back from PMB yesterday and they look GREAT!. When I sent them in originally, they had every day of 43 years of dirt, grime and wear on them.

Now, they are just like new and in many ways, probably better.

This completes my brake adventure on the car. We replaced the front calipers and rotors with a larger set that I purchased from @Chi-town . A new 19mm master cylinder was put in from 914rubber.com. The hard and soft lines were replaced with new PMB items and now the rear calipers are finished and will be installed this weekend.

I'm sure we'll have minor bits here and there, emergency brake cable and bellows come to mind but, anything remaining should be incidental.

When I bought my first car in 1982, I paid $350.00 for it. It was a 1962 Karmann Ghia that was an insurance total through my dad's body shop. This entire brake replacement was, needless to say, considerably more than that but I get the same exhilarating feeling today as I did when I was 14..

We also pulled the interior out and sent it over to Auto's International in Escondido to be redone. Seats, door cards and back pad. Can't WAIT to get those back and installed in the car.

We have some rust repair in the battery tray area to attend to still but, fortunately the hell hole seems very solid still. We'll be digging into that and, making sure the floor pans in the drivers area are solid, next.

After 3+ years of very consistent work, It's all starting to come together!

jfort
I am a big believer in PMB, too.
mmichalik
Just to show comparison, here's a pic of how they originally looked and how they look now

mmichalik
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Nov 27 2018, 08:52 AM) *

PMB does great work.
A bit of advice ... Take your time when adjusting the rears . the cover cap, adjusting screw & system in general needs to be "understood", it can be a bit awkward and adjusting correctly is essential.

I'm sure the answer to this question is yes but, is there any documentation out there explaining this?

I understand the front's without an issue, these, well... not so much. So, any help would be appreciated.
budk
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 27 2018, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Wyvern @ Nov 27 2018, 08:52 AM) *

PMB does great work.

I'm sure the answer to this question is yes but, is there any documentation out there explaining this?

I understand the front's without an issue, these, well... not so much. So, any help would be appreciated.

Lot's of good info in the Lapuwali forum http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=5

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625 Rear Caliper adjustment
mmichalik
Thanks @budk

I will go through those posts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.