Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor swap, 2.9 (base) Cayman
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MotoringMan
Hey Teeners,

Over the years I've owned some 911's but, have recently acquired my first 914 with little to no rust (southern car) and this led me to join 914world forum.

My question is there been any Cayman motor swaps out there and threads I could read, follow and ask questions.

I have access to a complete 2009 2.9 (base) Cayman motor complete with harness and ECU.

Thanks,
Mark
Tdskip
First of all welcome! Good people here, glad you joined us.

Most swaps of other Porsche engines, as you likely already know, are air cooled 911 engines.

You would have a lot of work to do, but those cars are very fabrication friendly.

If you do go this route make sure to brace the chassis.
Chris H.
welcome.png

I don't recall any build threads here of water cooled Porsche 6's but there has been plenty of speculation, consideration, measuring idea.gif . There are also many Subaru 6 threads that could help you with coolant line plumbing, radiator selection , etc. The original verdict was that the Porsche engine was too wide. Then it was determined that the engine would fit if the /4 engine mounts were removed. You could use modified air cooled 6 firewall engine mounts that are readily available. You would want to use the Porsche 6 speed trans with it since it bolts right up as opposed to the stock 914 trans.
yellowporky
I believe the issue was the trailing arm mounts are in the way not the motor mounts witch are very easy to remove. There was a build thread in Australia that had a boxster motor. If i remember correctly he pushed the motor forward and had to move the coil on plug from the rear plugs to a wire to the coils and it still seamed too tight.
you will need to change the trailing arm suspension to something else.
Chris914n6
^^ the motor is too wide and hits the inner trailing arm mount. That is the big reason it isn't a feasible swap.
ndfrigi
Rick 918-S has a 928 engine on his 914 black.
Chris H.
Pretty sure I heard of a couple of successful swaps. I think they used LS coils instead of the stock coil packs because the clearance was so minimal. Very tight fit. Maybe someone will remember more than me and chime in.
thelogo
Its a width clearance issue or length

Because i assume the next logical step is a 718 4 cyclinder motor .

But will that have same / similar fittment issues .

And when are electical assist motors going to replace turbocharging
Of engines all together

Push to pass instead of having all the turbo complexity ??? wub.gif
BIGKAT_83
Running driving car with no mods to suspension mounts.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914_teener
2.7 or 3.4?

Nice.

One of my latest acquisitions.

Chris H.
Yeah that's the one! Thanks Bob! Looks pretty good in there. Did they use the stock ECU or aftermarket? I remember looking into the wiring and there was an immobilizer that might be a problem.
thelogo
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 29 2018, 11:46 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif

Nice rain funnel bet it connects to the
Coolant tank ?
eeyore
Does anybody have any idea what a 9A1 engine / tranny combo weighs?
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(eeyore @ Nov 29 2018, 03:12 PM) *

Looks like 260kg or 572lbs with the transaxle,bet a LS/V8 would be lighter.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(eeyore @ Nov 29 2018, 12:12 PM) *

Research says the motor loaded weighs right at 400lbs.

Fun fact, my vq35de weighs 300lbs. So not exactly a light weight motor.
eeyore
Research says the motor loaded weighs right at 400lbs.
Looks like 260kg or 572lbs with the transaxle,bet a LS/V8 would be lighter.

Boo!!! What on earth did they make those things out of?
MotoringMan
Looks like a nice fit. This there a thread of this build or do you have any photos and helpful advise.
Definitely use the 6M transaxle from the 9A1 but, one question is will the motor need to be moved forward or back to get the axle aligned and center of fender opening.
Another concern is over all height of the motor and how much of the upper truck cross section will fabricated. 9A1 motor measures from the crank center line to the top of intake runner just 15" which leads me to believe the original type 4 with injection was much higher.
Would also need custom axles made to marry the new transaxle and 914 hub.

I've yet to weight the motor but rolling it around on the floor seems 350-400lbs.

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 29 2018, 02:46 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

MotoringMan
9A1 donor
MotoringMan
1973 1.7
mepstein
QUOTE(MotoringMan @ Nov 30 2018, 09:17 AM) *

1973 1.7

Pretty car. No way would I engine swap it. Find a beater 914 and play with it.

I'm doing a suby swap on a chassis that the prior owner already cut out the engine shelf, half the rear trunk and installed a nasty roll cage that I had to remove. Chassis was hacked so no real loss. No way would I do that to the car you show in the pics.
championgt1
agree.gif
JmuRiz
+3, that car is too nice a starting point
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.