Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spot welder access?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amfab
I always assumed the big holes—the 3 or 4 inch diameter ones like in the floor pan and the rear trunk floor that have the twist-in caps—were for spot welder access during manufacturing.

I see there are some other smaller detents—maybe 1-3/4in diameter with half moon cut outs creating a sort of flap near the pedal cluster for example. Were these for the same purpose? Maybe they had an odd spot weld to get to, so they bent them open, did the weld, then bent them back and seam sealed them closed?

If this is the case, is there any reason—other than authenticity—to not weld them closed while I am cleaning up the body before blasting and priming?

Thanks In advance

-Andrew
mb911
QUOTE(amfab @ Dec 1 2018, 03:06 PM) *

I always assumed the big holes—the 3 or 4 inch diameter ones like in the floor pan and the rear trunk floor that have the twist-in caps—were for spot welder access during manufacturing.

I see there are some other smaller detents—maybe 1-3/4in diameter with half moon cut outs creating a sort of flap near the pedal cluster for example. Were these for the same purpose? Maybe they had an odd spot weld to get to, so they bent them open, did the weld, then bent them back and seam sealed them closed?

If this is the case, is there any reason—other than authenticity—to not weld them closed while I am cleaning up the body before blasting and priming?

Thanks In advance

-Andrew

I would think you could weld them up no issue..
bbrock
I thought maybe the c-shaped slots were for drainage when the chassis was dipped but really have no clue. They had little metal discs glued over them with seam sealer. When I replaced my floor, I went to great pains to re-cut the openings for the twist on spot weld plugs, but I didn't re-cut those slots. I did replace the metal discs in the divots only because I'm a freak. I don't think it matters if you weld or seal as long as they are closed up.
IronHillRestorations
I always thought the holes in the front nose panel and pan were for when the chassis were dipped on assembly line
second wind
Dipped for what?
gg
mepstein
QUOTE(second wind @ Dec 1 2018, 09:17 PM) *

Dipped for what?
gg

Supposedly for primer. I don’t buy it but some say it happened.
rick 918-S
If it happened the heat tube mufflers would be primed inside and out.
bbrock
I thought they dipped them for that PVC stromberg.gif that is such a PITA when stripping the car.
mepstein
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 1 2018, 10:00 PM) *

If it happened the heat tube mufflers would be primed inside and out.

Yep. And I've seen VW factory pictures but none showing cars being dipped in big pools of primer. If they did, there should be tons of it in the low spots of the floor pans and trunks.
amfab
The only dipping that makes sense to me is a a nice mild acid or salt water dip based on what I am seeing taking this car apart—probably did it on a dolly that tilted the car backwards about 10 degrees.

-Andrew
jtprettyman
QUOTE(second wind @ Dec 1 2018, 09:17 PM) *

Dipped for what?
gg

To install the rust....
barefoot
For the 911's the factory started galvanizing bodies starting in 1977 I think, so after 914 production ended. My 1980 911 Targa showed no rust.
ClayPerrine
The big holes with the twist in plugs were used to secure the panels to the jigs during the assembly of the unibody. I have seen a film on the 356 where they show the panels attached to the jigs.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.