Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more a/x excuses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I just took the car off the trailer today to heat cycle my new a/x Hoosiers and lo and behold...

No wonder I couldn't get a time in the afternoon ohmy.gif

KT
Trekkor
The tire was the left front.
Had cords showing all over and the on big rash with a bulge.
The right front was showing cords as well.

Cover your eyes! huh.gif

KT

Jeroen
you should learn to take your foot off the brake when your wheels are locking up laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jun 19 2005, 04:18 PM)
you should learn to take your foot off the brake when your wheels are locking up laugh.gif

agree.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jun 19 2005, 04:18 PM)
you should learn to take your foot off the brake when your wheels are locking up  
agree.gif
Crew to driver, Didnt you feel the vibration?

Good news you get new tires. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Didnt you feel the vibration?

Funny thing is: NO!

My last run of the day felt really smooth and clean. I thought it was my fastest of the day. confused24.gif

They gave me my time slip and I was shaking my head and saying " no way, no way" all the way back to the trailer.

I have it on in-car video and wanted to time it myself. w00t.gif

KT
Joe Ricard
Over driving car is easy to do with a six. me thinks It is too late for you come back to the force of the Four cylinder my young Jedi
J P Stein
That is not an excuse, it's an admission. The driver,owner, builder (that would be you) screwed the pooch.
When you flat spot a tire, it tends to lock up in the same spot again. When you get to chord, it's a certainty....and it takes less braking force. You might wanna write this down somewhere laugh.gif

grantsfo
Holy crap! I'm pretty sure I didnt lock up and no spins while I had those on my car for the first 4 runs. You would have seen something while changing tires right? ohmy.gif
Trekkor
You're all clear, Grant wink.gif

It's all for fun.
I changed our tires out while you were in the field.
There's no way I could have missed that.

It's amazing what concrete and asphalt does to soft tires.

If my new Hoosier's look like this at the end of the day on Sunday, I'm out.

My Yok's are taking a real beating.
Joe, yes, I overdrive my car... dry.gif

JP, you're killin' me... biggrin.gif ( wrote it on my dash )

KT
Steve_7x
Trekkor,

Learn threshold braking... flat spots occur when you exceed the threshold, and they will reoccur becuase you squared the tire, and when you brake hard it will naturally find the flat part of the tire, and it will get worse.

At least your not in F1 where it could break the suspension and the tire almost hits you in the head (ala Kimi Raikonenn).

Steve
Trekkor
Yeah, thanks.

This was the first time on race pads at Alameda for me.
The asphalt sections are very gritty and I was locking the fronts *all day*.

It was interesting, we were walking the course and somebody said, " This surface it great! ".

I said, " No..." Bent down and palmed the surface revealing loose gravel, sand and crud.

Just another thing to deal with. rolleyes.gif

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jun 20 2005, 05:05 PM)
It was interesting, we were walking the course and somebody said, " This surface it great! "

that was me ...

and my car stuck in that part of the course but got unsettled when entering the part where you said the surface was much better ... biggrin.gif

driving.gif Andy
Randal
Trekkor,

Are you wearing proper driving shoes or something else?

I really feel driving shoes help with feedback, as opposed to thicker shoes that provide little.

PS

When your times start going backwards and you feel your driving hasn't, it's always time to check the tires.

We've all been in the position where we were driving hard (and well) and had "something" else causing slower times.

Remember this is just part of the education process.

If times are going the wrong way - check the car - something probably has gone off.
EdwardBlume
You didn't feel that???

When tires are giving up the ghost- its like spring skiing - slogging and the times are disappointing. Nothing grabs good.

To get a better feel for your AX tires, cut a piece off and put it under your pillow, or knife a hole into the side and breathe in the tire air... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Randal @ Jun 20 2005, 06:27 PM)
I really feel driving shoes help with feedback, as opposed to thicker shoes that provide little.

dunno about that, i was faster then Trekkor using these driving shoes ...

biggrin.gif Andy
EdwardBlume
Damn, those are some ugly legs.....
Randal
Nice legs Andy, but we could have gone a long time without that posting!

Yea, I was thinking about "those" boots when I posted the note to Trekkor.

Actually you both are pretty strong guys, but maybe one of you is exhibiting better control over legs that can leg press 500 lbs.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Randal @ Jun 20 2005, 07:00 PM)
Nice legs Andy, but we could have gone a long time without that posting!

what about the ladies on this board? biggrin.gif

it might help that i have been wearing similar boots like the ones in the picture every single day of my life for the last 25 years ...

i know i would have trouble driving in anything other than my boots ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Trekkor
Ahh, yes the shoes thread...

SHOES

user posted image

user posted image

These are wonderful. I wear sandles between run groups.

KT
grantsfo
I know someone who says he drives AX barefoot sometimes. ..not me Now thats dedication to real pedal feel! My favorite AX driving shoes are my nike aqua slippers, then my fire proof driving shoes and then my street shoes.

kermit
SirAndy, were you sitting on the pot with a camera? laugh.gif
Jenny
lol2.gif They look like lumberjack legs!!

Jen
SirAndy
QUOTE (kermit @ Jun 20 2005, 10:14 PM)
SirAndy, were you sitting on the pot with a camera? laugh.gif

nope, in front of the puter ... type.gif otherwise, you'd see my shorts pulled down ... biggrin.gif

They look like lumberjack legs!!

is that a good thing or a bad thing ???
idea.gif Andy
Randal
These are wonderful. I wear sandles between run groups

Nope, not the same feedback. Driving shoes have very thin soles for a reason.

Carl
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 20 2005, 05:37 PM)
QUOTE (Randal @ Jun 20 2005, 06:27 PM)

dunno about that, i was faster then Trekkor using these driving shoes ...

biggrin.gif Andy

I think there's a half second in the socks alone ...
Trekkor
Driving shoes have very thin soles for a reason.

C'mon, these soles are all of 1/8" thick.
They are exactly like carting shoes, minus the price, of course. rolleyes.gif

KT
TravisNeff
Bah, you guys got it all wrong. You need them dutch wooden clogs to drive real fast..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.