Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Faking the funk, appearance group edition.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
When I got my 914 I was disappointed that it wasn't an appearance group car. It's a plain jane, black bumpered tangerine 72. I wanted sail panel trim, chrome bumpers, fog lights and a center console. So I started collecting parts. The more I looked at the car the more it grew on me. I really like orange and black as I'm a Giants fan and a Harley guy as well. So I decided against chrome bumpers. Taking the chrome steel wheels off and adding black ATS classics kinda sealed the bumper deal. I kind of decided I liked painted sails so sail trim was out. I installed fog lights with black painted grills and really like them. After looking at cars with center consoles they seem a bit cramped so now I'm thinking about not installing that either.

I'm wondering how many of you have added appearance group stuff and if so did you add bits and pieces or go "full appearance group"? I'm also curious if anybody has removed appearance group stuff from their cars and if so, why? I've always liked the looks of the fog lights over the plain grills so those are staying for sure. I'm getting old enough I'll take all the light I can get!
TravisNeff
I don't like the consoles too much. I like the spareness without it. Air cooled porsches are neat in that they don't have a big trans tunnel to break up the interior space. If I ever get around to doing carpet in my 911, the little cubby console is going to go.

I also love the look of the black front bumpers with black fog light grilles. I really liked the simpleness and no chrome on my non-appearance group 73 I had a while back. They all grow on you in different ways.
sixnotfour
agree.gif
actually scarce....I just got an Irish green one 72 .. green trim wub.gif
bbrock
I haven't added/removed appearance group stuff but have owned cars with and without appearance group and with and without center console. Honestly, I prefer cars without the appearance group but I really like the center console. I even prefer perlon carpet over the loop. That may be tainted by the fact that the appearance group car I had came to me with worn loop carpet that looked like ass and like to hoard dirt. The 2 perlon cars also had worn carpet that was obvious but didn't look as bad to me as the worn loop... but I'm weird.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2018, 11:35 AM) *

but I'm weird.

Yes, we know. We have been watching. poke.gif laugh.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 8 2018, 11:38 AM) *

but I'm weird.

slap.gif lol-2.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 8 2018, 01:38 PM) *

but I'm weird.

Well I think it’s quite safe to say that a good many of us here are weird.

You live the way you wanna live man

;-)
914bub
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 8 2018, 11:27 AM) *

but I'm weird.

;-)

Birds of a feather? biggrin.gif
mepstein
I thought I would would like a center console but when I tried it in the car, I didn’t like it. Too big and fights for space with my right foot. I do have a center deposit box that I can pop in for longer trips.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(914bub @ Dec 8 2018, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 8 2018, 11:27 AM) *

but I'm weird.

;-)

Birds of a feather? biggrin.gif

Weird rules!
RAX914
I did, almost 40 years ago.

My '72 came with Momo wheels, but with body colored bumpers and rear targa trim. I painted the bumpers black, added rectangular Lucas driving lights and cut the horn grills to expose the lights. I ordered the side chrome sail panel trim from the Porsche dealer and removed the paint from the rear targa bar trim. I bought "generic" black vinyl from an upholstery shop.

Also added an LE air dam, side stripes and that stupid Tornado mirror that would always flop around.

This picture is from around 1980 after "faking the funk":

Click to view attachment
90quattrocoupe
When I was buying my 73 2.0l, back in 1981, I looked at a lot of cars. I ended up with white without the outside appearance group, so black bumpers, no sail vinyl and no fog lights. But it did come with the interior appearance group, console and so on. I added fog lights with black grills. I liked the contrast of white and black on the outside and the black interior.

Greg W.
RickS
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2018, 10:35 AM) *

I haven't added/removed appearance group stuff but have owned cars with and without appearance group and with and without center console. Honestly, I prefer cars without the appearance group but I really like the center console. I even prefer perlon carpet over the loop. That may be tainted by the fact that the appearance group car I had came to me with worn loop carpet that looked like ass and like to hoard dirt. The 2 perlon cars also had worn carpet that was obvious but didn't look as bad to me as the worn loop... but I'm weird.

Ditched the center console and the plastic piece between the seats for a cleaner leaner look. Even though the car came with the appearance group, ditched the sail panels as looking a bit too 70’s Landau top like. But to each their own and own weirdness.

Click to view attachment
RickS
Console delete Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
no vinyl, no alum. trim, roof shortened and curved, seals on body in the rear..blk push on trim... wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.