Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
torakki
When I got this car and after trailering it home, the fuel pump was dangling under the car, held on by the fuel lines. The whole car was kind of a bucket but now it's getting restored and I'm not sure how the fuel pump is mounted. It's a '74 2.0 liter. The photos I see, show a pump on the firewall just to the right of the main wiring harness. But, I have no stud or mounting points there. Does it go on the bracket (photo)? Photos of correct location? Thanks for any input.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
adolimpio
Here's some good pictures.

pictures
Chi-town
If you're not going for the 100% correct restoration get a set of stainless steel fuel lines and mount the pump up front like they did in 75'
SirAndy
The original mounting holes are blocked by that hacked engine shelf repair. The bracket you pictured is for the fuel filter, not the pump.

But since this isn't a stock pump, it may not fit in the stock location. When i switched to a rotatry pump similar to yours on my carbed 2056, i mounted it on the firewall (with an inline filter *before* the pump), inbetween where the fuel lines exits the firewall and the heater duct opening.
popcorn[1].gif
Spoke
You may want to pull those 40+ year old plastic tubes and replace with stainless from Tangerine Racing.
JawjaPorsche
I moved my fuel pump to the firewall. I removed the interior back pad. Then drilled two holes for the mounting bracket. I used large fender washers for the bolts which I inserted from the interior. Picture below will show location and configuration. Good luck and welcome newie!

Yes, replace those plastic lines especially since you have your car torn down, much easier!
Mark Henry
The pump you have is a very good, made in USA Walbro, http://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl391-fuel-pump.html, but it is an inline FI pump so it would never fit the stock location. Stock pump for a '74 has the ports on the same end.

I'd never install a pump without rubber isolators or hose using worm gear hose clamps.
torakki
OK, looks like my car has had some alterations in the past. I like the location of JawaPorsche's which may be the easiest way to solve this, since I will have to fab something. I'll use rubber insulators which I use from a $1.00 rubber floor mat from Dollar Tree. I cut strips off of it and works great. Not to concerned with originality but the car will probably be 95% original. Just personal touches that will make it more fun for me. Not sure I want to replace the plastic lines since I already installed the fuel tank, without scratching any of the new paint. Don't think I can do that twice.
Thanks for all the great info and photos. Really helps me out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.