Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm an idiot, what the hell do I do with this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg Bell
Guys, I was vaccuming my pedal area so I removed the wooden board. I forgot to take a pic beforehand so I need you guys to show me the correct placement for the metal doohickey behind the clutch hole.

Is this correct, or should the black thing be behind the board?
mihai914
Follow the washer marks, they will guide you wink.gif
redshift
smile.gif

I'm with him.

M
Mark Henry
Looks good to me.
Greg Bell
I said I was an idiot! I was just woried that the black thing was supposed to be behind the wood (Although my brain said no). What is that thing?
mihai914
Clutch pedal stopper, prevents you from hitting the floor and stretching the clutch cable too much and having another winter project.
Greg Bell
Thanks, I supposed they intended it to be adjustable up and down? Hmm. Why? confused24.gif
SirAndy
yes, that's correct ...

that "doohickey" is the stop for the clutch-pedal. without it (or mal-adjusted) you will overstretch your clutch cable and if you're lucky, you'll "only" brake the cable, if you're not so lucky, you'll brake the clutch tube inside the center tunnel ...

the "black thing" is where your clutch pedal rod is supposed to hit the stop ...

btw. clutch stop adjustement (as well as throttle stop adjustement) is done best with 2 poeple, one in the back watching the clutch arm (working the throttle) and one adjusting the pedal stop accordingly ...

wink.gif Andy
redshift
The stop shouldn't need adjusting 99/100 in a complete car...

smile.gif

M
SirAndy
QUOTE (Greg Bell @ Jun 19 2005, 08:21 PM)
I supposed they intended it to be adjustable up and down? Hmm. Why? confused24.gif

because no two clutches are the same (wear, resurfaced etc etc). once the clutch arm is all the way in (disengaging the clutch) moving the pedal further down will only stretch the cable but not move the clutch arm any further (cause it can't go anywhere once it's all the way in) ...

so what you do is, you pull down the clutch pedal (by hand) and have a buddy check the clutch arm in the rear.
once the arm hits it's max. movement you adjust the stop so you can't move the pedal any further down ...

same with the throttle stop behind the gas pedal. have a buddy move the throttle body on the engine to WOT and hold it there. then you move down the accel. pedal until you feel the cable to be tight. then adjust the gas-pedal-stop so you can't move the gaspedal any further down ...

doing this will greatly prolong the life of your cables and save you the major headache of rewelding your clutch tube ...

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 19 2005, 08:27 PM)
The stop shouldn't need adjusting 99/100 in a complete car...

au contraire my goatloving friend ...

i have found that 95/100 cars don't have the pedal stops set correctly ...
wink.gif Andy
redshift
You 'shouldn't' have to..

smile.gif

DAPO aside..

M
Greg Bell
So, should I be worried? I just installed it where the old washers had left an imprint.
RoadGlue
Hijaaked! Does anyone have the rubber for the pedal stop? Mine left this world many many moons ago. Now that I've rebuilt my cluster and have the Alumunium board (thanks Engman!) I want the rubber stop. Anyone?

smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Greg Bell @ Jun 19 2005, 08:55 PM)
So, should I be worried? I just installed it where the old washers had left an imprint.

yes. i'd be worried. you never know if the PO knew what he was doing. get a helping hand and adjust it once and be done with it ...

wink.gif Andy
GWN7
QUOTE (RoadGlue @ Jun 19 2005, 07:58 PM)
Hijaaked! Does anyone have the rubber for the pedal stop? Mine left this world many many moons ago. Now that I've rebuilt my cluster and have the Alumunium board (thanks Engman!) I want the rubber stop. Anyone?

smile.gif

The hard part would be replicating the metal bracket the rubber is held by (if that's missing also). If you can't find the rubber let me know. Simple cavity mold.
RoadGlue
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jun 19 2005, 08:31 PM)
The hard part would be replicating the metal bracket the rubber is held by (if that's missing also). If you can't find the rubber let me know. Simple cavity mold.

I just need the rubber. smile.gif PM Sent.

Thanks!
Greg Bell
"yes. i'd be worried. you never know if the PO knew what he was doing. get a helping hand and adjust it once and be done with it ..."

Could it hold off till next weekend if I clutch lightly? driving.gif
redshift
Hold off on replacing the stop?

Sure... I never even fully depress the pedal.

M
jgiroux67
How do you know if the clutch tube is busted or the cables are shot?
McMark
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Jun 19 2005, 10:49 PM)
How do you know if the clutch tube is busted or the cables are shot?

You know when your clutch stops working. If you can shift, things aren't broken.
michelko
Hi guys,
right procedure to adjust clutch cable and stop:

Adjust the nut at the end of the clutch cable where it connect to the through out arm, so that you can move the pedal about 15-20mm
see the picture
michelko
after that adjust the pedal stop just enough, so you can shift in reverse without grinding. Thats what the manuel say.

smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.