Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldozer27
Apologies if covered many times before, but I did a search using multiple terms and got zip.

My question pertains to the knob 2nd from the left, just next to the headlight switch. What accessory is it for? I'm new to 914s and my car came with no manuals, accessories, or documentation, so please excuse my ignorance.

In my case, it doesn't appear to control anything, but when the headlights are turned on, the center lights up orange.

IPB Image
RickS
Fog light switch. Should have a rubber surround with green face with a lamp face.
Larmo63
That is an early 911 switch.

I think it was a replacement for the stock 914 foglight switch.
JawjaPorsche
The switch probably works but your fog light bulbs probably need to be replaced. They only work when your headlights are on.
rgalla9146
That switch/knob is desirable in the early 911 world but the yellow 'jewel' that is illuminated when on is missing.
DickSteinkamp
Should look like this...

IPB Image

To test your fog lights, make sure your key is "on" and your headlights are on and up and on low beam.
Tom_T
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Dec 18 2018, 08:06 AM) *

Should look like this...

IPB Image

To test your fog lights, make sure your key is "on" and your headlights are on and up and on low beam.

"Dozer" doesn't have his MY listed nor a in the VIN - so I'll just offer this clarification that the green bezel foglight switch was for 70-73 MY 914s, & the Amber bezel one was for 74-76 MYs.

The Amber type looks similar, but their OEM Hella changed the color for whatever reason.

Pick the color per your MY Dozer, & they're all around FS on here & 914club.com, evilbay, TheSamba.com, Pelican, CL, etc., as well as from Bruce Stone/bdstone & Curt/cabinetmaker & other members here - in both flavors - in quality ranging from NOS to driver or less, & priced accordingly.

BTW - as an former Sandy Eggan 1963-71 - I love your location name play! biggrin.gif

santa_smiley.gif beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Jonathan Livesay
You could probably get several of the correct 914 foglight switches for that thing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Fog-Light...m4383.l4275.c10
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree early 911 foglight switch without the USA dot mandated rubber pillow and bezel

QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 17 2018, 10:47 PM) *

Fog light switch. Should have a rubber surround with green face with a lamp face.

Bulldozer27
Thanks for the help. I should have mentioned that it is a '71, but I don't know if this car was originally an Appearance Group car, so I don't know if the fog lights were original. What switch would have bee in this position assuming fog lights were not original?
1970 Neun vierzehn
OEM fog light switch for my 1970/4, build date January 1970. Note, NO rubber surround. Fog lights are wired so they operate without the headlights being turned on or raised.

Paul
Bulldozer27
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Dec 18 2018, 04:18 PM) *

OEM fog light switch for my 1970/4, build date January 1970. Note, NO rubber surround. Fog lights are wired so they operate without the headlights being turned on or raised.

Paul

Mine is a '71 with a build date of September 1970. How does your switch operate? Mine doesn't pull out or spin or anything. It just lights up when headlights are on.
1970 Neun vierzehn
The fog light switch is pulled out to operate the fog lights.

It is strange that your switch does not pull out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.