Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone install new front factory suspension bushings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
Anyone install new front factory suspension bushings? How'd you do it??

I just got a set from Porsche, and looking at the bushings, install could be interesting.
Jacob
Ian Karr did a nice video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AysZlHr2lM
Tdskip
+1, lots of discussions that are applicable if you search on Porsche 911 front suspension refresh etc. because it’s all basically the same stuff.

I have to do this on one of mine as well, and can tell you that having done it on a 911 and 912 it is a very worthwhile job.

Don’t be shy about asking questions or if you need help.
iankarr
QUOTE(Jacob @ Dec 20 2018, 10:24 AM) *

Thanks Jacob. Glad this video is helpful.

The process is tricky and I went through a few sets of bushings during the install. @mikey914 and @matty900 we’re super helpful during production, assisting me in documenting the optimal process. As I mention in the video, it’s a good idea to order a few extras sets and return whatever you don’t use. I’m not sure about the Porsche OEM ones, but the 914rubber bushings aren’t expensive. For other people considering this, the elephant racing ones are a bunch more spendy last I checked and if you’re not going with polybronze, 914rubber’s versions are at least as good as theirs. The URO ones seem to be made to wider tolerances and, according to Elephant, use materials that aren’t as optimal. Whichever bushings you choose, this is not a job you want to do twice, so choose wisely. You can definitely do this with patience and by exactly sticking to the steps in the video. And the ride improvement is worth it.

Others here in the brain trust are far more knowledgeable than I am and this community will support you every step of the way. Just be safe!
IronHillRestorations
I've got factory bushings, which I think are harder durometer than the aftermarket parts, and don't come with the install tools.
bigkensteele
I borrowed the Elephant Racing tools from a fellow member and used copious amounts of hand soap and my 12 ton HF press. I also used the Elephant instructions to index the ends. It is important that when pressing them on, they should be as close as possible to the final indexing because moving them is tough if you are concerned about scraping up your new powder coating.

914Rubber bushings are very close to the original in rubber stiffness. ER is not.
IronHillRestorations
Hmm, I wonder if anyone has the tools who’d loan to me
76-914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 20 2018, 10:33 AM) *

I did it w/o the tools using a bench press and glycerin. With your experience it will be a cake walk. beerchug.gif
n2j2ryan
I just ordered a set including the tool, but probably won't install until the end of January. If you are not in a rush I could definitely send your way once finished.
914forme
Both tools are easily machined locally if you know the sizes you need. Elephant installation video

Of course depending on the labor cost for. you our your local machinist, you might just want to spend the $225 and sell the bushings with installation service.

poke.gif If someone has a set they don't need anymore I am a tool hoarder, I would love to put a set in my 914 / 911 speciality tool drawer(s). collection keeps growing. shades.gif
Larmo63
It's easy if I can do it.

Pop the plug off of the front end of the A arm and use long threaded stock down the inside, big fender washers, and big nuts.

I borrowed the tools from Bruce Stone, I know they've made the rounds. As mentioned, watch the Elephant Racing video a couple times, an iPhone has the compass/degree app on it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 20 2018, 12:33 PM) *

bye1.gif
Yes someone will
bdstone914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 20 2018, 12:33 PM) *

@IronHillRestorations

Me.
bye1.gif

I have installed all brands except Porsche.
Uro are too soft and poor and inconsistant. Did 5 pairs of them. Easy to install cause they are too soft. 914 Rubber and Elephant are about the same stiffer material.
I sold one set of originals at Pelican and they had a hard time with they until they used grease

They were about $20 each.

Elephant's tools are aluminum. 914 Rubber are Delrin. I like that material better. I prefer to use the 3 ft section of 5/8 or 3/4 inch threadall with steel discs and washers. Grease all friction surfaces. Especially with the aluminum. It galls easier.

Heat and grease on the correct surfaces is the trick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.