Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5x7", 4x6" which speakers work for the stock pod?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
FlacaProductions
Yup - footwell foam area seems like the place. Was REALLY hoping under the seat would work....
914werke
Bob have you fit those yet? They look like they would still impede on the heat tube?
You might find you have to mod your bracket to recess the plate closer to the grill
914forme
@bbrock nice speaker and that area for a ported or sealed enclosure might just be doable.

Now to dig up the measurements, and run it through my old sub box calculator.

lol-2.gif It is still on 3.5" disk, I can't even remember what OS it ran on confused24.gif
FlacaProductions
What are the dimensions left if the footwell foam is removed? Wondering if one of the underseat subs would fit there....
burton73
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 19 2020, 05:02 PM) *

Bob have you fit those yet? They look like they would still impede on the heat tube?
You might find you have to mod your bracket to recess the plate closer to the grill

Rich,

Eric fit them and he says he has to soften the fiber heat tube a little to put a small dent in the tube. Eric has to go ahead for extra amps and sub and some type of Bluetooth for the factory Blaupunkt. The Guitar man knows amps and sound and I am sure I will end up with a nice system.

Bob B
burton73
[quote name='
theer
If originality is important, I have a pair of original stock speakers in good condition.

Sound quality is, well, 50-year old early 70's.

horizontally-opposed
Asked this in the subwoofer thread, but really should have asked it here.

I am planning to use an amp to power a JL 3-speaker component system in the stock speaker pods and doors. While I was going to give up and mount 6.5s on the door cards (again), I'd prefer "invisible audio" and 914Rubber's ABS plastic door card blanks have me wondering if 6.5s could be mounted behind the door cards with "perforated" basketweave vinyl...much like the early 928 speakers (see below). I'd probably use the perforated basketweave to then mark Mark's ABS panels, remove the basket weave, and drill larger holes so the sound could pass through. Not as ideal as a speaker grille, I am guessing, but…

…on black basketweave, you might not even notice the holes. But could it possibly sound okay? Thoughts? Good idea? Terrible idea? unsure.gif

I think I can use thicker ABS to mount the 6.5s on the doors rather than the door cards, which also appeals to me in terms of maintenance should I need to get into the doors to fix anything. JL specifies butyl tape to hold the grilles on, and we all know the fun of butyl tape…
bbrock
I seem to recall an old VW-Porsche Magazine project that mounted door speakers in a 914 behind perforated panels. I see no reason it wouldn't work given that it's not an uncommon speaker treatment. I suppose some audiophiles may scoff but I'll say it again, a 914 is not the place to expect audiophile sound. I think if you must have door speakers, this would be the most respectable way to do it.
914forme
agree.gif if I want that I’ll go to my friends walk down stairs to his listening room. Take a seat in the only chair in the room. Pickup the remote, power on the 4 McIntosh Mono Block Tube amps. And listen to what ever I want being pumped out of his floor to ceiling Magnapans. He has 4 of them.

It is unreal how close they get to real life.

We played the 1812 Overture in the 80s with the Cincinnati Pops. Unique thing about that recordings is it used live cannon fire. And not one, but Kunzel demanded it would be like being at the battle. In real life it can collapse a lung. We fired 4 cannons , period correct cannons. Blew the windows out off all the building on Campus where they recorded them for the record.

Latter that rear cd/record release and we did it in a concert hall. Imagine sitting in an orchestra, preforming for an audience and cannons are going off in Music Hall. We did not practice that way, night of the performance. Your back stage and you meet the cannon crews. WTF.gif Let me tell you, that was one of the loudest performance I ever was a part off. Give you an idea, Kunzel beefed up the brass section, specifically the low brass. We had 4 tubas’ 4 bass trombones and 8 trombones. And when we got loud it was LOUD! Then the cannons went off, I figured we killed a few people.

Buddy’s setup is as close as I have ever gotten to that day. I can close my eyes and still see the expression on the audiences face.

That night has been seared into my memories aktion035.gif I want to die in that room listening to that recording. The greatest musical experience of my career.
horizontally-opposed
^ Man, how cool is that? Makes me miss working with big systems as a "sound guy" for live performances, but nothing so dramatic as that. Even then, though, there is simply nothing like a big system. Or even a smaller one for a live performance. At least, nothing that I have gotten to experience.

I guess my question is simpler: How much of a loss in sound quality for, say, a JL Audio 6.5-inch "bass" speaker in a 914 door between using the supplied JL grille and hiding the speaker behind perforated basketweave—mimicking the factory setup for the 928?

I imagine there is going to be some loss of sound from the JL tweeters and mids in the factory speaker boxes due to the grilles and the factory "cloth," but interestingly the JL manual's "ideal" suggested layout of the 3-way system puts the mids and tweets in a generic interior right where the 914 has its speaker boxes with the 6.5s in the doors right where they have to go in a 914 door.
bbrock
This is only a guess, but I would bet with the engine running and the car motoring down the road and a nice perf pattern in the vinyl, the difference will be minimal since your mids and tweets will be in the speaker boxes. Sound in a 914 is always going to be a compromise.

FYI, I mounted my 4x6 Infinity Kappas in the stock speaker boxes and hooked them up to a modern Blaupunkt Nurnberg head unit tonight just to see how it sounds. As expected, it sounds like stromberg.gif Or to put it another way, it probably sounds a lot like the original stereo systems installed in these cars in the 70s. Definitely need an amp and sub to make it palatable. I may add a pair of those foam baffles behind the Kappas to see if they help seal behind the speakers a little better to project more sound.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.