Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Installation:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Used the clips that come with The Genuine Porsche OEM trim kit From Sierra Madre and important to note that they do not break as easily as the aftermarket ones. Drawback is that they were one clip short in the package. Luckily our 914World Designated Windshield Installer had a spare.

Click to view attachment

Once clips were in, a Butyl Primer was used as recommended in the below thread.

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=312146

Click to view attachment

Windshield was warmed up in the sun prior to install.

Click to view attachment

5/16 Butyl Primer is used and the glass positioned and seated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Snap in the trim clips and you're good to go.

Click to view attachment

The windshield I am using is a Sekurit from Finland and it seems to not sit 100% flush in some areas. As a result, it takes some finessing to make sure there is enough clearance for the trim to notch comfortably into the clips.

The takeaway here is to use a professional installer if you do not have the suction tool or have not done a windshield install before!
914Sixer
Don't see bottom windshield spacer ?
914_7T3
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 24 2018, 01:20 PM) *

Don't see bottom windshield spacer ?

There were several of them used that came in the kit. Guess I missed that part....

laugh.gif
iankarr
Nice write up...and glad the glass is in!
HansJan
Installing the windshield is a lot easier then it seems.
I was very nervous about it as well. But there is no special skill-set needed.
See the end of this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/3ByJvvXwkdk

It was a cool day, so I used the lamps to warm up the Butyl while slowly pushing the window into the Butyl. The Sekurit windshield, was standing proud at the left and right sides at first. But by keeping the Butyl warm and continues massaging/pushing the windshield I was able to embed it into the Butyl.

There is no need to pay someone for this. Actually, you don’t even need the suction cups. The glass is small and not very heavy. However; having another set of hands to help you put it in place is recommended (once it touches the Butyl it will stick).

Don’t be afraid to do this.
buck toenges
Can you add the chrome trim pieces on later or does it have to be put on while the butyl is new and pliable? Can you also talk about the primer. is there a track area of the windshield frame that demarcates exactly where it goes?

Buck
HansJan
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Dec 24 2018, 10:46 PM) *

Can you add the chrome trim pieces on later or does it have to be put on while the butyl is new and pliable? Can you also talk about the primer. is there a track area of the windshield frame that demarcates exactly where it goes?

Buck

The trim can be put on at later stage, if you wish to do that. Just make sure the clips are in place “before” installing the glass. I bought clips from 914Rubber. Then found out that they could break. 914Rubber send a bunch of spares. But in the end, I used originals from the Porsche dealer.

There is no clearly marked area for the primer. Just paint the entire surface, that the glass sits against (also hides a the paint color, where you don’t want to see it).

Good luck.
Tdskip
Thanks for the write up and discussion, very helpful.
Larmo63
I assume you used Ruffino to install your windshield from "Findland" smash.gif
IronHillRestorations
A couple body & glass guys I know recommended 3M 08682 single step primer for the painted surface of the windshield channel.

I've done two WS installs with it and no problems. The nice thing is it's black and you can cover all the color. It really helps the tap stick to the car.
iankarr
I removed and replaced the windshield on my '73. Pretty straightforward if you go sloooowly and carefully. Though the nice thing about hiring a pro is that it's on them if they break it;). If I lived in SoCal, I def would've done as @914_7T3 did. The hardest / scariest part is pressing the corners into the butyl, which is when the windshield seems most prone to cracking.

Here are a few pics. You can see where I put the butyl primer. I was much neater than I needed to be, since I'm totally OCD. In reality the butyl / glass / trim covers the whole channel. Also a pic of the primer I used. Put the butyl "seam" on the bottom and butted the ends.

One other tip which I'm pretty sure I read here on the world, though I can't seem to find the link... test fit the glass in-place before you put the butyl down using suction cups (cheeep at HF), the spacer blocks and a helper. Line it up/down/left/right so that it's sitting evenly in the channel and put a piece of blue painter's tape in the middle of each edge, straddling the glass and the frame (top, bottom, left, right). Use a sharpie to draw across the space between the glass and body and cut the tape in-place using a razor blade. The tape and sharpie marks allow you to line up the glass perfectly before you set it down. Once the glass touches the butyl, you can't move it much, so it's important to it place it exactly right before you commit.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Anyone have a close up picture of how the clip and windshield actually fit together?

How much primer used? Does use of the primer mean, as I assume, not butyl tape needed?
mepstein
Primer is just used to help the butyl tape stick better and create a nice black trim frame under the glass.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 26 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Primer is just used to help the butyl tape stick better and create a nice black trim frame under the glass.

Ah, so it is both not either or.

Thanks!
Costa05
Great advise on this thread. Thx. I am planning to install the 914rubber rubber trim instead of the chrome one. Any advice for it? I assume it goes on after the windshield is installed? Adhesive? Start and end where with installing it?
Rich
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 25 2018, 09:56 AM) *

I assume you used Ruffino to install your windshield from "Findland" smash.gif

@Larmo63 The windshield is from "Findland", but Ruffino is not!

One type-O and everyone is a critic rolleyes.gif
buck toenges
914 rubber includes instructions on their butyl tape (I think it is from the Porsche factory that shows butyl primer being applied to the windshield). It says apply around the perimeter about 15mm. Do you have too?

is the 3m primer 80682 for butyl or urethane or both?

Where do you get a dabber to apply the primer?

Thanks,
Buck
iankarr
On the CRL primer, the dabber is integrated into the cap...
Mikey914
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Dec 26 2018, 08:02 AM) *

Great advise on this thread. Thx. I am planning to install the 914rubber rubber trim instead of the chrome one. Any advice for it? I assume it goes on after the windshield is installed? Adhesive? Start and end where with installing it?
Rich

It sets with modern urethane. No spacers needed, but a helper and 2 glass cups help a lot to center, you can go too low or high, it will move around some. Tape up and let set for at least 3hours.
nivekdodge
I’ve been been reading a lot of these glass install posts. Non of them give a reason for using butyl other than “that’s the way we’ve always done it”. Does anyone have a concrete reason why you would use 50 year old tech?
bbrock
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Oct 28 2022, 07:38 AM) *

I’ve been been reading a lot of these glass install posts. Non of them give a reason for using butyl other than “that’s the way we’ve always done it”. Does anyone have a concrete reason why you would use 50 year old tech?

Surprised you didn't come across this in other threads as it comes up quite a bit, but the reason is because our cars flex and urethane doesn't. Quite a few reports of people having their windshields crack after installing with urethane.
914werke
agree.gif These cars were flexi-flyers when new (especially with the top off) 50 yrs later & untold # of miles on their chassis's... that is even more so.
Butyl was designed to never harden completely. So it always provides a bit of give to accommodate cowl shake & body twist.
mepstein
Yea. People want to modernize the install and the glass cracks and then they blame the glass.
nivekdodge
Thanks guys

Kevin
Robarabian
It flexes. The urethane of today's cars is very rigid. The 914 is a very flexible car so the butyl allows the windshield to have some give when the car flexes. There are stories that with urethane, the windshield is more prone to cracking.

That being said, there are members on here who have used urethane and not had a break.

QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Oct 28 2022, 06:38 AM) *

bkrantz

The common explanation is that butyl tape provides a bit more give, so as the windshield frame flexes, the glass is less likely to crack.
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 28 2022, 08:04 PM) *

The common explanation is that butyl tape provides a bit more give, so as the windshield frame flexes, the glass is less likely to crack.

exactly, something like cement mortar vs lime mortar in masonry construction. The more "flexible" lime mortar wins out everytime in historic buildings.

Rigid is not always a good thing
VaccaRabite
I've had my windshield glued in with urethane now for over a decade, no cracks. I think that problem is likely overstated.

Zach
930cabman
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 2 2022, 06:00 AM) *

I've had my windshield glued in with urethane now for over a decade, no cracks. I think that problem is likely overstated.

Zach

Yes, but it is glass and 3mm or so in thickness, two lites of course
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.