Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel Fun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
I am doing a Subaru conversion and got a very good deal on a KEP adapter plate and flywheel. Trouble is that the flywheel appears to be a 200 mm flywheel. It seems that I have a few options. I'm looking for some input on what to do...

My options (that I can think of):

a) Use a 200 mm (VW) clutch and pressure plate (I don't even know if this is possible with a 901 transmission. Anyone know if this could work?) I would have to get a stiffer clutch to compensate for the smaller surface area I believe.

b.) Have the flywheel machined to give me 215 mm of useable diameter. Also don't know if this is possible.

c) Just get a new flywheel made for the 215mm clutch.

d) Have the center of this new flywheel removed and get my stock 914 flywheel modified (not sure who would do this)

e) ????????

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
icon_bump.gif
TonyAKAVW
Here's a picture of the new flywheel which measures just over 200mm across the large flat area.
TonyAKAVW
And my stock 1.8 flywheel, which measures around 220 mm across the open flat area.
Mueller
according to KEP, that size is good for up to 300hp depending on pressure plate used.....

TonyAKAVW
according to KEP, that size is good for up to 300hp depending on pressure plate used.....

That's what I read, but I just don't know if a pressure plate/clutch that size would work on a 901 transmission. I'm not really sure what would be different, perhaps where the transmission shaft goes into the clutch disk? Are the splines going to match? Is the diameter of the main shaft going to work out? Also the release bearing, I'm wondering how that will work.

-Tony
Joe Bob
It'll work fine. I'm using the 200mm in my 356 conversion. 140hp....215mm is better but requires the flywheel to be cut again...obviously...just make sure the right TO bearing is used....
TonyAKAVW
It'll work fine. I'm using the 200mm in my 356 conversion. 140hp....215mm is better but requires the flywheel to be cut again...obviously...just make sure the right TO bearing is used....

Excellent!

I'm assuming "the right TO bearing" is probably not going to be the one normally used on a 901 with a 215mm clutch.

Thanks for the input!

Tony

Mueller
i do know that a 228mm pressure plate* bolts onto a 215mm flywheel (stock 914 size) and I'm guessing it would work with yours also

*i have a stage II refurbished by KEP sitting on a shelf
TonyAKAVW
do know that a 228mm pressure plate* bolts onto a 215mm flywheel (stock 914 size) and I'm guessing it would work with yours also

Looking at the pictures, it seems that because the inner diameter of the toothed ring is considerably smaller, that the bolt holes for the clutch plate are drilled on a smaller diameter ring. I'll measure it later and see if its just an optical illusion or not.

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.