Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Relocation, early to late
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aerostatwv
Greetings! For the folks that have moved their fuel pumps to the front of their cars, what is the best method for relocating the pump electrical wiring? I am having trouble finding a thread that addresses this. Thanks!
JFG
i soldered onto the existing wires and ran new wire up through the tunnel and out into the under tank area.
bbrock
As Jeff Bowlsby pointed out to me, Porsche increased the fuel pump wire to 12 gauge when they relocated the pump. I replaced the original pump wire by running a new 12g red/blk wire from the connector on the relay board all the way to the new pump location. I also ran a new 12g brown ground wire from the left headlight ground post to the new pump location. There is a closer ground post below the air box up front but I wanted to integrate the new wire in the main harness and the left headlight bucket made more sense. It doesn't HAVE to be done that way, but that's what I did to keep the factory wiring schematic accurate and using the appropriately sized wire to accommodate the longer wire run. I had the harness out of the car though so kind of cheating.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 27 2018, 11:33 AM) *

As Jeff Bowlsby pointed out to me, Porsche increased the fuel pump wire to 12 gauge when they relocated the pump. I replaced the original pump wire by running a new 12g red/blk wire from the connector on the relay board all the way to the new pump location. I also ran a new 12g brown ground wire from the left headlight ground post to the new pump location. There is a closer ground post below the air box up front but I wanted to integrate the new wire in the main harness and the left headlight bucket made more sense. It doesn't HAVE to be done that way, but that's what I did to keep the factory wiring schematic accurate and using the appropriately sized wire to accommodate the longer wire run. I had the harness out of the car though so kind of cheating.

agree.gif

I did essentially the same thing on Betty's car. I used the fuel pump wire from a 75 harness, and used the ground by the fuse box. And yes, the harness was out of the car.

euro911
I would like to do the relocation conversion on the '71, but I don't want to even think about removing the harness sad.gif

I'll have to figure out another way to route the wire idea.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 27 2018, 11:52 AM) *

I would like to do the relocation conversion on the '71, but I don't want to even think about removing the harness sad.gif

I'll have to figure out another way to route the wire idea.gif

The only serious challenge is getting the new wire through the firewall as fishing wire through the snorkel is a little bit of a challenge even with the harness out of the car. I'll bet you could do it though by popping both ends of the snorkel loose and then fishing a stiff wire through to pull the new wire through with. That's essentially how I fished the defrost harness through on mine but with the luxury of doing it on my family room floor instead of cramped under the car. Probably wouldn't be too hard with the engin out though. Of course, drilling through the firewall and installing grommets for a separate entry point would be another option. Once you are through the firewall, easy to lay a new wire parallel to the main harness all the way out to the fuel tank area.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The procedure is in the appendix of the 914 "Tech Tips 700" book

QUOTE(Aerostatwv @ Dec 27 2018, 09:02 AM) *

Greetings! For the folks that have moved their fuel pumps to the front of their cars, what is the best method for relocating the pump electrical wiring? I am having trouble finding a thread that addresses this. Thanks!

Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 27 2018, 11:07 AM) *
The only serious challenge is getting the new wire through the firewall as fishing wire through the snorkel is a little bit of a challenge even with the harness out of the car. I'll bet you could do it though by popping both ends of the snorkel loose and then fishing a stiff wire through to pull the new wire through with. That's essentially how I fished the defrost harness through on mine but with the luxury of doing it on my family room floor instead of cramped under the car. Probably wouldn't be too hard with the engin out though. Of course, drilling through the firewall and installing grommets for a separate entry point would be another option. Once you are through the firewall, easy to lay a new wire parallel to the main harness all the way out to the fuel tank area.
The drive train and the interior are currently out of the car, so the process should go fairly well. We'll be installing the new SS fuel lines a running the additional power conductor at the same time.
saigon71
I did this two winters ago. I too just soldered wires on to the existing fuel pump connection and ran them up front. I snuck the wires through the firewall through the odometer cable hole.

Pics starting on post 23 of this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...95025&st=20
Aerostatwv
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 27 2018, 03:35 PM) *

I did this two winters ago. I too just soldered wires on to the existing fuel pump connection and ran them up front. I snuck the wires through the firewall through the odometer cable hole.

Bob, didn’t you have issues at Okteenerfest in NC a couple years ago? I was there and remember it. Did the relocation fix the issue? Going to Okteenerfest next fall?
Aerostatwv
All great feedback! Wouldn’t have considered larger gage wire. Thank you to everyone! Will be doing this on both cars.
saigon71
QUOTE(Aerostatwv @ Dec 27 2018, 08:39 PM) *

Bob, didn’t you have issues at Okteenerfest in NC a couple years ago? I was there and remember it. Did the relocation fix the issue? Going to Okteenerfest next fall?

Yes...that was me. My car died several times on the drive. sad.gif The fuel pump relocation fixed the vapor lock issue.

I may be able to make Okteenerfest next fall. Are you going?
Aerostatwv
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 27 2018, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Aerostatwv @ Dec 27 2018, 08:39 PM) *

Yes...that was me. My car died several times on the drive. sad.gif The fuel pump relocation fixed the vapor lock issue.

I may be able to make Okteenerfest next fall. Are you going?

Yes, I want to attend. Be great to see the gang again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.