Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 on Ebay Buyer Beware!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Mike Fitton
Be careful with this one, was for sale on Samba back in 2014.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-/...=p2056016.l4276

For sale on the Samba 06/2014:
1970 914/6 This car had a complete restoration done before being in an accident . Matching #s . Engine runs fine .
Comes with a running driving 1975 914 donnor car .

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
I just sent the seller on Ebay a copy of the above picture, thought he might want to include it in his photo gallery, Lol!
sithot
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 28 2018, 03:51 PM) *

I just sent the seller on Ebay a copy of the above picture, thought he might want to include it in his photo gallery, Lol!

Or not.... lol

(I'd like to see under the "bonnet".)
Tdskip
I reported it
Kaeferfreund
Wow, that's indeed unbelievable.

There are just two alternatives:
a) the current owner has been scammed himself idea.gif
or b) the seller is incredibly brazen mad.gif

Let's have a closer look at the ebay-description:

"factory Porsche 914-6 (ok, a lot of parts) , irish green exterior on black interior (right), my factory Porsche mechanic just freshened up the engine, just rebuilt the carbs, engine and drivetrain in excellent condition, all lights and electrical working in good condition, suspension and the pan are very clean, lines on the car are good, clean interior, all factory 6 parts (cannot be checked, when excatly this has been done?), car was painted and going through a restoration, about 95% complete (not lied so far;-) ), new windshield being installed with all new seals, factory fuchs included as 1 wheel is getting finished,a drivers car, not concourse but could be, priced accordingly.
I got the car from a private owner that had the car painted and needed assembly (interesting: knowing the dammage or not idea.gif ), let the car sit, and now just getting around to it, too many projects, getting older thus deciding to thin out the stable in battling the wife, deciding to keep one of my turbos. was told in doing research seems to be matching numbers car from all the research done so far (just the parts of it in the rear, right?), Porsche COA pending (worthless, because it's just telling the factory condition). can drop off at the nearest shipper for export (want to send it abroad to an unsuspecting buyer biggrin.gif ), will answer questions to the best of my ability in a timely fashion, thanks."

Well, I expect this ad will disappear near-term. Otherwsie it it remains exciting to wait for the reaction smile.gif

I'm going to check the typical buyers in Germany ...
sithot
"If you see the tree you run into it means you have understeered. If you hear the tree you oversteered." - Walter Röhrl
rick 918-S
You guys crack me up. You post "Woo Hoo!!!" Great deal for that structurally compermised patched up rust bucket done by a guy that has never welded in his life but buyer beware for a crash damaged car you have never personally inspected and would never purchase anyway. screwy.gif

Maybe this car had a top shelf repair. Looks very repairable to me. Maybe it was hacked. Why not meet the owner and check out the repair first then report the facts not a guess. Seems to be priced in the range of a repaired car.
gereed75
Thank you Rick.

Report what to whom?? That there was a once wrecked, now repaired car for sale on EBay? wow that is unbelievable.

Not saying that any buyer of this car should not do his diligence. I hope any would at this asking price. And during such diligence, the quality of the repair will set the value

I guess just because it is a six it means it can never be repaired without being somehow a scam. Was it the fact that these pictures were taken in front of what looks to obviously be a repair shop what tipped you off that this guy was trying to hide something?

Buyer beware has always been the standard, sometimes on here seller beware is more the case.

Tryin to keep it real.
mepstein
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 29 2018, 08:36 AM) *

You guys crack me up. You post "Woo Hoo!!!" Great deal for that structurally compermised patched up rust bucket done by a guy that has never welded in his life but buyer beware for a crash damaged car you have never personally inspected and would never purchase anyway. screwy.gif

Maybe this car had a top shelf repair. Looks very repairable to me. Maybe it was hacked. Why not meet the owner and check out the repair first then report the facts not a guess. Seems to be priced in the range of a repaired car.

I’m always surprised by how many guys won’t take the time or spend the money to inspect because the car is too far away but are very disappointed and even angry when the car shows up and doesn’t match the buyers description.

We just had a very experienced buyer send us a 911 that was listed on eBay as a numbers matching car that didn’t run. Took off the fan and fiberglass shroud and had a 8”x8” “window” into the engine. Total distraction. He’s in a good place and could take the hit but agreed not to buy sight unseen anymore.
sithot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2018, 11:31 AM) *

We just had a very experienced buyer send us a 911 that was listed on eBay as a numbers matching car that didn’t run. Took off the fan and fiberglass shroud and had a 8”x8” “window” into the engine. Total distraction. He’s in a good place and could take the hit but agreed not to buy sight unseen anymore.

What state did that come out of?
jdamiano
The great thing about the 914 community is many of us look out for the other owners. That is the reason for this post. Even if the repairs are perfect the future owner would probably like to know the extent of the damage the car had. Also, EBay has rules and if an item is not properly discribed the buyer has recourse. If an item is reported to have a false description by a neutral third party with photo evidence the buyer will be in a much better position if he has an issue with the purchase. My guess the people criticizing it and take the buyer beware only position are people I would be afraid of.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Dec 29 2018, 08:59 AM) *

The great thing about the 914 community is many of us look out for the other owners. That is the reason for this post. Even if the repairs are perfect the future owner would probably like to know the extent of the damage the car had. Also, EBay has rules and if an item is not properly discribed the buyer has recourse. If an item is reported to have a false description by a neutral third party with photo evidence the buyer will be in a much better position if he has an issue with the purchase. My guess the people criticizing it and take the buyer beware only position are people I would be afraid of.

+1, exactly why I posted it.
gereed75
There are many sides to any story.

I hope that the knowledge shared on this site helps many make wise decisions about buying and selling 914's for their enjoyment and profit.

I also hope that the fear generated by easily posted speculative innuendo often presented here does not preclude someone from experiencing that same joy or profit.

Such are the power and intricacies of doing business in the internet age.

As for me, I hope that the weather is good enough today that I can go out and enjoy driving the repaired car that I bought on the internet after inspecting it and satisfying myself that I was getting a square deal from someone I had no reason to fear.

But I guess I am just old school like that. Also old school enough to think maybe there might be some justice if the seller from Encino didnt show up at TD's and pop him in the nose.

Where is the Duke when we need him?
lalee914
The wrecked green car is NOT the one being advertised by Barbour on ebay. The VIN of the wrecked green /6 is 9140431862. The VIN of the gray /6 currently on ebay is 9140431341.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Dec 30 2018, 11:35 AM) *

The wrecked green car is NOT the one being advertised by Barbour on ebay. The VIN of the wrecked green /6 is 9140431862. The VIN of the gray /6 currently on ebay is 9140431341.

***Duh, no kidding! The Ebay link in the first post takes you to the 1862 car.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 28 2018, 02:51 PM) *

So the green eBay car is not the wrecked car after repairs?

If not it would be nice if someone could put eyes on it before flaming the seller.
jdamiano
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 30 2018, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 28 2018, 02:51 PM) *

So the green eBay car is not the wrecked car after repairs?

If not it would be nice if someone could put eyes on it before flaming the seller.

The green car is the one that got wrecked and repaired. The gray one is a completely different car.
914_teener
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 29 2018, 05:36 AM) *

I agree Rick.

I bought a salvaged 2006 987 that had been fixed. They did a great job fixing it.

It is a great car and I enjoy driving it.

Chill out flaming it before anyone has seen it. It may be the right car for somebody that wants a -6.

sixnotfour
it is missing the ashtray
sithot
Smart ass answer from a friend who does this for a living. I sent him the picture/link:
Exclusive use of Celette and YEARS of experience) I've seen some really torn up stuff come out of the shop and it was perfect. No sign of clipping. No alignment issues.

What do you need, I ask?

"Chain, tree,Cutting torch, welding wire, couple of C-clamps and a 914/4 donor clip" rolleyes.gif

pete000
Didn't even finish the project !

Not worth near that asking price.
toolguy
I believe that's the car I inspected here in San Diego / Chula Vista a few years ago when it first appeared. . came with a late silver car as parts at that time. . . I believe the man that had it said he got it as a wreck outta New York at that time. . The picture of the wreck didn't completely show the full extent of the damage when viewed in person. . I personally felt it was not repairable without a lot of frame grafting or a complete frame swap.. . it was more than bent. . it was structurally crumpled. . And even then, it was missing a lot of it's Six specific parts.
As I remember he wanted something around $20k for both cars. . I didn't even consider an offer. . to me it would have been buying just a Vin and title.
Mike Fitton
^^^^^^ Hmmm, I only hear crickets now!
gereed75
Mike, no problem with someone posting factual information about a car that might provide further insight to a buyer about a potential purchase. No problem with posting a recollection like Toolguys and stating an opinion.

Totally different from posting a bunch of groundless supposition inferred from a couple of pictures on the net concerning a car that you haven't even seen, especially when that supposition borders on slander of a seller you don't know dick about. That sort of crap does not serve the buyer, the seller or this board.

Chirp Chirp
jdamiano
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jan 2 2019, 11:00 AM) *

Mike, no problem with someone posting factual information about a car that might provide further insight to a buyer about a potential purchase. No problem with posting a recollection like Toolguys and stating an opinion.

Totally different from posting a bunch of groundless supposition inferred from a couple of pictures on the net concerning a car that you haven't even seen, especially when that supposition borders on slander of a seller you don't know dick about. That sort of crap does not serve the buyer, the seller or this board.

Chirp Chirp

The listing has been updated to better reflect the car being sold. I’m sure that is a result of one or more of the fine folks on this board looking out for a potential future 914 owner.
gereed75
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jan 2 2019, 11:25 AM) *

The listing has been updated to better reflect the car being sold. I’m sure that is a result of one or more of the fine folks on this board looking out for a potential future 914 owner.

Yep, all good grouphug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jan 2 2019, 10:00 AM) *

Chirp Chirp

My point completely. It's one thing to post a question about the origin of a car you may remember was damaged at one point. It's entirely another the post baseless innuendo like this car is crap because you have no clue how to fix it.

I would really lime to see the quality of the repairs. There have been some very damaged and dismembered cars repaired that at one time in their early life would have been considered a total loss purely based on book value.
jdamiano
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 2 2019, 05:18 PM) *

Chirp Chirp

My point completely. It's one thing to post a question about the origin of a car you may remember was damaged at one point. It's entirely another the post baseless innuendo like this car is crap because you have no clue how to fix it.

I would really lime to see the quality of the repairs. There have been some very damaged and dismembered cars repaired that at one time in their early life would have been considered a total loss purely based on book value.

You just don’t get it. The seller originally didn’t even mention the car had extensive damage. Let’s assume the repairs were perfect. The buyer still deserves to know the car had an entire front grafted on. I have purchased cars that had been totaled and repaired but the seller was up front and I knew what I was buying and paid accordingly. This seller originally didn’t mention the damage. They update the description probably due to this forum. The potential buyer now has the information to make an educated purchase. FYI there was nothing baseless about the fact the car was trashed before it was repaired.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jan 2 2019, 08:00 AM) *

Chirp Chirp

Show me where the slander is in any of my posts?

Chirp Chirp!
914_teener
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 2 2019, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jan 2 2019, 08:00 AM) *

Chirp Chirp

Show me where the slander is in any of my posts?

Chirp Chirp!

No where.

I think it is humility they were looking for.

I'ts a good thing to know that this car has been fixed.

The quality of the fix however is unknown... at least on this thread.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jan 2 2019, 04:47 PM) *

Chirp Chirp

You just don’t get it. The seller originally didn’t even mention the car had extensive damage. Let’s assume the repairs were perfect. The buyer still deserves to know the car had an entire front grafted on. I have purchased cars that had been totaled and repaired but the seller was up front and I knew what I was buying and paid accordingly. This seller originally didn’t mention the damage. They update the description probably due to this forum. The potential buyer now has the information to make an educated purchase. FYI there was nothing baseless about the fact the car was trashed before it was repaired.

No I did not get that from the first post or the second one. How many "restored cars" sold on eBay disclose what has been done? How do we know if t h e seller even knows what was done? This car could have changed hands a couple times. I'm just saying someone should check the car out and report back to this thread before we flame a guy selling a restored car.
sixnotfour
agree.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 2 2019, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jan 2 2019, 04:47 PM) *

Chirp Chirp

No I did not get that from the first post or the second one. How many "restored cars" sold on eBay disclose what has been done? How do we know if t h e seller even knows what was done? This car could have changed hands a couple times. I'm just saying someone should check the car out and report back to this thread before we flame a guy selling a restored car.

This! agree.gif WTF.gif Who was expecting a showroom new car?
gereed75
Mike, never said any of your posts were slanderous. That assumption was your's.

But please read Kaefer (nicely teed up in your opening posts) from the standpoint of the seller. We were basically informed that he was either an idiot or a predator. Pick one of the only two possible choices given. Welcome to the world!

You - not slanderous. But good luck to you in setting the world straight.

Really don't want to start off the new year in a thread that is digressing into a pissing match from which nothing positive is likely to come. So I am out.
rick 918-S
Why does a guy have to be an idiot for purchasing a car needing assembly after restoration, finishing it up and deciding to sell it.

Predator? confused24.gif WTF.gif like I said classic cars that once were totaled purely based on the current market 15 - 20 years ago are now worth the cost of restoration.

I don't get all the drama over the sale of this car. If someone from world in the area that has a real knowledge of these cars and wants to put eyes on the car we will have a fact based report to review.
EdwardBlume
You folks are both right.

I couldn't say it better myself.... but I'll try. biggrin.gif

For this kind of money, the buyer needs to get on a plane, get a PPI, and properly assess to the best of their ability a real value. Some really great and handy 914 people have previously smashed /6s, which I'd have no issue buying once done. idea.gif You are buying the seller with these old cars.

On the other side, as a seller, you disclose everything you know. That is, if you know. Otherwise, you are NOT a seller I'd want to interact with either way. Whether this seller is duped or not is irrelevant. Whether you actually did a top notch restoration on this, is only relevant to the degree you disclose it, which is not the case here.

Put yourself in the drivers seat after writing a check for this bad boy, would you want to know? Uh, yeah. Just saying emperor caveat doesn't adequately fill in the blanks.

I remember way back seeing a /6 that had a later car (about half of it) welded on....poorly. It had no story and no description, you couldn't align it, and it was worthless.

I've seen another /6 that had been smashed flared and painted a non stock color I'd LOVE to own. Fully disclosed.

The glue in all of this debate is the TRUTH. There is no substitute. Cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.