Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Portable tire inflator recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zaballosc
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for portable tire inflators. I'm looking for one for my 2002 and for my 914, but I want to make sure that I get a dependable model. Any thoughts? Thanks!
mgphoto
Later model Porsches use a collapsible spare which must be inflated, find a Porsche parts recycler they will have a good selection of inflation units priced around $100
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jan 8 2019, 10:37 AM) *

Later model Porsches use a collapsible spare which must be inflated, find a Porsche parts recycler they will have a good selection of inflation units priced around $100

For a Porsche pump in a case 10 years ago you could get them for $100...good luck now days.
You can get a cheap china pump off of amazon, I just check out the amazon and YT reviews to try to find the kit others have had good luck with.

I have't a clue about soldering irons, checked out amazon and YT reviews and ended up with a $100 Hakko. In 5 minutes found out Hakko was a good name, watched a YT shoot out vid and bought it. Not top of the line, but 0 to 750F in 10-15 seconds works for me.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 8 2019, 08:52 AM) *

I have't a clue about soldering irons, checked out amazon and YT reviews and ended up with a $100 Hakko. In 5 minutes found out Hakko was a good name, watched a YT shoot out vid and bought it. Not top of the line, but 0 to 750F in 10-15 seconds works for me.

I did exactly the same and love that soldering iron. Sorry for the hijack. Now back to the regularly scheduled program. popcorn[1].gif
tmc914
QUOTE(zaballosc @ Jan 8 2019, 10:24 AM) *

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for portable tire inflators. I'm looking for one for my 2002 and for my 914, but I want to make sure that I get a dependable model. Any thoughts? Thanks!

What I use is the Kobalt KLDP1. It works via the cigarette lighter 12VDC or you can plug into 120 volts. It is not heavy duty for only about $50 bucks. I use it to top off tire air pressure. If you let it run for more than 10 minutes it stops to cool down. Only takes a couple minutes to top off each tire. Can be bought at Lowes. Hope this helps.
Valy
I like this. Good for topping air and also fixing a small puncture.
I hate replacing wheels on the road.
This kit works wonders.
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-50107-Smart-Em...DAN7T4JAAFM69YA
Gary
We bought this one a few years back. Works for all the vehicles and does the bike tires too: Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor.
Andyrew
I carry the Ryobi 18v inflator with me now for track days and in my daily with a patch kit in a small bag. I top off the battery every 6 months or so.
burton73
I use the Porsche air inflator kit like the ones that came in my 86 Carrera. I bought a couple of them 10 years ago and the price is lower now. This one is on Ebay for $280. And it has all the cover clamps and accessories to fill up your basketball. If clamp is missing they are less Looks cool and I like that but it is not cheap. You can get a Tesla one with the goop for $50. New

Never use the goop unless you are going to get your tire fixed right away as it needs to get cleaned out after you use it

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
iamchappy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 9 2019, 09:43 AM) *

I carry the Ryobi 18v inflator with me now for track days and in my daily with a patch kit in a small bag. I top off the battery every 6 months or so.

Thats what i use also, have the impact wrench along with it.
douglastic
I got the Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor for our LR3

Reasons: Does larger tires (faster, more powerful), more PSI/CFM (45% duty cycle = longer life), and no cigarette plug (no under-rated fuse problems)

Great specs for under $60
Amphicar770
The Kobalt unit at Lowe's is highly rated and got a popular mechanics top pick. What's nice about it is that it runs either 120v AC or 12v plug in. Inflates pretty quickly.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-Volt-120...ator/1000092575
zaballosc
Wow, thank you for all of the suggestions! I'm going to take a look at used Porsche pumps, but if that doesn't work out you all have provided me with some great alternatives. Thanks again!
Andyrew
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 9 2019, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 9 2019, 09:43 AM) *

Thats what i use also, have the impact wrench along with it.

The half inch impact is my favorite tool I own!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.