Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jan 15th is officially turd day Event 2.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
So for the second part of turd day I was installing a clutch cable and side shift shifter into my '72 914. The shifter was hitting the clutch cable tube and I couldn't get really good shifts going. I found out the clutch cable tube was not welded to the tunnel in the front. The tube ends about 3-4 inches in front of the front end of the shifter hole in the tunnel. I need to nail it down. I played with the clutch pedal to see where the cable interacted with the tube. It seemed like the tube should be close to the top of the tunnel as there was less noise from the cable moving in the tube.

I could drill a small hole into the tunnel and tack weld the tube to the driver side of the tunnel. Brad Mayeur said he uses a little u-bolt some time to attach and secure the tube to the tunnel wall.

My question is where should the tube be located in the tunnel. Should it be placed a certain way so the side shift shift rod and shifter doesn't get all jammed up. Is there an issue with side shift rods and shifters in the tunnel when using in an earlier car?

Thanks,
Buck
76-914
You can pull it up against the tunnel wall. You can use a uBolt. The factory didn't weld the clutch tube; they brazed it. If your clutch tube gets a glob of slag in the tube a new cable won't pass. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.