Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 50th Anniversary...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Feb 7 2019, 04:44 PM) *

OK fine. Point taken. Who is doing the 50th Anniversay Event?
This so great now I don't have to do as much work.
Scott, you are welcome to drive on over for the Birthday Party in 2020!

Thanks Mike, you never know - it could happen!

914_teener
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Feb 7 2019, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Feb 7 2019, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Feb 6 2019, 07:32 PM) *

Seeing as I have yet to come across a 1969 914 smile.gif we have big plans for a week long 50th Anniversary WCR in 2020! But more about that later.

words matter and so do 2019 and 2020

As the poster says, 2019 represents 50 years of the 914

1970 was the 1st year of, 1971 was the 2nd year of...1979 was the 10th year of...2019 is the 50th year of the 914

Happens with races too. the 1st Daytona 500 was in 1959, the 50th running of (50th year of) the race happened in 2018

Birthdays and anniversaries are different and celebrated a year later, 1971 was the first anniversary, etc. so 2020 is the 50th birthday or anniversary of the 914

None of the above has anything to do with 1969, prototypes or early production!

You're welcome! biggrin.gif

EDIT: I want a poster too!

OK fine. Point taken. Who is doing the 50th Anniversay Event?
This so great now I don't have to do as much work.
Scott, you are welcome to drive on over for the Birthday Party in 2020!

So why can.t we celebrate they day I was born and then celebrate the next year I was outside of my Mommy?

Or does it count when it.s a prototype? Geez...now I.m confused.

It.s all good right?
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 7 2019, 05:13 PM) *

So why can.t we celebrate they day I was born and then celebrate the next year I was outside of my Mommy?

Or does it count when it.s a prototype? Geez...now I.m confused.

It.s all good right?

You can in Asia, where you are one when born and two on your first birthday!

Sounds crazy, but when I turn 59 in May I will be starting my 60th year, so over there I will be 60!

Makes sense - sort of....
914_7T3
wacko.gif
rick 918-S
Don't care who does it in 2020 but I want to be there. assimilate.gif I propose RRC 2020 on 9-14-2020 driving.gif I've been all over the country at many of the events. The Red Rocks area as vast as it is has some of the best driving roads with the least traffic. Anyone second that? idea.gif

And I want a poster! aktion035.gif
Big Len
Porsche did the same with the 911 in 2014, so 2019 is the 50th anniversary of the 914.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Feb 7 2019, 10:28 AM) *

50th Anniversary of the debut makes sense.

This.

The 914 debuted on 9/11/1969—so 9/11/2019 marks 50 years. Model years aren't too precise when it comes to Porsche, as they can go 23 months...ask me how I know. dry.gif

Anyway, I was just offering to host some 914s for an open house at a car magazine if some folks want to organize a drive or weekend or whatever. But no worries if people want to do something else—I am all for that, too!
Porschef
FWIW, my ‘75 911 was a 25th anniversary edition.

Don’t know how they figured the math confused24.gif
Racer
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 8 2019, 06:21 AM) *

FWIW, my ‘75 911 was a 25th anniversary edition.

Don’t know how they figured the math confused24.gif

That was Porsches' 25th.. not the 911's wink.gif * its all marketing anyway...

So, when is the party?
Maltese Falcon
This guy , PECLA's gruffly stepbrother (kinda outlaw lookin) could be the mascot for the 914/ 50th golden anniversary. Strong family resemblance to the PECLA dude right there laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
^ Love that dude. Super creepy cousin to the PECLA guy. Kinda JAWS-lookin....
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 8 2019, 04:26 PM) *

^ Love that dude. Super creepy cousin to the PECLA guy. Kinda JAWS-lookin....

This guy spotted in the SF valley/ L.A. Been anchored here (originally a tire store) even before I was cruising Van Nuys Blvd. in 1969. Architectural landmarks known simply as Giants, placed all around L.A. since the '50s. Used to promote whatever the retail store/ attraction was offering at that time. PECLA dude is anchored adjacent to the 405, originally welcomed you to his Carson golf course . But yes Pete, this one is creepy w00t.gif
914_teener
Ok... after some thought. My .02

If Pete is opening his parking lot on 9-11-19 for the 50th I'm all for that. I'll be there.

If it is in September that is great.

I know Mike and some of the So Cal group are Planning a big thing next year for the WCR. I plan on attending that too. I won't speak to his plans but they do a great job and it takes a lot of planning and effort. Ask him about 2015.

I think of the OP and the post meant that "Porsche" wasn't planning anything. Or so says the article in the link. I don't think PCA is either.

The folks that care and are the real enthusiasts and know the most about 914's are here. Some of them are no longer with us unfortunately.

It is up to US to decide what we want to do.

It's just dialogue but at the end of the day it is about the people and the effort that is made.

Just my thoughts.

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 5 2019, 09:27 AM) *

The artist for the poster was Mark Morgan a friend of mine and 23e Heure's. He did mention that a poster would be available in a comment he made on his Instagram page

Triplespressomm

https://www.triplespresso.co.uk/

He did quite a nice Porsche (storyboard) mural over at the Luftgekühlt show 2 years ago in San Pedro .
It was like the most amazing journey of Porsche race cars & drivers, rendered in black-sharpie-pen on like 4 lengths of 4'x8' white drywall sections pray.gif
second wind
I am just glad I am going to WCR 2019.....maybe it will keep growing like it is and
"become " WCR 2019 50 Year Anniversary 914". I mean....February 8th today......June 6th coming up.....come on international members.....be fun!!! The true 50th anniversary.......WCR 2019!!!
gg
isdyl
I'll be at Brrooklands! Its only about 10 minutes down the road from here, so I've got about 5 months to get it running properly. Received my number plates yesterday so hopefully first drive today since I bought it in June last year!
Maltese Falcon
...couldn't fit turbos to this giant, so gave him a cool badge to add some charm
Click to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 8 2019, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 5 2019, 09:27 AM) *

The artist for the poster was Mark Morgan a friend of mine and 23e Heure's. He did mention that a poster would be available in a comment he made on his Instagram page

Triplespressomm

https://www.triplespresso.co.uk/

He did quite a nice Porsche (storyboard) mural over at the Luftgekühlt show 2 years ago in San Pedro .
It was like the most amazing journey of Porsche race cars & drivers, rendered in black-sharpie-pen on like 4 lengths of 4'x8' white drywall sections pray.gif

Pete's stories are great as well. I like the idea of having the stories in print, plus his work is great.

Just a different experience on internet forums.
914four
Anyone know who wrote the article?
horizontally-opposed
Here's the deal from my side:

Wouldn't want to distract from WCR, and it sounds like there is a cool event coming together back east—so if someone or some folks want to organize something casual around here, I'll offer up the 000 parking lot and an open house for a piece of the fun. Also willing to engage Glen Cordle and/or 000 designer Justin Page (Rare Shades posters & many Bill Graham Presents posters) to come up with something to celebrate the 914's 50th if there's interest.

If not, no worries! beerchug.gif

pete
mgp4591
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 7 2019, 05:27 PM) *

Don't care who does it in 2020 but I want to be there. assimilate.gif I propose RRC 2020 on 9-14-2020 driving.gif I've been all over the country at many of the events. The Red Rocks area as vast as it is has some of the best driving roads with the least traffic. Anyone second that? idea.gif

And I want a poster! aktion035.gif

I'll second that Rick, and I want a poster too.
I know Sharon has Torrey down as the spot but no date that I'm aware of....it makes perfect sense! I'm down... shades.gif
echocanyons
Pete,
I think it’s a great idea and I’m definitely interested
Mark Henry
A friend is making a few of these;

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 10 2019, 02:07 PM) *

Nicely done, I would rock this on my cars in a heartbeat thumb3d.gif
rick 918-S
I never put that much thought into it but are you guys saying you could purchase a 914 in the states in 1969? I did think they introduced them here until 1970. confused24.gif

If the event is this year I have to watch it pass. Between working to sell our big house and build and my son's wedding on 9-14-19 I have a full dance card.
TonyA
I am in for a poster as well.
Krieger
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 10 2019, 02:07 PM) *

I'd take one of those too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.