Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help installing heater boxes and hoses from HEs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
I am starting to hooks up all the hoses, heater boxes, elbows, heating air supplies and such for a 2.0L engine. 1973 version. The workshop manual doesn't have any info. Can you help me come up with a game plan on how to install all this stuff. Got the engine and heat exchangers in.
914_7T3
Not sure if these are helpful, but recently snapped these pics at the shop where my drivetrain is being reinstalled.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
I just did this yesterday.

As shown in pictures above.. You definitely want to use the allen bolts on those parts. it is a real pain to try getting a socket between the engine bar to tighten those.

Also when you mount the heater control boxes be careful not to slide them up too far on the curved pipes or they won't open and you won't get any heat....

Don't ask how I know.

maybe this diagram will be helpful

Click to view attachment
sdoolin
Maybe this will help?

Click to view attachment
sdoolin
Or this?

Click to view attachment
930cabman
Thinking out loud, our 914/4 will never use the heating function, why would we not close off the rectangular outlets in the aluminum fan housing and divert additional cooling air over the cylinders?

Thanks
Mark Henry
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 5 2021, 05:52 PM) *

Thinking out loud, our 914/4 will never use the heating function, why would we not close off the rectangular outlets in the aluminum fan housing and divert additional cooling air over the cylinders?

Thanks

There was a lot of debate about this in the early mid 2000's, Jake Raby did some temp tests and found leaving them off and open actually cooled better. The other thought was to smooth over the interior duct openings and the common opinion was to block them off the traditional way.

My opinion is to build the engine properly so it doesn't overheat to start with. biggrin.gif
dt4
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 8 2019, 04:35 AM) *

Not sure if these are helpful, but recently snapped these pics at the shop where my drivetrain is being reinstalled.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hi
where can I get the red rubber seals that are used in the branch pipe clamps?
thanks
bdstone914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 7 2019, 08:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Jeffery,
Your warm air elbows appear to be install 180 degrees off. Look at the orher pictures with the flapper boxes and red hoses installed.
@914_7T3
bbrock
QUOTE(dt4 @ Jul 4 2021, 12:31 AM) *

Hi
where can I get the red rubber seals that are used in the branch pipe clamps?
thanks

https://914rubber.com/heater-blower-plate-gasket-kit-1
914_7T3
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 4 2021, 03:06 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 7 2019, 08:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Jeffery,
Your warm air elbows appear to be install 180 degrees off. Look at the orher pictures with the flapper boxes and red hoses installed.
@914_7T3

@bdstone914 Thanks for having my back! That's long since been sorted...now I'm just driving driving.gif

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.