Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: outside door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Anyone here have any luck re-chroming outside door handles ?
I've got a couple good ones, just need better chrome.
Also, a source for the handle pivot/rivet ?
mepstein
I believe Tweet offers that service.
ConeDodger
Be careful. Whoever does it needs to understand that chroming the back articulating part renders them pretty much uselesss as the bushings will no longer fit. It can be worked around, but if you make sure they don’t do it up front, you don’t have to deal with it on reassembly.
porschetub
Information indicates they are made of "pot metal",someone correct me if I'am wrong please ?,it would take a clever metal finisher to prep them for rechroming even after the old chrome is neutralized ,there is a reasonable supply of used ones even those with the broken mounting tab which is a fairly easy fix and cheap to buy.
I don't know the quality of the repro ones but suspect they could be better than originals in construction but quality of chrome may cause issues after a period of time confused24.gif .
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 9 2019, 10:55 PM) *

Information indicates they are made of "pot metal",someone correct me if I'am wrong please ?,it would take a clever metal finisher to prep them for rechroming even after the old chrome is neutralized ,there is a reasonable supply of used ones even those with the broken mounting tab which is a fairly easy fix and cheap to buy.
I don't know the quality of the repro ones but suspect they could be better than originals in construction but quality of chrome may cause issues after a period of time confused24.gif .

The reproductions aren't very good. The "chrome" almost rubs off by hand. I've seen some that Tweet/Dan has redone and they look great but I know rechroming has gotten VERY expensive.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 9 2019, 11:23 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 9 2019, 10:55 PM) *

The reproductions aren't very good. The "chrome" almost rubs off by hand. I've seen some that Tweet/Dan has redone and they look great but I know rechroming has gotten VERY expensive.

I've messaged Tweet.....fingers crossed
914dave
I bought repos from Sierra Madre. They look nice but would bind. Had to take them apart and remove chrome in the pivots. Works well now and looks good. Of course they may not be up to your quality standards. But they were good enough for my car. wink.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914dave @ Feb 10 2019, 08:33 AM) *

I bought repos from Sierra Madre. They look nice but would bind. Had to take them apart and remove chrome in the pivots. Works well now and looks good. Of course they may not be up to your quality standards. But they were good enough for my car. wink.gif

Dave
You should talk !
Can't wait to break each others chops in person. beerchug.gif
Repro parts are often a crap shoot.
You were able to make them work, that's better than some stuff.
914Sixer
New ones are available in the $250 to $300 range from Porsche
mb911
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 10 2019, 06:03 AM) *

New ones are available in the $250 to $300 range from Porsche

That's a good data point. I was not aware of that..
Cairo94507
Tweet did all of my lock assemblies so they are all keyed to a new key he made. He also did my door handles and he had to clearance them once they returned from the chrome shop so they worked as new. We have not installed them yet, but I definitely needed to have all of the locks rekeyed and restored. Tweet and his wife are the real deal when it comes to this task.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.