Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor Pan Opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sharper
I obviously have some rust issues with my floorpan and wanted to get some opions. Basically the entire section under the center tunnel is rusted out and a few other little areas as well. A friend suggested cutting out the rusted areas and then "sandwich" the new floorpan underneath the old. It is a whole lot less prepwork if I just cut out the entire floor and weld in the new. What is everyone's opion on this?
Brad Roberts
I can see his point...

but I wouldnt consider the job "done well" doing it this way.

I know its a lot of work... but if I where to do it for a customer car... I would remove everything completely.

What are your options for steel ?? I thought Restoration design sold a center tunnel seperate from the floorpans.

B
TheCabinetmaker
Cut and weld!!! No "sandwich"!!!! it adds weight, but no strength. Failure to remove even a square mm of rust will
cause it to continue. Remember, rust is a cancer. Remove it all or it will eat you up!
Jeroen
The 914 is "sandwiched" enough as it is... so please, for your own sake and for those who will own the car after you, don't "sandwich" any more.

If you do the job right, you'll only have to do it once and you'll still be happy with it in a couple of years.

good luck biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
urbanskater
hey i'm working on my floor pans right now. And well sandwhiching is one of the worst ideas. Do it right, it takes a lot of work, my suggestion pay a body shop to do it, besides you cant sandwhich it anyway, it wouldnt fit with all those grooves and what not.
sharper
That settles it. I am going to cut the whole thing out. There is actually way more prep work involved if I don't. Scraping off the undercoating, grinding away surface rust, and painting to prevent future rust will take a whole lot longer than just cutting it out. I already have a complete new floor pan that is ready to go.

Thanks!
Brad Roberts
Make damn sure you leave a 1/2 inch wide "lip" all the way around.. so you have something to weld too.

B
Alfred
Have you seen this floor pan replacement video from BugMeVideo?

Alfred
Matt914MI
I'm kind of in the same place right now...I'm replacing just the rear section on both sides of the pan. I also have to replace the rear section under the center tunnel, but I haven't cut the old out yet. I have some structural issues in the under-battery-tray area and then the Brad Mayeur kit to worry about first. I'll have lots of pics once I get some time to work on it. These 60 hour work weeks really cut down on car work time.
Gint
Do the whole pan. Even if you do get all of the rust out, if the sandwhich area gets any moisture in it at all (it's now a perfect mositure trap), it will rust again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.