Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Complete chassis harness removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ben Nichols
Hi All

I have managed to source a replacement harness, which is great news. Thanks for your help.

Now the tricky part....

I need some help removing the old harness and refitting. I know I will need to strip out quite a lot but ideally I want to strip out the minimum of the interior so could use any instructions/tips/photos anyone has to help me.

I don't need to remove the engine harness.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben
Luke M
Ben,

Check the classic thread section. SirAndy made a thread with a lot of useful info. You will need to remove the back pad, seats, center carpet section, pedal board, and fuse panel. And that's just a start. Under the dash part is gonna be a bear. I removed the whole dash assembly but I was stripping my car down for other reasons.
Best of luck. Take lots of pics and label things prior to removal.

Here's the link :

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13582
barefoot
The harness section going forward is fairly simple as everything fits thru the hole in the front firewall.
The rear section is a bear and you'll probably need to trash the snorkel as it's probably hardened and cracked already. 914 Rubber makes new replacements and you'll need that.
mepstein
I would remove the old harness from the front and back but would leave the old harness in the dash and remove it, switch by switch as you install the new harness. What I’m suggesting may be difficult but easier than starting from scratch with the new one. If you can’t do it that way, remove the switches from the dash but keep the wires attached to the back of the switches and gauges as a group until you can transfer each switch over to the new harness.

The interior of our cars removes in minutes but I’m not sure how you could do the rear harness without dropping the engine and trans.
Ben Nichols
Thanks guys...useful. I have printed off loads of instructions.

The idea of dropping the engine and trans again doesn't excite me....
mepstein
QUOTE(Ben Nichols @ Feb 14 2019, 10:39 AM) *

I'm sure there is someone who has done it with the engine in but what a pain it would be. The old wiring is so stiff. And there's always something else to do with the engine out. Did you replace all your fuel lines yet?
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2019, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Ben Nichols @ Feb 14 2019, 10:39 AM) *

I'm sure there is someone who has done it with the engine in but what a pain it would be. The old wiring is so stiff. And there's always something else to do with the engine out. Did you replace all your fuel lines yet?

I think he could do it if the new wiring is really new wiring (or at least not as stiff as what he is taking out). He can cut up the old stuff so it's easier to remove from the tunnel and then do the worm under the firewall to guide the new stuff through. It will be a bitch to make the split after the firewall. It might be easier to drop the engine again.......nevermind!
porschetub
I think that's just too much work and expense unless your old one is in a very poor state,plenty of folks have masked them up and had great resprays,don't make it harder than it needs to be,you can repair a bad harness if you do it right.
Plenty of ways to spend more $$$ usefully on a 914 biggrin.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.