Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater lever electrical refurb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
One of my winter projects was to install a new set of heat control cables from 914 Rubber. My old ones were always too short, causing heat to roll into the cabin year round. When I disconnected the wire from the bottom of the heat control lever, the spade terminal that powers the fan broke off.

Click to view attachment

This circuit relies on the blob of brass? on the back side to make contact with the metal of the lever, grounding the circuit and allowing the fan to run.

Click to view attachment

I tried drilling out the old connection, but it started spinning on me. Next step was to use a Dremmel tool with a cut off wheel to grind one side down. Unfortunately, this heated up the plastic and effectively melted the connection out of the plastic piece. Luckily, there was still enough meat left on the plastic for my plan to work.

If I ever need to fix another one, I will work a little at a time with the Dremmel, letting things cool down to avoid the melting problem.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I took a trip the nut and bolt section of my local ACE Hardware in search of a solution. I found a #8 X 32 brass, round head machine screw. The screw head had nearly the same dimensions as the original blob. I matched it up with a brass nut and some washers. I couldn't find a connection like the original, so I used a crimp ring terminal mated with a short piece of wire and a crimp spade terminal. I cut the excess length off the screw.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I installed everything and tested it. This assembly is a tight fit in the tunnel. On my first pass, I had a problem with the fan running constantly. I realized that the brass nut was touching a tube in the tunnel, grounding out and powering the fan. I just removed a washer to correct it.
mepstein
Bob - Nice work but the other solution would be to text me and I'll send you one. beerchug.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2019, 04:40 PM) *

Bob - Nice work but the other solution would be to text me and I'll send you one. beerchug.gif

Thanks Mark - appreciate the access to you parts stash. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.