Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Ear Jig
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I made this jig as parts of my Celette bench project, specifically with this yellow car in mind. Finally got to doing the work and this beauty worked perfectly. I'm also surprised by just how far off it would have been by just lining up the new metal with the old. This is inevitable with reproduction parts. But that's just part of the game. Now I know and now I've got the jig to make doing it right a lot easier.

Purchase and Rental:
1. Rental: These will be rentable for $100 for 2 weeks, $150 for a month.
2. Purchase: To own a set, it'll be $350 for the pair or $250 for just the right side.

These will take me 2-3 weeks to assemble and ship.
mepstein
Would you be willing to make some for sale?
I’ll send money as soon as you come up with a price.
@McMark
76-914
That is an excellent idea. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. Every time I read a thread re: replacing that suspension ear I think about how critical that dimension is and how easily it could be attached incorrectly. Great addition to your tool box and the 914 community. beerchug.gif
Olympic 914
Wouldn't you need two? A right and a left.
McMark
Mark, I'll look into it and let you know.

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 26 2019, 11:56 AM) *

I have two... beerchug.gif

Yes, they're different for left and right.
bbrock
I would have bought one of these when I was doing mine. Would that jig also work in reverse to locate the outer suspension console from a correctly positioned ear?
mepstein
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 26 2019, 11:56 AM) *

Yes if needed. Most of the time it’s the right/passenger suspension consoles that went bad because rain water washing over the battery and down to the suspension accelerated the right side damage.
enf2232
Since I was the Guinea Pig do I get a cut of the action? biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 26 2019, 12:10 PM) *

I would have bought one of these when I was doing mine. Would that jig also work in reverse to locate the outer suspension console from a correctly positioned ear?
I would say No, it's won't work that way. The outer section is very accurate due to having three mounting holes. The jig is self aligning when mounted on the outer. To do the reverse, you would have to spend more time ensuring the accuracy, because the single mounting hole would allow for quite a bit of movement and essentially infinite rotation options. Also, the outer holes must be in the correct PLANE to be accurate. The inner hole simply has to be at the correct POINT in space. As long as the pivot shaft bolt goes through the hole, it's correct. But that being said, it wouldn't be too difficult to add a third branch to include the motor mount and then I'd have a jig that could be used for inner, outer, OR motor mount replacement with confidence. idea.gif

QUOTE(enf2232 @ Feb 26 2019, 07:16 PM) *

I'll make sure your residuals get forwarded to you. Just don't go shopping for swimming pools just yet.
IPB Image

av-943.gif
bretth
Very nice work.

BTW the subject of this thread sounds like a song one could dance to. biggrin.gif
914forme
I would love a set also, I have a set from Tangerine Racing from the raised pickup point kit.
PatrickB
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 27 2019, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 26 2019, 12:10 PM) *

I would say No, it's won't work that way. The outer section is very accurate due to having three mounting holes. The jig is self aligning when mounted on the outer. To do the reverse, you would have to spend more time ensuring the accuracy, because the single mounting hole would allow for quite a bit of movement and essentially infinite rotation options. Also, the outer holes must be in the correct PLANE to be accurate. The inner hole simply has to be at the correct POINT in space. As long as the pivot shaft bolt goes through the hole, it's correct. But that being said, it wouldn't be too difficult to add a third branch to include the motor mount and then I'd have a jig that could be used for inner, outer, OR motor mount replacement with confidence. idea.gif

QUOTE(enf2232 @ Feb 26 2019, 07:16 PM) *

I'll make sure your residuals get forwarded to you. Just don't go shopping for swimming pools just yet.
IPB Image

av-943.gif

I might be interested depending on price.. I'm thinking I might need a set down the road.
rick 918-S
After I picked up the fixture set you made for me I received an email from a local MN member wanting me to fix a cracked suspension ear on his race car. So put me down for a set and send them with that long repair panel I forgot to grab.

BTW fellas, I had eyes on that jig. It's a nice piece.
jtprettyman

That's a great explanation of GD&T in a practical, real-world application there.
johnhora
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2019, 08:21 AM) *

Would you be willing to make some for sale?
I’ll send money as soon as you come up with a price.
@McMark

agree.gif ....DITTO

Only other requirement I have is you put your cool logo on it like my other tool biggrin.gif
BeatNavy
Mark, I would probably be up for one as well.
McMark
I worked up pricing on making these and here's how it'll break down:

2. Purchase: To own a set, it'll be $350 for the pair or $250 for just the right side.

mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 4 2019, 09:12 AM) *

I worked up pricing on making these and here's how it'll break down:

I'll take a pair. Edit - Just paid. I doubt I would need to replace the driver side but at the very least, it will make a nice jig to check alignment of the console. No rush and thanks for doing these. beerchug.gif
Luke M

Hi Mark,

I have a question about this. I'm going to be replacing the whole right long with a factory part and want to make sure all is well prior to welding it in. My question is you mentioned using a third point for reference. In my case it's going into a factory 6 so there's no engine mounts next to the inner ear. I know there's a factory measurements from the firewall to the inner ear. What would your thoughts be on this.

I have a jig/frame built to hold the chassis but that doesn't mean that things are within factory specs. I would rather install it correctly the first time then have to redo it. Measure a 100 times weld once.. I maybe in for a set of these as well.

McMark
A replacement that large really should be on the Celette bench.

But if you're gonna go without I could make a version where the left and right are attached together. That's still no guarantee things are in the right place though. Going from left to right is a pretty long piece. So small variations get compounded. So if you're basing everything off the left and that's off by 1°, that'll translate to the right being off 25mm or 1". yikes.gif So honestly, I feel like I'd be giving you false confidence.

The big scary part is what I mentioned in the original post. The replacement panels don't necessarily match perfectly. Original pieces may be better, but at this point I'd have a hard time trusting any replacement metal. So if you just line things up, you may feel confident, but it may not be right just because the pieces lined up. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
mepstein
Received mine. Very pleased. Thank you for making them and making them available to us.
smilie_pokal.gif

@mcmark
vintage914racer
@McMark PM sent regarding rental. My car is scheduled to go under the knife next week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.