Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Headlight Bulb Failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I am noticing that LED bulbs are not holding up very well. Is it just the luck of the draw on quality control? I replaced all 4 bulbs on my truck. One had died this morning. I real PITA to replace because grill has to come out. 2nd set of bulbs this year.

I have also noticed the LED's at the house are dying early too.

Just my bad luck?
Chi-town
They're real sensitive to voltage variations and heat.
timothy_nd28
It's the reason why I've been holding off. Lots of heat and leadfree solder. Sorry to hear
76-914
popcorn[1].gif
914Sixer
We have had some good cold snaps this winter., then the temperature jumps back to the low 70-80's .
Spoke
The actual LED component is probably good. With LED lights there's a lot of circuitry around the LED to make it work correctly. Heating and cooling, and vibrations are all bad for the LED circuitry.

Here's a BMW with some severe issues on the driver side brake lights.

Click to view attachment

This Nissan has one LED out on the passenger side.

Click to view attachment

The driver side brake/running LEDs are very dim on this Prius. Looks like all the LEDs are ok but the driving circuitry has issues.

Click to view attachment

Some of the round truck type LEDs which are out or having issues:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

whitetwinturbo
.........I see a lot of LED traffic lights with dead spots in SoCal blink.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 26 2019, 08:55 AM) *

I am noticing that LED bulbs are not holding up very well. Is it just the luck of the draw on quality control? I replaced all 4 bulbs on my truck. One had died this morning. I real PITA to replace because grill has to come out. 2nd set of bulbs this year.

I have also noticed the LED's at the house are dying early too.

Just my bad luck?

If you bought then from us we will replace them. We went through rigorous testing before we brought on the ones we did.
Just PM me if this is the case.
Thanks,
Mark
914Sixer
None of the LED's I was speaking about came from 914 Rubber.
JmuRiz
914Sixer, what brand leds were in the truck, just curious if they were full units or drop-in bulb replacements.

I've yet to install my sealed units on my 914 headlights or the board-units on the signal lights.
914Sixer
Just bulb replacements, don't know brand on lights. Came from the local auto store.
pt_700
having similar issues with an led tail light module on my klr650 (big single cylinder dual sport motorcycle). it's supposed to flash 5 times upon application of the brake, then on solid.

works fine with the key on or at idle, not at any engine speed above...

sounds like it's time for a new one...
914Sixer
LED update. I ordered some of the (new ?) 4 element headlight replacements. At least now if one element fails you still have 3 that will work. These have 5 yr replacement. Going to try this go round.
Spoke
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 12 2019, 10:19 AM) *

At least now if one element fails you still have 3 that will work.

Good luck with the new lights. The 4 LEDs may be in some sort of series/parallel combination. Each white LED drops about 3V so one might be able to put 4 in series with some sort of current limiter. Or they are connected 2 in series (6V) with 2 parallel strings.
914Sixer
Adding pictures of 2 element, then the last 2 of the 4 element. 4 element seems to produce more usable light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.