Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal FI tech day?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
With FI being a hot topic of discussion here what would y'all think about having a tech day where we pull carbs off and put FI back on a couple cars?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 25 2019, 01:01 PM) *

With FI being a hot topic of discussion here what would y'all think about having a tech day where we pull carbs off and put FI back on a couple cars?

Not likely to happen in one day on one car much less two in a day.
What is there to teach that is not in the manuals?
Tdskip
Hi Bruce - I think the process of actually doing it is somewhat different than just reading the manual, and all the tech days that I’ve helped organize for cars of this vintage the shared experience of doing it as a big plus. That was certainly true for the transmission day that we did last year.
mgphoto
I would be willing to impart some of the knowledge I’ve come across (mostly from the street) probably just need a chalkboard.
Bleyseng
Fly me down and I will show you all the tricks
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 25 2019, 04:11 PM) *

Bleyseng
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 25 2019, 04:11 PM) *

Tdskip
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 25 2019, 06:11 PM) *

Would it be OK to record the session so it becomes part of the knowledge base here?
Chi-town
D-Jet repair?

I can install a pair of Weber's and a 3 psi fuel pump in under a day smilie_pokal.gif laugh.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Mar 25 2019, 08:55 PM) *

D-Jet repair?

I can install a pair of Weber's and a 3 psi fuel pump in under a day smilie_pokal.gif laugh.gif

Well you’re no fun
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 25 2019, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 25 2019, 06:11 PM) *

Would it be OK to record the session so it becomes part of the knowledge base here?

Sure
Tdskip
[quote name='Bleyseng' date='Mar 26 2019, 10:16 AM' post='2700148']

[/quote]
Sure
[/quote]

I think that could be a great resource for the community.

Would need to be late April or early May.

I can host indoors.

Can we get a roll call of people in greater SoCal who have a car they want to convert back please?
Bleyseng
I know I could install, tune a Djet FI set up on a car less than a day. All the parts have to be there, injectors tested good etc. Gawd, it's not that hard nor Rocket science. Tuning the MPS is the hardest .....
Tdskip
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 26 2019, 11:38 AM) *

I know I could install, tune a Djet FI set up on a car less than a day. All the parts have to be there, injectors tested good etc. Gawd, it's not that hard nor Rocket science. Tuning the MPS is the hardest .....

That’s kind of what I was thinking too.

What I’m imagining is getting three or four cars where people have completed a checklist of what they need to have available and is known to be good/new/tested. We do one as an example and then have other people crank, or go step-by-step so everyone’s in sync and just knock it out.

What do you all think?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 26 2019, 09:54 AM) *

What I’m imagining is getting three or four cars where people have completed a checklist of what they need to have available and is known to be good/new/tested. We do one as an example and then have other people crank, or go step-by-step so everyone’s in sync and just knock it out.

What do you all think?

Keep un mind that going back to FI requires a diffenent fuel pump and installation of it. Early and kate fuel pump locations. That in it self is a project.
Tdskip
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 26 2019, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 26 2019, 09:54 AM) *

What do you all think?

Keep un mind that going back to FI requires a diffenent fuel pump and installation of it. Early and kate fuel pump locations. That in it self is a project.

Good point. If the fuel pump is already located in the rear of the car, most likely on the firewall, that should be a fairly easy swap, right? Would it be more difficult if it’s located upfront?
Bleyseng
Just requires pulling the gas tank which hard if full!
914_teener
I.d agree with Geoff.

Everything can be tested before and valve and harness known to be good beforehand.

A good day......

I.d use a wide band to set the MPS.

Buy Geoff the plane flight or have the attendees pitch in.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 26 2019, 02:07 PM) *

I.d agree with Geoff.

Everything can be tested before and valve and harness known to be good beforehand.

A good day......

I.d use a wide band to set the MPS.

Buy Geoff the plane flight or have the attendees pitch in.

Hey Rob-thanks for the note and hope you’re doing well. I think a pretty strict checklist of what Hass to be done/on hand etc. would be critical but it could be a pretty good event. Having people switch the flight makes it very cost-effective.
RFoulds
I can tell you my method, having now converted 6 cars back to either D jet or L jet.

I buy all the parts, check them thoroughly, send off the injectors to be rebuilt, locate the new fuel pump, buy a new FI harness from Bowlsby, then take the whole thing to Don Kravig to have him install it. smile.gif .

Yes, thats probably cheating.
Tdskip
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Mar 26 2019, 05:31 PM) *

I can tell you my method, having now converted 6 cars back to either D jet or L jet.

I buy all the parts, check them thoroughly, send off the injectors to be rebuilt, locate the new fuel pump, buy a new FI harness from Bowlsby, then take the whole thing to Don Kravig to have him install it. smile.gif .

Ha, maybe, but good option in any case (in terms of being ready)

We’d be doing the same except doing a group install.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Mar 26 2019, 03:31 PM) *

headbang.gif forgot about Don. Never used him but know he's the man in Inland Empire (SoCal), or used to be.

Oscar
Tdskip
Anyone else interested?
mark04usa
I already went through this operation years ago...just want to encourage you to press on with this great idea. beerchug.gif Move forward from carbs to modern world of FI...best choice for a stock type IV engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.