Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Pedal Friction Point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Some years ago, Dr Evil made a colorful diagram. I added some to it for my clarification.....

Click to view attachment

link to the post.... his famous 31 page PDF is there too.

Since the rain in TN has stopped, I have been driving a good bit this early spring. I have noticed that my "friction point", at least I call it that, has moved lower. It has always been at 3 or 4, IIRC. Last night I noticed that my pinky toe of my left foot was hitting the inner fender and the car was creeping forward as I eased into the garage.

I have always tried to depress the clutch with left side of my foot. Big feet, or shoes piratenanner.gif , not much room to completely depress.

Anyway, is it as simple as Dr Evil makes it out to be? My thought was to tighten the clutch cable this evening.

I have not heard any grinding. All shifting is good. The free play looks to be ok. I might try to find a way to actually measure it before i adjust, but it looks ok. Wouldn't the free play have increased if the cable is stretching? Maybe it has?? does a very slight cable adjustment move the friction point a good amount?

Thoughts???
malcolm2
Bump
jfort
I’ve always heard it described as “free play” and expressed in inches. The disengagement should start when depressed x inches. Thus, on the way out, the pedal completes the engagement and can still move back and forth freely that amount. I can’t remember the amount. At least an inch, maybe two. If it’s too tight the clutch won’t be fully engage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.