Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 go kaplooie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shawnhayes
Guess I knew it was coming.

Old car, bought for track.

The warning signs had been there.

When I went around hard right turns, smoke came out of the tailpipe.

Oh well - shortly before the "kaboom"

user posted image
shawnhayes
And after:

user posted image

The engine lid actually BLEW OPEN from the force of the explosion
shawnhayes
Notice the itty bitty bits of metal strewn about the engine compartment:

user posted image
shawnhayes
Huge chunk of SOMETHING inside the engine bay (head, block? I can't tell - haven't completed a postmortem yet)

user posted image

Anyway - now looking for an old motor to throw in. Any suggestions??? (oh, needs to be cheap - this is a track car, and not a concourse car)

Shawn
redshift
ouchy... my throat is dry..

sad.gif

M
jdogg
That looks like turn 4 at VIR.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

What configuration were you running? North course? Full?
shawnhayes
QUOTE (jdogg @ Jun 23 2005, 06:09 AM)
That looks like turn 4 at VIR.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
What configuration were you running? North course? Full?

That would be correct.

Course configuration was VIR GRAND EAST - first time a club ever got to run it.

I actually didn't like it much. Too complex and too many VERY low speed turns - I think that's what added the extra stress.

Oh, anybody think this would work as a replacement?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=SF&f=18

Shawn

ws91420
Hey Shawn saw a yellow one in Lynchburg for sale with a luggage rack on Rivermont one day. Also I'm moving out of the area to Fredericksburg or I would offer to help work on it.
Joe Ricard
the big piece is not piece of head. My guess is top of engine case between two case bolts. Rod collision once it came loose from the piston. Rebuild it better with a balance of all rotating bits.
Cap'n Krusty
Classic case of not doing a valve job when you needed one. Loose guides, stretched valve, bang ....................... The Cap'n
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jun 23 2005, 02:08 PM)
Rebuild it better with a balance of all rotating bits.

Bet there won't be much left to rebuild of that engine...
Joe Ricard
Oh yea, But don't everyone have at least one spare motor like ready ro go in the car?

Or is that just me. confused24.gif

I didn't think so. Hell I got like a spare almost everything. cept well you know. wink.gif
shawnhayes
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Jun 23 2005, 08:30 AM)
Hey Shawn saw a yellow one in Lynchburg for sale with a luggage rack on Rivermont one day. Also I'm moving out of the area to Fredericksburg or I would offer to help work on it.

Saw that as well. Went looking for it the other day - no go. Not on Rivermont anymore.

Good luck in Fredricksburg.

Shawn
shawnhayes
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 23 2005, 10:29 AM)
Classic case of not doing a valve job when you needed one. Loose guides, stretched valve, bang ....................... The Cap'n

Umm - I don't have the psychic powers to necessarily know when to do a valve job. Engine ran great, sounded good, valves adjusted well. Is there a suggested "schedule" for a valve job on these cars?

Of note, this body has WAYYY too much rust to be doing "ground up" restorations on individual parts - but makes a hell of a fun track car.

Shawn
shawnhayes
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jun 23 2005, 06:24 PM)
Oh yea, But don't everyone have at least one spare motor like ready ro go in the car?
Or is that just me.   confused24.gif
I didn't think so.  Hell I got like a spare almost everything. cept well you know. wink.gif

I do indeed have a spare block and heads, but they are reportedly "bad" - I haven't torn it down to look. How much would a rebuild cost (I can't plan on doing this one myself - serious time shortage involved - I can pull a full weekend off every few months, but that's about it).

Shawn
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.