Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dying Faded Carpets - Shared
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
branston
I recently bought a very nice 924S to use while my 914 is worked on this summer, A very nice car with just 47k miles and two documented owners.

Car was let down by its shabby faded floor mats, the over-mats were original to the car and even had the original documentation on 'How to keep your Porsche carpet floor mats looking their best' Not thinking there was much I could do with them I invested in a pair of Coconut mats for the driver and front passenger from cocomats.com. I bought them in red/black to compliment the cars red exterior and they really are well made mats, in fact far better than I ever imagined. I thought once my 914 was done I'd invest in a set for it.

Then by chance I stumbled on Detail Kings carpet dye kit, with nothing to much loose if I messed up the faded carpet I bought the black kit complete with their their spray bottle.

Too wet to do much today I thought I'd give it a try, I'd previously discretely washed the mats in the washing machine sunglasses.gif. simply mixing the dye with warm water and spraying it on the mats followed by working it in with a scrub brush, no odor either. The result is remarkable!. I taped the Porsche text with painters tape to save it. I think you'll agree they came out really well.

dye kit cost me $32 shipped! www.detailking.com

Before:

Click to view attachment

After:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My 914 has a brown interior and the carpets are the originals, I plan to dye them too.
Big Len
What a great idea.
Tom_T
+1 thumb3d.gif

I also had good results dying the center carpet mat in the most used center section of our `88 Westy camper, although I had to use a mix of their DK grey dyes in several applications, in order to get it to match the original color.

It was the OE carpet, so I needed it to match the rest of the carpet which was unfaded, & I was able to clean all of the other carpet & upholstery with Folex (by Waxie, based in Santa Ana CA & sold @ Home Depot, etc.).

Make sure to test all products in an unseen or "hideable" area first!

That was 2013 or 14 & it's held up well with time.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.