Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wire Harness Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPic
I started cleaning an inspecting the harness for a August 1972 car. I found one main issue of melted wires, that I will replace.

Does anyone know where I can get the correct color and size wire to replace this? Looks like I'll need about 30 feet as both wires are melted from beginning to end. Luckily it didn't melt any others in the harness. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

This next one is in the wiper motor portion of the harness. I started removing the casing from the connectors and worked my way up and found this wire terminated as you see it. so it comes from the main harness and did a loop as pictured but wasn't connected to anything just taped into the bundle. Is this normal? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The 3rd issue I found was coming from the fresh air box connection one of the red wires was cut and there is no other red wire in the harness that it would have been connected to. Again, is this normal? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Fourth issue is the 14 pin connector. Where can I get one?

Click to view attachment

Thanks everyone. Any assistance is greatly appreciated! beerchug.gif
914werke
Brad ring me I can probably help smile.gif
bbrock
What colors and lengths do you need? If fairly short, I'll check my my stash of leftovers. Otherwise, you can try Rhode Island Wiring for hard to find stuff: http://www.riwire.com/

The taped up wiper motor wire is normal. That's for the optional interval wiper relay.

Cut wire for fresh air is not normal but I don't know off the top of my head where it goes.

Place a WTB for the connector. They are still available new but insanely priced. I got a nice one from a member for a reasonable price.
BPic
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 8 2019, 11:15 AM) *

Brad ring me I can probably help smile.gif

Hey Rich, I'll call later today. Thanks
BPic
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 8 2019, 11:17 AM) *

What colors and lengths do you need? If fairly short, I'll check my my stash of leftovers. Otherwise, you can try Rhode Island Wiring for hard to find stuff: http://www.riwire.com/

The taped up wiper motor wire is normal. That's for the optional interval wiper relay.

Cut wire for fresh air is not normal but I don't know off the top of my head where it goes.

Place a WTB for the connector. They are still available new but insanely priced. I got a nice one from a member for a reasonable price.

Hi Brent,
Thanks for the offer and the info. I need about 30 feet of the grey with red stripe as in photo below. I know. 30 feet is a lot. Damn thing melted from fuse box all the way to the passenger turn signal. If don't have that much I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

Click to view attachment

Thanks again Brent I do appreciate it!! beerchug.gif

bbrock
Yeah, I'm not going to have that much. If Rich doesn't have what you need, give Rhode Island a try. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
best thing is to purchase a used wiring harness for the wires alone,. Many of us have these used harnesses that are by no means perfect but a perfect donor to fix yours

QUOTE(BPic @ Apr 8 2019, 08:04 AM) *

I started cleaning an inspecting the harness for a August 1972 car. I found one main issue of melted wires, that I will replace.

Does anyone know where I can get the correct color and size wire to replace this? Looks like I'll need about 30 feet as both wires are melted from beginning to end. Luckily it didn't melt any others in the harness. piratenanner.gif

This next one is in the wiper motor portion of the harness. I started removing the casing from the connectors and worked my way up and found this wire terminated as you see it. so it comes from the main harness and did a loop as pictured but wasn't connected to anything just taped into the bundle. Is this normal? confused24.gif

The 3rd issue I found was coming from the fresh air box connection one of the red wires was cut and there is no other red wire in the harness that it would have been connected to. Again, is this normal? confused24.gif

Fourth issue is the 14 pin connector. Where can I get one?

Thanks everyone. Any assistance is greatly appreciated! beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
Look at Rhode Island Wiring Services

I’ve heard nothing but good things and intend to use them as a wiring source when I get to your stage of the game.

They have a very large selection of wire gauges vs tracer colors and patterns
914werke
Brad, got you covered.
SirAndy
The brown/black wire going to the wiper motor is for the (optional) intermittent relay.

Briefly mentioned here since you can also use it as a trigger for an aftermarket electrical washer pump and have water spray when you pull the lever towards you (4 runs of the wipers).
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

bye1.gif
BPic
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2019, 05:40 PM) *

The brown/black wire going to the wiper motor is for the (optional) intermittent relay.

Briefly mentioned here since you can also use it as a trigger for an aftermarket electrical washer pump and have water spray when you pull the lever towards you (4 runs of the wipers).
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

bye1.gif

Thanks Andy! I was thinking about adding this and will follow your tutorial. beerchug.gif
BPic
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 9 2019, 04:14 PM) *

Brad, got you covered.

Yes you do. As always I appreciate it Rich. You've saved me several times and always ship fast! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.