Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for those of you without heat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldozer27
What do you use to cap the holes in the rear of the longs where the heat exchanger hoses are normally attached?
bbrock
Spray paint caps fit perfectly. I used them to keep media out while blasting the car.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 8 2019, 09:17 PM) *

Spray paint caps fit perfectly. I used them to keep media out while blasting the car.

Yup. Secure with a hose clamp and it almost looks stock.
914Toy
2” black plastic pipe caps fit perfectly - use some glue to secure them.
BPic
I deleted my heat as well and went a different route. I wanted something a little more permanent but had to be removeable if needed so I found these SS caps that the beer brewers use on their equipment. I drilled a hole in the center and used a SS Allen head bolt. I took a 2.5" piece of steel about a half inch wide and welded a nut to it. The steel fits across the hole, inside, and the bolt snugs it nice and tight. I brushed on seam sealer as a "gasket" and then brushed on seam sealer like the factory and partially covered the cap. Looks pretty clean and it will be painted the same color as the car. I can't find any installed pics but will look again. Here is what I bought, and almost a perfect fit. The groove on the back fits on the lip of the holes.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Cut off bottom of a pop can and a thin bead of RTV, I use them for big and small holes just cut to size. Only meant to be temporary, but a preheater hole on my T1 engine has one that must be 25 years old now.
I also use paint can lids where they fit.
bbrock
QUOTE(BPic @ Apr 9 2019, 03:58 AM) *

I deleted my heat as well and went a different route. I wanted something a little more permanent but had to be removeable if needed so I found these SS caps that the beer brewers use on their equipment. I drilled a hole in the center and used a SS Allen head bolt. I took a 2.5" piece of steel about a half inch wide and welded a nut to it. The steel fits across the hole, inside, and the bolt snugs it nice and tight. I brushed on seam sealer as a "gasket" and then brushed on seam sealer like the factory and partially covered the cap. Looks pretty clean and it will be painted the same color as the car. I can't find any installed pics but will look again. Here is what I bought, and almost a perfect fit. The groove on the back fits on the lip of the holes.

Click to view attachment

@BPic and you call me "Mr. OCD"? poke.gif bye1.gif
BPic
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 9 2019, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(BPic @ Apr 9 2019, 03:58 AM) *

Click to view attachment

@BPic and you call me "Mr. OCD"? poke.gif bye1.gif

happy11.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 8 2019, 06:17 PM) *

CoronaMike
I don't think my holes are capped.... what's the down side?

BPic
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Apr 9 2019, 05:33 PM) *

You don't want critters and funk in your hole(s) lol-2.gif
worn
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 9 2019, 11:04 AM) *

yup

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 8 2019, 06:17 PM) *

Pop cans.
bdstone914
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Apr 9 2019, 02:33 PM) *

@CoronaMike
Dead rodents and nests in the longs. Ask Jamie Rust. w00t.gif
Bulldozer27
QUOTE(jmitro @ Apr 9 2019, 08:04 PM) *

+100, thanks for this recommendation beerchug.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 9 2019, 06:57 AM) *

Cut off bottom of a pop can and a thin bead of RTV,

You mean a soda can? happy11.gif stirthepot.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 12 2019, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 9 2019, 06:57 AM) *

Cut off bottom of a pop can and a thin bead of RTV,

You mean a soda can? happy11.gif stirthepot.gif

Yes...and it's not a beanie it's called a toque dry.gif

Hosers! Take off, eh? rolleyes.gif
mlindner
Sorry off topic, have any of you converted your seats to electric...Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.