Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
firstknight13
well i thought i was having a great day. the tire guy called and said my falken azien 615 rt 205/50/15 were in and come on down. well i had brand new empi 8 spoke repros for 6 months and couldn't wait to have them installed. went down paid $430.00 tx included mounted , balanced, alainged. they looked sweet on the car on the lift. so the tech says they have to drive the car off the lift and into the next bay... ok... he backs it up and 10 feet back he shuts it off and shakes his head.??? oh no what ??? the frigin rear wheels rub in the fender well. front is mint!!! what to do???call my new best teener friend and ask him!! chris says empi has wider offset!!! only thing i could do is put the new tires on the malhe's. tires are great!!! hug the road like glue!!! any sugestions??? i love the 8 spokes!!! cant roll the fender as i have new paint... thanks sad.gif
SirAndy
well, how much do they rub? the inner lip can be rolled without destroying the paint, if you're careful.

but if you need more clearance than that, you'll need to pull the fenders ...
smash.gif Andy
xsboost90
bah! just pull some camber plates!
SirAndy
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jun 23 2005, 08:14 PM)
bah! just pull some camber plates!

that might help 'ya too. again, if it's just rubbing a bit, adding some neg. camber (removing shims) might just do the trick ...

smash.gif Andy
rhodyguy
why roll the fenders, do thousands of $ worth of body damage, for $130 worth of wheels? rolleyes.gif pop for some panasports. same look, nice fit. why fuck up the rear alignment for $130...

k
Aaron Cox
im with kev on this....

get real offset wheels...

or have the tire monkeys pull some shims...

im runnin almost -2 deg of rear camber LOL
and 8" wheels soon to be in the rear screwy.gif smash.gif
firstknight13
if you pull off camber plates how much can you gain i need almost a finger width to clear??? what about lifting the rear??? and with what would you do it with?? thanks again you pros!!! smile.gif
TravisNeff
I am not sure how much you can gain by pulling shims, up to about -3 degrees? the downside is that you will wear through tires quickly on the inside edge. Any way you look at it, you are going to have to make some compromises, wheels, alignment or working over the fenders.
rhodyguy
i think camp914 has a set of panasports that might be for sale unsure.gif . you're going to go through $400+- worth of new tires in no time. you need to cut your loses. get proper wheels. i'll shut up now.

k
TonyAKAVW
I run the empi 8 spoke wheels on my car with 195/50 tires and have no rubbing issues. I don't know if they make the Azenis in that size...

(I have stock, un rolled fenders)

-Tony
TravisNeff
I had the 8 spoke empi wheels and 205x50 tires, had to do some work on the fenders to get those to fit as well.
Mueller
there should be a law against selling those POS vw bug rims to be used on 914's......same bolt-pattern, just a screwy offset for wider tires........I guess it was okay 20 years ago when everyone ran skinny little tires.....

only real option is get "real" rims, Fuchs, Mahles, Pedrinis, Panasports or Revolution smile.gif

or get a different size tire........

rhodyguy
once new tires are mounted they become USED TIRES. sad.gif esp if they've rubbed on the fender wells. bummer. until you decide what to do just source some steel wheels and clean them up. cheap and you can run the wide tires.

k
jr91472
Seems like everyone's car is a little different. I could only get 185s on my empi's. Also the primary reason I swapped them for 4 bolt fuchs.

good luck beer.gif
firstknight13
i guess i'l just have to buy another set of tires and run 195's on the empis and keep the 205's on the mahle's smilie_pokal.gif hey it's only money and us PORSCHE guys have plenty of it wink.gif
Joe Ricard
Azienis are fatter than your average 205/50-15. Just like Hoosier is is WAY fatter than even the Kumhos.

That's one reason the STS crowd is so nuts over the falken tires.
Funny when I bought the yellow car it had 205/60-15 on EMPI rims the lips were rolled in back and had lots of clearance well I could get my pinky inbetween. rolleyes.gif

the 205/50-15 Kumhos rubb the inner fender well without 1/4" spacer on Fuchs. GO figure. screwy.gif

Hoosiers just rub everywhere. Unless smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif got about 10,000 more whacks to go to make the fenders clear GUD and look Better. beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.