Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjustment Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbreitkreutz
Hello,
I have a 74 with a 2.0 + with solid lifters (SCAT cam and lifters), Weber IDF 44s,
open header (no heat exchangers) and Bursch exhaust.
It runs cool as I have a deep sump pan bringing the oil up to 5 qts.
Right now I adjust both exhaust and intake to .006 in. The valves are noisy.
So the question is how tight can I go without burning the valves??
MarkV
I wouldn't go any tighter than .06.

You could replace the rocker tips to swivels and install chromoly push rods. I think those get set at zero lash. You will have to shim the rocker stands and set the geometry.

Mine sounds like someone is shaking a coffee can full of rocks. Doesn't bother me.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
6 intake 8 exhaust, do NOT go any tighter!!! Better loose valves than tight ones. I like the sound of a bit of valve clatter in a 914

QUOTE(dbreitkreutz @ Apr 10 2019, 03:07 PM) *

Hello,
I have a 74 with a 2.0 + with solid lifters (SCAT cam and lifters), Weber IDF 44s,

Superhawk996
Valve clatter is a sign of air cooled character. piratenanner.gif

Ever heard the dry clutch rattle on a Ducati? Sounds like metal bits will explode any second with all those clutch plates jangling around. When you hear it, you know it's a Ducati.

Same with aircooled engines. aktion035.gif Bring the noise!
Mark Henry
With steel push rods you can run zero lash, different expansion rate, but they're noisy on their own.
With steel PR's you can really hear them if you run them with .006". wink.gif
porschetub
Clearances are the way they are to allow for engine expanding when it is up to temp,however if you have worn rocker gear and worn valve guides etc there will always be more noise that won't go away.
Worn guides are the start of further issues if on the exhaust side more than the intakes .
The worse thing to have is tight exhaust valve clearances ,kinda like a bomb waiting to go off in a T4 due to the exhaust valve having a higher rate of expansion.
Stick to the standard settings and you will be golden.
Carl La Fong
My friend has a 2.2 type four with steel push rods and adjusts to .003. With ceramic lifters he hasn't had to adjust valves in years. But then maybe he needs to but just doesn't. He's kind of a lazy bastid. av-943.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Apr 10 2019, 10:16 PM) *

My friend has a 2.2 type four with steel push rods and adjusts to .003. With ceramic lifters he hasn't had to adjust valves in years. But then maybe he needs to but just doesn't. He's kind of a lazy bastid. av-943.gif

I have ceramic lifters on my 2.6 T4 he should really be running zero lash, and ceramic lifters aren't magicail, you still have to do valve adjustments.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 11 2019, 08:55 AM) *

I have ceramic lifters on my 2.6 T4 he should really be running zero lash, and ceramic lifters aren't magicail, you still have to do valve adjustments.

I've got ceramics and cromo pushrods and still need to adjust my valves (though I run 0 lash).
I'm voting lazy bastard.

Zach
dbreitkreutz
QUOTE(dbreitkreutz @ Apr 10 2019, 03:07 PM) *

Hello,

Thanks for the info. I will stick to the .006 intake and .008 And just like the noise.
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 11 2019, 07:55 AM) *

He says they are not making noise yet so all is good right? av-943.gif
worn
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Apr 11 2019, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 11 2019, 07:55 AM) *

He says they are not making noise yet so all is good right? av-943.gif

I have noise, but then I have the chromoly and swivel feet. And a .006 lash. Too much? I like the sound.
Mark Henry
Jake dropped a ceramic lifter and it shattered like... well.... ceramic.
I believe there was a warning not to run excessive gap.

.003 is likely OK but not optimal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.