Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bolt Hole Empty?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
Hi,

As I was chasing a vacuum leak I found a seemingly important hole without a bolt? Is this be design?

The bottom hole is where the ground wires are attached - the hole above will assist in holding the Engine Together, could it hurt to add one there??????

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Chi-town
All the engines I've had there was no bolt.
jcd914
There would have been a bolt there from the factory.
Probably not a big deal if it is not there but putting a bolt there will do no harm.

Jim
bbrock
None of the 5 engines I've owned had a bolt there and it always bugged me. The PET doesn't show one there either. I just installed a CSP carb linkage bracket which uses that hole, and the one below for mounts. It doesn't bug me anymore. beer.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 13 2019, 05:29 PM) *

None of the 5 engines I've owned had a bolt there and it always bugged me. The PET doesn't show one there either. I just installed a CSP carb linkage bracket which uses that hole, and the one below for mounts. It doesn't bug me anymore. beer.gif

Also helpful if you want to suspend the rear of the engine from a crossbar when dropping the trans ....
Mark Henry
I've seen some 914 don't have it, but buses do.
I have a bolt in hook for this spot, how I lift engines onto my engine stand with my shop crane.
914_teener
The gathered white bundle of wire are grounds for your Fi systems of there are cracks in any of them I.d send it off to Jeff Bolwsby since yoi have it taken apart. Then..clean every contact point for electrical connections you have including the main ground strap.

You wont be sorry and won.t have to chase issues with your FI system ever again.

BTDT.
Al Meredith
I believe the tophole without the bolt is used by the factory to put a hook through for transport in the factory.
ctc911ctc
Great advice - will do - wires are in good shape, a bit stiff but no cracks, etc.

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 14 2019, 12:34 PM) *

The gathered white bundle of wire are grounds for your Fi systems of there are cracks in any of them I.d send it off to Jeff Bolwsby since yoi have it taken apart. Then..clean every contact point for electrical connections you have including the main ground strap.

You wont be sorry and won.t have to chase issues with your FI system ever again.

BTDT.

ctc911ctc
Thanks Mark, I am engineering a small crane for my very small garage.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 14 2019, 07:38 AM) *

I have a bolt in hook for this spot, how I lift engines onto my engine stand with my shop crane.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 14 2019, 04:41 PM) *

Thanks Mark, I am engineering a small crane for my very small garage.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 14 2019, 07:38 AM) *

Just looking at a late 1.7 and it definitely has the bolt, the air cleaner stand is bolted to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.