Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Help needed: Scale model to life size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
Hi all -
A customer wants me to make a full size car body based on a 1/24 scale model.

I need to scan the scale model, get the appropriate file format into something like Fusion 360 and Slicer to generate the .dxf files so I can cut the various stations for the body buck.

My plasma table has a router attachment and I plan to cut the stations from wood.

I'm not looking for a favor. This is a paying job.

Can you help me or do you know someone who can?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Optimusglen
A laser scan typically generates a point cloud, good enough for a polygonal model but not an engineering level nurbs model that you'd need. The point cloud or polygon model can be used as a "seed" to create the nurbs model. Which can then be manipulated to create the DXF cross sections to make the buck.

My main concern is about the source though, a 1/24 scale model may look very good at it's scale, but I think only the broad surfaces would transfer well to a full size vehicle. Maybe that's what you're going for.

The other thing that concerns me if if you're planning on incorporating these panels with an actual car. i.e. if I were to scan a door off of a 1/24 scale model, the chances of it being proportioned correctly to be used on the life size version are slim to none.

At any rate, to the heart of your question. I've looked into renting scanners and it can be done fairly economically for small scale stuff like that. I can't help with that portion but if you need someone to do the 3D model work I may be able to (depending of course on timeframe)

tygaboy
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 15 2019, 07:53 AM) *

A laser scan typically generates a point cloud, good enough for a polygonal model but not an engineering level nurbs model that you'd need. The point cloud or polygon model can be used as a "seed" to create the nurbs model. Which can then be manipulated to create the DXF cross sections to make the buck.

My main concern is about the source though, a 1/24 scale model may look very good at it's scale, but I think only the broad surfaces would transfer well to a full size vehicle. Maybe that's what you're going for.

The other thing that concerns me if if you're planning on incorporating these panels with an actual car. i.e. if I were to scan a door off of a 1/24 scale model, the chances of it being proportioned correctly to be used on the life size version are slim to none.

At any rate, to the heart of your question. I've looked into renting scanners and it can be done fairly economically for small scale stuff like that. I can't help with that portion but if you need someone to do the 3D model work I may be able to (depending of course on timeframe)

@Optimusglen - I was hoping you'd chime in! LOVE your work, btw.
Re:this project: It's a race car body, no doors or roof. My customer is aware of the possible scaling issues and initial review of the model has us thinking some modifications may be needed - and that's OK.
I'll PM you and perhaps we can talk over some details.
Thanks!
Chris
Mueller
At work I've used one of our CMMs with a laser scanner and PC-DMIS to reverse engineer some parts. The CMM software takes points and the with Creo I was able to stitch it all together. Pretty amazing and accurate.

No side jobs here at work unfortunately, however I know a place in Fremont that I took my training at and they should be able to do it for you, I'll PM you their info.

Funny fact on the job I did.

All the parts had a black anodize on them, I was getting terrible data at 1st then read an article about using spray on foot powder, it worked great after a few coats.

Krylon also has a spray that wipes off that is designed for dulling objects for photos and videos.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 15 2019, 08:46 AM) *

At work I've used one of our CMMs with a laser scanner and PC-DMIS to reverse engineer some parts. The CMM software takes points and the with Creo I was able to stitch it all together. Pretty amazing and accurate.

No side jobs here at work unfortunately, however I know a place in Fremont that I took my training at and they should be able to do it for you, I'll PM you their info.

Funny fact on the job I did.

All the parts had a black anodize on them, I was getting terrible data at 1st then read an article about using spray on foot powder, it worked great after a few coats.

Krylon also has a spray that wipes off that is designed for dulling objects for photos and videos.

Hi Mike - Great! Thanks for the info. I'll be in touch to talk details and catch up in general.
Chris
jd74914
Wrong coast, but, we've had quite a number of complex parts white light scanned and converted into solid models by BoltonWorks in East Hartford, CT. As Glen said the tough part is converting the point cloud to a NURBS surface. That is where their expertise lies. They've had a lot of practice with super complex engine geometries, so a car model should be easy.

https://www.boltonworks.com/

Not sure on cost since everything has been sponsored, but they do a fantastic job and output SolidWorks models (or others I would assume if desired). Definitely worth a phone call, Mark Bliek the owner is a super nice guy and very knowledgeable.

If you click on the FSAE part you can see a video with one of our old cars running. smile.gif
Chi-town
Another thing to consider is most "scale models" are not actually correct in proportion or scale
Mark Henry
If anyone wants a 1/2 scale Rich Johnson (copy) /6 engine mount I have one. smile.gif
maf914
tygaboy/Chris,

Can you tell us what 1/24 scale model you are scanning? idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.