Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgolia
Not sure what happened over the winter, but my oil pressure gauge is now pegged to the right. Worked fine all last driving season. Can a shot sender unit be the cause? Mine is really old. sad.gif
Tom_T
Try changing to clean oil & cleaning the sender good first, & check the wiring & connectors up to the console gauge. May just be gunked-up.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
Did you fiddle with the wires? Sounds like you switched the sending unit wire and ground wire on the gauge.

G stands for "Geber" which means sending unit in German, it's *not* ground ...
shades.gif
914Toy
QUOTE(rgolia @ Apr 15 2019, 01:41 PM) *

Not sure what happened over the winter, but my oil pressure gauge is now pegged to the right. Worked fine all last driving season. Can a shot sender unit be the cause? Mine is really old. sad.gif

My guess, wiring - check connections and then possible grounding.
Dave_Darling
Something electrical--
You unplugged the wire (though I think that would cause a zero reading rather than high)
You smashed the wire somewhere, shorting it to ground
The case of the sender is no longer grounded correctly
You hooked it up wrong

--DD
914Sixer
Wire touching ground. Sending wire gets brittle from heat, breaks insulation and touches the metal brackets that hold it. Now you have the sender grounded out.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 15 2019, 03:32 PM) *

Wire touching ground. Sending wire gets brittle from heat, breaks insulation and touches the mental brackets that hold it. Now you have the sender grounded out.

agree.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 15 2019, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 15 2019, 03:32 PM) *

Wire touching ground. Sending wire gets brittle from heat, breaks insulation and touches the mental brackets that hold it. Now you have the sender grounded out.

agree.gif

Either that or in the sender. Remove the se der wire from the sender. Connect an Ohm meter to the sender terminal G and to ground. If it shows continuity to ground the sender is bad. It should show a low resistance level and change with oil pressure change.
rgolia
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to snoop around and see if anything got messed up. I think I will start by taking the gauge out and wiring it direct to the sender. If it works, that should take a sender issue off the table.
Chi-town
Remove the wire from the sender if the gauge drops it's the sender, if it doesn't the wire is shorted to ground somewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.